• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anglesey Central Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I see on the FB page about the line how much clearance work has been done now, it would be great for the island to get the line up and running in some way in the near future. I heard amwlch is a deep sea port that cruise liners could lay anchor at is this true ?
Octel must have had some big ships moored there in the past & if cruise ships could get the tourists on the island then on a heritage steam train to gerwen then onwards to other n Wales stations the boost for the economy would be great

It's just an idea
There is deep water off Amlwch, that's why Shell(?) built a tank farm near Rhosgoch, for Oil tankers to offload their loads, prior to pipeline trans-shipment to Ellesmere etc. It didn't see much use, though, as technology developed to allow offloading direct to the refinery.

The port of Amlwch itself is tiny, though: you wouldn't be able to use a very large boat to shuttle people on and off your cruise liner.

I tohough that the intention was that Llangefni-Amlwch would be operated as preserved railway while Llangefni > Gaerwen > Bangor would be TfW territory.
That has certainly been the intention in the recent past, but the lease announcement may have confused or misled me into thinking it was for more of the line.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.