• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

AM9

Veteran Member
Not an advert per se, so I hope it's allowed. Sky Sports during football half time, a long ad break then less than 1 minute of the presenter then another ad break. What's the point? (I've no doubt it's money related with probable links to advert quotas).
Nowhere nearly as bad as when an overrun match crashes into an important regular programme such as the evening's news, (obviously not on a sports channel), yet rather than try to minimise the impact on other programmes, we are stuck with the pundits pontificating for 20 minutes making the disruption even worse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dangie

Established Member
Ian Botham advertising some foot massage machine claiming it is the ‘Best kept secret for aching legs & feet’.

For it to be a best kept secret, either they haven’t sold many and/or it isn’t any good or they would have sold more.

75A

Established Member
Ian Botham advertising some foot massage machine claiming it is the ‘Best kept secret for aching legs & feet’.

For it to be a best kept secret, either they haven’t sold many and/or it isn’t any good or they would have sold more.
How many years has that advert been running for?
It's not exactly a new one is it?

75A

Established Member
Exactly, and it’s still a ‘Best kept secret….’ :rolleyes:
Funny thing with that machine is, it could kill someone like me.
I've had 7 DVT's in my left leg which are still there, and using a machine like that could disturb one or more which could circulate to all sorts of places.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

Quite possibly the advertising agency the 'Revitive' business uses hasn't been doing its job all that well!

Lost property

A special mention for the endless fragrance ads, every other ad at times it seems, with the content seemingly devised by "creative minds" who may have been influenced by various substances.

Also, the Flash adverts, with the voice over by the bellowing Brian Blessed...enough to deter anybody from buying the product in the first place !

However, it's the dog I feel sorry for...an innocent and intelligent animal finding itself associated with dross.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Do the majority of homes in Britain have a dog that neccestiates having a vacuum cleaner to constantly remove dog hairs from the home....or is that just another of the fantasies resident in the minds of the "creative" staff in advertising agencies?

Hairy Bear

Unless it's poodle related that don't shed hairs then yes.
Most pet related vacuums have rotating brush bars which are more effective picking up hair's.
Unless of course you own our dog which requires being on your knees with a cloths brush.
Also varies due to the type of carpet you have. Sorry become a bit of a bore on this over the past year !

dgl

Established Member
As for dog vacuums, none of the adverts actually work, primarily as they are all for terrible vacuums, the manufacturer you want doesn't advertise on TV and that's Sebo.

AM9

Veteran Member
Do the majority of homes in Britain have a dog that neccestiates having a vacuum cleaner to constantly remove dog hairs from the home....or is that just another of the fantasies resident in the minds of the "creative" staff in advertising agencies?
Whether the ad agancies have fantasies or not, those requiring publicity for their goods or services continue to be quite happy to pay the high salaries of these creative staff so whether poster here like or dislike their work, they will continue in rewarding employment.

dgl

Established Member
There's a new advert encouraging people who are eligible to get the shingles vaccine, all well and good except this is not an NHS advert but one from the makers GSK, so basically a manufacturer advert for prescription medicine.

Forty29

A special mention for the endless fragrance ads, every other ad at times it seems, with the content seemingly devised by "creative minds" who may have been influenced by various substances.

Also, the Flash adverts, with the voice over by the bellowing Brian Blessed...enough to deter anybody from buying the product in the first place !

However, it's the dog I feel sorry for...an innocent and intelligent animal finding itself associated with dross.
Yes those flash adverts are annoying, prevelent on you tube to. Most irritating at the moment are the Etsy adverts, also the fairy liquid one where the kid is waiting for the bottle to make a spaceship.

Benters

The Harry's Razors advert with the guy hitting the high notes. Looks like somebody's kicked him in the nuts beforehand

Forty29

Also the Currys advert with staff eating the operating instructions of products, makes me gag. Paper is not meant for eating hope children don't try it.

dgl

Established Member
and with Curry's surely the only bits of a manual they need to read are the bits that help sell it, same with the Curry's training adverts, I wonder how much of that training is how to sell the stuff they need to get rid of and how much of it is actual product knowledge!

Northumbriana

Yes those flash adverts are annoying, prevelent on you tube to. Most irritating at the moment are the Etsy adverts, also the fairy liquid one where the kid is waiting for the bottle to make a spaceship.
It's not even a good spaceship. Kid has put in so little effort.

On the theme of Flash, there's that Glade advert (I think) where they insist you need to spray your bathroom because everytime you flush the toilet germs go everywhere. Rather than actually just close the damn toilet lid.

Northumbriana

"The best friends are always there for each other."

That's a bit of an unfair expectation from a bloody cream cheese advert. Imagine if you can't be 'there' for a friend at a time of need and they insist you should be because a cream cheese company said you should be.

dangie

Established Member
To help viewers to remember Currys. You've just proved that it works by this post, - money well spent by the ad men then. ;)
Yes you’re correct. I’ve remembered it. But it’s so stupid it would put me off buying from them. I think it’s money wasted.

Lucan

Established Member
To help viewers to remember Currys. You've just proved that it works by this post, - money well spent by the ad men then.
Who needs help to remember Currys? I'm well aware of them, but I have just bought a new TV not from Currys. The biggest factor in whom I bought from was who had the TV that I wanted (based on researching specs) in stock.

The money of those ad men falls on stony ground with me. I rarely even see an advert these days other than point of sale ones in shops, I don't often go into a shop anyway, and when I do it is with a prepared shopping list. But ads I do see usually put me off the brand by being patronising, or by depicting lifestyles or attitudes that I do not connect with. For example, some time ago there was a particularly silly ad for Quality Street chocolates, and since then the tub of chocolates I buy each Xmas period has deliberately been of a different brand; that ad was years ago but I don't forgive or forget such things.

AM9

Veteran Member
Who needs help to remember Currys? I'm well aware of them, but I have just bought a new TV not from Currys. The biggest factor in whom I bought from was who had the TV that I wanted (based on researching specs) in stock.

The money of those ad men falls on stony ground with me. I rarely even see an advert these days other than point of sale ones in shops, I don't often go into a shop anyway, and when I do it is with a prepared shopping list. But ads I do see usually put me off the brand by being patronising, or by depicting lifestyles or attitudes that I do not connect with. For example, some time ago there was a particularly silly ad for Quality Street chocolates, and since then the tub of chocolates I buy each Xmas period has deliberately been of a different brand; that ad was years ago but I don't forgive or forget such things.
All of that is obviously wasted on you, but other target audiences are available, and advertising obviously works so it is here to stay, (not to my liking but we live in a democratic society and anybody can ignore that which they don' like).

Lucan

Established Member
and advertising obviously works
Does it though? OK, it certainly does, but to the extent that the advertising industry wants us to believe? The advertising industry is very good at persuading its customers that it is very effective - being good at persuading people is its expertise after all.

For example if I see a new type of beer in the supermarket I will try it out of curiosity, unaware that it is being pushed on TV. The supermarket is putting it on the shelf because the ad campaign is going on. But the ad men will claim I bought it because of their ad. In fact I'd stick to London Pride if it was on the shelf, but it isn't; but it might re-appear if they run a TV campagn on it - and the ad men will call that a success.

Mrs L's widget-making company used to run a year long half-page advert in a trade magazine. At renewal time the magazine would send an attractive young lady rep to get the boss to sign for another year; it cost a very significant amount of money, but he got a card and a bottle of brandy at Xmas. Mrs L stopped that - the company was locally known in the trade anyway and it made no difference to their sales. Advertising is vastly over-blown and over-paid in this way. Some of richest companies in the world are rich not by making or selling widgets, but by selling advertising space (via a chain of middle-men) for companies that do actually make widgets. Google for example are at the top of an advertising pyramid, with companies like Mrs L's at the bottom feeding the money in.

dgl

Established Member
The audio equipment brand Behringer stopped attending trade shows and regular print advertising a while back and all their "advertising" is done through social media, although being a bit "controversial" at times and their low prices do help. They also claim that the cost savings of not advertising or doing trade shows are passed on to the consumer in lower prices.
They also generally now only give beta units out to beta testers who are actually knowledgeable about the product (and if it's a clone of something vintage that they have an original to compare it to), one clone even ended up in the hands of Jean-Michel Jarre for beta testing!

One thing adverts don't do is ask the consumer what they want, do everything through social media and you get feedback, positive and negative that can help improve a product potentially helping sales more than any advert can.

Sealink

The music that accompanies the Argos "Coronation Street" sponsorship really grates on me for some reason, as do their actual adverts with the doll and her friend.

AM9

Veteran Member
Does it though? OK, it certainly does, but to the extent that the advertising industry wants us to believe? The advertising industry is very good at persuading its customers that it is very effective - being good at persuading people is its expertise after all.

For example if I see a new type of beer in the supermarket I will try it out of curiosity, unaware that it is being pushed on TV. The supermarket is putting it on the shelf because the ad campaign is going on. But the ad men will claim I bought it because of their ad. In fact I'd stick to London Pride if it was on the shelf, but it isn't; but it might re-appear if they run a TV campagn on it - and the ad men will call that a success.

Mrs L's widget-making company used to run a year long half-page advert in a trade magazine. At renewal time the magazine would send an attractive young lady rep to get the boss to sign for another year; it cost a very significant amount of money, but he got a card and a bottle of brandy at Xmas. Mrs L stopped that - the company was locally known in the trade anyway and it made no difference to their sales. Advertising is vastly over-blown and over-paid in this way. Some of richest companies in the world are rich not by making or selling widgets, but by selling advertising space (via a chain of middle-men) for companies that do actually make widgets. Google for example are at the top of an advertising pyramid, with companies like Mrs L's at the bottom feeding the money in.
All of the above may be true but it is anecdotal and not necessarily representative of the target audience that major advertisers have in their sight. A lot of advertising is irritating to a lot of people but with targetting made possible by advanced metrics, the overall impact of business is the driver of budgets that pay for it year after year.
Online advertising is potentially even more irritating, - for instance the percentage of ad time vs selected material on you tube is approaching 25% on some clips, which renders some videos useless for their original content's purposes, (i.e. too many interruptions to digest the message).