• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annie Nightingale dies at 83

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm saddened to hear that Annie Nightingale, Radio 1's longest serving DJ, has departed. I wasn't a regular listener in the last few years, but I remember listening to her show after the Essential Mix. I thought she was bonkers!

Annie Nightingale, the first female presenter on BBC Radio 1 and the station’s longest-serving DJ, has died aged 83, the BBC has confirmed.

Her family said that she died on 11 January at home in London following a short illness. In a statement they described her as a “pioneer, trailblazer and inspiration to many. Her impulse to share that enthusiasm with audiences remained undimmed after six decades of broadcasting on BBC TV and radio globally.

If there is an afterlife, I hope they're prepared for a shock!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THC

Been listening to Annie since the 1980s and she always stayed ahead of the curve. As influential a DJ as John Peel in shaping my music taste and for that I will be forever grateful. RIP fabulous lady and thank you.

THC

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I used to listen to her on Sunday evenings. Such a mix of different music after listening to the ever blander top 40. This was one of her frequently requested tracks. Barnes & Barnes - Fish Heads

Gloster

Established Member
Although her Sunday evening programme was a regular for me in the 1980s, there were one or two of her choices that I loathe: Fish Heads is one record that I absolutely hate. I always reckoned that she enjoyed pushing things by playing Cristina’s version of ‘Is That All There Is?’ long after it was banned.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Met her in the early 1980's in a 4CIG first class compartment from Brighton when she was on her way to work. Charming person and we had a great conversation. Got a track played and a mention on air.

"Lazy Sunday Afternoon" being a favourite of hers to start the show.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Met her in the early 1980's in a 4CIG first class compartment from Brighton when she was on her way to work. Charming person and we had a great conversation. Got a track played and a mention on air.

"Lazy Sunday Afternoon" being a favourite of hers to start the show.
Yes, the Kinks, and Ray Davies in particular, were always ahead of their time. She had good taste.

Does anyone know when she changed her public name from Anne to Annie Nightingale? Wikipedia is silent on the subject, but at the time when I was listening to her occasionally she always used the former name.

peteb

Annie Nightingale played a request of mine on her Radio 1 show in the late 1970s. For a day or so I was famous at school! I always thought she was a polished and professional presenter who kept completely up-to-date with the music scene. She'll be sorely missed.