• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An Amusing Postcard — An A4 at Barmouth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
I came across this postcard on a North Wales Nostalgia Facebook page, and I think we can be fairly sure that Barmouth was never visited by an A4.

Barmouth 1.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lucan

Established Member
They get everywhere, even to Surbiton.

[Google Street View of The Surbiton Flyer pub, near Surbiton Station, with A4 on pub sign]

surbiton_flyer.jpeg

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It's a (steam) train, what more do you need? Anything else is mere detail. ;)

Gloster

Established Member
There were also a number of occasions in the mid-1960s when they worked specials out of Waterloo.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
An A4 once appeared on a Saudi Arabian postage stamp for some unknown reason.

It caused a degree of excitement at the time it came out from people who thought it meant some A4s had been quietly exported after BR had finished with them!

sluf

funny as I always get mildly irritated by the Wigan Central Real Ale Bar (underneath Wigan North Western Station) window graphics showing an A4!

I know A4s have been through Wigan since privatisation but surely it could have been a stanier loco.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 11.17.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 11.17.57.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 33

6Gman

Established Member
funny as I always get mildly irritated by the Wigan Central Real Ale Bar (underneath Wigan North Western Station) window graphics showing an A4!

I know A4s have been through Wigan since privatisation but surely it could have been a stanier loco.
Ah, but Wigan Central was a Great Central station so maybe a Pollitt or Robinson loco?

:smile:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Extending this a bit (if I may) - not a pub (of course not, paradise forbid in this country) - but in Afghanistan, or possibly NW Frontier Province, where they used to paint their Bedford truck sides and cabs with large, colourful murals, I once spotted an unrebuilt Bulleid pacific gracing its way across barren landscape. Oliver himself would no doubt been tickled pink. It was green too.

If an Aberdonian wanted a holiday in Barmouth, they could have started their journey behind an A4: Aberdeen - Edinburgh - Crewe - Shrewsbury - Barmouth.

Harvester

Established Member
There were also a number of occasions in the mid-1960s when they worked specials out of Waterloo.
I can recall these specials out of Waterloo. Mallard did a couple (February 1963 and March 1963) prior to it’s withdrawal from BR service. Kingfisher did one in March 1966 and Sir Nigel Gresley another in June 1967 just before the end of SR steam. By then 60007 was running in private ownership as 4498.

Spartacus

Established Member
They get everywhere, even to Surbiton.

[Google Street View of The Surbiton Flyer pub, near Surbiton Station, with A4 on pub sign]

View attachment 140925

In York, within sight of the ECML, there's a former pub still with a Duchess thundering past on it's sign. The pub's name: The Jubilee! (though named after the road it's on, Jubilee Terrace, rather than the Stanier 4-6-0, it did once have a Jubilee on the sign)

70014IronDuke

Established Member
In York, within sight of the ECML, there's a former pub still with a Duchess thundering past on it's sign. The pub's name: The Jubilee! (though named after the road it's on, Jubilee Terrace, rather than the Stanier 4-6-0, it did once have a Jubilee on the sign)
That one has to be by a cheeky LMS man, surely?

Jubilees were regular visitors to York in steam days, of course - didn't the Bank Hall Jubs work Liverpool - Exchange - Newcastle services to York on a daily basis?

Spartacus

Established Member
That one has to be by a cheeky LMS man, surely?

Jubilees were regular visitors to York in steam days, of course - didn't the Bank Hall Jubs work Liverpool - Exchange - Newcastle services to York on a daily basis?

For a time, yes, though I think in reality they could turn out anything. It used to be carriage sidings that side, practically up to the front door, though it would have probably been a surprise to see a Jubilee in them.

Harvester

Established Member
Yes they did! When a young lad back in 1959 I saw my first Jubilee (45698 Mars) on that train (10:30 am Liverpool Ex-Newcastle) at York. A York A2/2 or A2/3 Pacific was booked for the run forward to Newcastle via the Durham coast route, but more often than not a V2 was provided. After the Liverpool LS-Newcastle service was revamped for diesel haulage from 2nd January 1961 the 10:30 ex Liverpool Exchange was cut back to York.

Taunton

Established Member
I believe Derby etc ones also used to get there on Bristol to Newcastle services.

Harvester

Established Member
I believe Derby etc ones also used to get there on Bristol to Newcastle services.
Bristol Barrow Road engines worked Bristol to York. Saw 45682 Trafalgar on a Bristol-Newcastle later in the day at York (post #17 above).

Status
Not open for further replies.