• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

An unusual 'signalling' problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnm

Established Member
Some disruption in the Worcester area this afternoon, publicly announced as signalling problems.

The actual problem:

Western Route Incident, Signaller issue at Henwick, update 16:35

All trains stopped at Henwick (Worcester Foregate Street) due to loss of contact with the Signaller at Henwick LC

Driver of 1P65 is walking to the signal box to investigate.

More when known

Update: Local Operations Manager is on site and the Signaller is stuck in the toilet...

:lol::lol::lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Well hopefully the signaller's not had a heart attack or something in the signal box.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Some disruption in the Worcester area this afternoon, publicly announced as signalling problems.

The actual problem:

:lol::lol::lol:

Wow what a shi+++r for the poor guy that's unless u r taking the p++s of course (I know...I'm a potty mouth lol)

Established Member
Where are the relief staff when you need 'em...?

Sorry! ;)

Batley Box is another regular loo-visitor. Many a time I've had a giggle whilst sat at Batley 6 and got a quite humourous explanation. You can actually see him running from the privy back up the steps.

Castleton Box gets the prize. He actually didn't turn up for work one Sunday.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Well it seems I just missed this incident, having left Foregate Street on the 1607 service - had I waited for my usual train home, the 1624, I fear I may have been affected. Phew! :shock:

Clip

Established Member
The puns in the comments on that story are worse than the ones on this thread

bnm

Established Member
'Mischievous web forum user'.

I've been called worse. :lol:

sutty

Had to log in for the first time in yonks to deliver a gem from my cohorts at work

"Surely there's a cistern in place to prevent these things!"

pinguini

Daily Mail also, referencing this forum on a few occasions
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rated-passengers-held-hour.html#axzz2KXca1GMW

Amanda Williams in The Daily Mail said:
'Signalman is stuck in the toilet': Excuse for delayed train revealed after frustrated passengers were held up for an hour

• The worker had dashed from his post to the nearby Victorian outhouse to answer a call of nature
  • But the embarrassed signalman had to be freed by colleagues when the lock became stuck
  • His cries for help were eventually heard coming from the brick toilet at the manned signal box at Henwick, St Johns, Worcester
Leaves on the line, the wrong kind of snow... passengers know all the usual reasons for train delays.
Now there’s a new one – signalman stuck in the toilet.

The hapless controller had dashed from his Victorian signal box to its outside toilet but was trapped inside when the lock jammed.

Meanwhile, passengers on the 15.13 Hereford to London service were forced to sit waiting because their train couldn’t proceed without a green light from the box at Henwick, near Worcester.

Eventually the driver – unable to make radio contact with the signalman – walked to the box where he heard cries for help.

Unable to free the man, he called in an operations manager and the door was forced open with a crowbar.

The Hereford to London train was delayed for more than an hour.

Publicly, rail bosses said the delay was caused by ‘signalling problems’.

The inconvenient truth was flushed out via a rail enthusiasts’ internet forum after one user posted the incident log online.

It reads: ‘Western Route Incident, Signaller issue at Henwick, update 16:35. All trains stopped at Henwick (Worcester Foregate Street) due to loss of contact with the Signaller at Henwick LC. Driver of 1P65 is walking to the signal box to investigate. Update: Local Operations Manager is on site and the signaller is stuck in the toilet...’

A Network Rail spokesman apologised for the disruption.

He said: 'Much of the railway is still controlled from Victorian signal boxes, which often have outside loos.

'Our plans to modernise the railway will see control moved to state-of-the-art regional control centres, where unfortunate incidents such as this simply wouldn’t be an issue.

'We apologise to anyone whose journey was delayed or disrupted.'

A number of website users took the opportunity to make cracks at the signalman’s expense.

One user, called tsr said: 'Where are the relief staff when you need ‘em...?'

Harbon1
added: 'Too busy filling in the signalman’s log.'

Status
Not open for further replies.