• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Annoying television adverts...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Watching Johnny Depp in the "Sauvage" fragrance advert, I still cannot understand the storyline of a man and guitar, plus a veritable plethora of stacked amplifiers in a desert situation that shows a few chords being strummed then Depp just walking away, followed by what appears a breed of canines that normally do not live in such a desert area. Perhaps I must have missed the David Attenborough programme that talked of such desert-habiting canines...:rolleyes:
Although you may not be in the target audience of that ad, it has certainly made you aware of the brand and the product. There is no need for there to be a storyline to understand. Much of the advertising around now has a significant subliminal content that delivers the intended message. As an advert, it doesn't even need to be enjoyed in its role as part of a campaign.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Come on then, what perfume do you use @Xenophon PCDGS. I’m afraid I use Lynx, like most of the students I teach do.
The only aerosol spray that I use is Right Guard Extreme 72 hours...:oops:

Although you may not be in the target audience of that ad, it has certainly made you aware of the brand and the product. There is no need for there to be a storyline to understand. Much of the advertising around now has a significant subliminal content that delivers the intended message. As an advert, it doesn't even need to be enjoyed in its role as part of a campaign.
As you say, I am not in the target audience and what was portrayed just might well have been for toilet cleanser for all what was portrayed in the advert, as the product name only appeared extremely briefly at the end of the TV advert. Depp was not shown at any time using the supposed product....and neither were the canines..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lost property

A certain mattress trying to rival " The Greatest Story ever told " in length of time along with a surplus of scientific babble masquerading as advertising gloss and marketing hype..

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A certain mattress trying to rival " The Greatest Story ever told " in length of time along with a surplus of scientific babble masquerading as advertising gloss and marketing hype..

I know the one you're thinking of :lol:

I was quite taken aback when I saw it. It just went on and on. And on.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The first few times I saw that advert I thought it was Josh Henderson ( John Ross Ewing in the short lived Dallas revival a few years ago ); I only realised it was Johnny Depp after Googling the advert...

It doesn't make me any more likely to buy the product, I have to say...

McRhu

I 'watch' tv in the background. There's an advert that starts off with the first few bars of Dad's Army, then lapses into Bing crooning something or other that's got nothing to do with classic British comedic indulgence. it catches me out every time; raising my hopes that something good's coming on, then crushing them under a bitter avalanche of disappointment . Oy, Bing. No!!!

Those adverts for step in baths.
You see a lady immersed in bubbles then a moment later she’s stepping out of it looking all warm and dry with a big grin on her face.
In reality you’d have to get into the empty bath and seal shut the door on the side. Then, sitting in it as nature intended in a probably cold bathroom, you fill it up which takes 5 minutes or more. At this point you can enjoy your bath. Then when you want to get out, you have to completely empty the bath before you can open the side door unless you want to flood your bathroom floor. During this time you sit there wet, dripping and increasingly goose pimply. What you do if you need a pee during these proceedings is up to you and your imagination.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This new advert on TV for the National Lottery... instead of the girl spending ages searching stations for "frog phone guy" to return his winning ticket to him why the heck doesn't she just ring the phone number he wrote on the back of the bloomin' ticket...?!

Jimini

Established Member
This new advert on TV for the National Lottery... instead of the girl spending ages searching stations for "frog phone guy" to return his winning ticket to him why the heck doesn't she just ring the phone number he wrote on the back of the bloomin' ticket...?!

It (the number) got smudged in the rain didn’t it?

D6968

Those adverts for Virgin Airways with that bloody awful cover of ‘I am what I am’
I appreciate they’re trying to be inclusive, but when your hear it about 7 times a day it gets rather irritating.

AM9

Veteran Member
Those adverts for Virgin Airways with that bloody awful cover of ‘I am what I am’
I appreciate they’re trying to be inclusive, but when your hear it about 7 times a day it gets rather irritating.
Watching a channel that doesn't have advertisments would help remove that irritant. ;)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I propose the current Amazon "Yeti" campaign. Oh, and Tesco's "The Christmas Party" adverts.

In fact, let's just bin anything to do with C******** altogether! :)

AM9

Veteran Member
I propose the current Amazon "Yeti" campaign. Oh, and Tesco's "The Christmas Party" adverts.

In fact, let's just bin anything to do with C******** altogether! :)
Bah Humbug! :rolleyes:Roll on December, Whamageddon time.

Ediswan

Established Member
I quite like the Virgin Airways ad. I always think of the soundtrack as "The yam song".

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It (the number) got smudged in the rain didn’t it?

It would have been a lot easier to hand it to her from a drop light.

The moral of the story being that modern train design could impede young romance.

Benters

The festive 'Holidays Are Coming ' Coca-Cola advert really grates with me, and it's not just the cheesy song accompanying it. What we see is a line of articulated trucks snaking off into the middle distance, each with a tractor unit of about 500hp. How much pollution is that producing? Shame on you, Coca-Cola! It should be repurposed as a container train with 2-3 diesels maximum at the head.

D821

The festive 'Holidays Are Coming ' Coca-Cola advert really grates with me, and it's not just the cheesy song accompanying it. What we see is a line of articulated trucks snaking off into the middle distance, each with a tractor unit of about 500hp. How much pollution is that producing? Shame on you, Coca-Cola! It should be repurposed as a container train with 2-3 diesels maximum at the head.
Yes, I hate that advert. It annoys me how adults get excited seeing it for the first time in November, like it's a significant event.

Lost property

The Aeriel washing ad...where everybody seems to somehow get splattered...all over ! when mixing ingredients, but then, one wash later and bingo ! all pristine again.

Plus, as mentioned, all the Christmas ads....and a special mention for "Farmer (insert non printable adjectives of choice here) Christmas"

D821

The Aeriel washing ad...where everybody seems to somehow get splattered...all over ! when mixing ingredients, but then, one wash later and bingo ! all pristine again.

You can throw in any washing powder advert. As a parent, I've had plenty of white t shirts to wash covered in mud, gravy and tomato sauce and I can guarantee they won't come out quite like they do in the advert.

I was also going suggest toothpaste adverts for inventing new toothpastes that sound great but still clean your teeth just as well as any other. That reminded me of a certain Mitchell & Webb sketch:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

The "Celebrations" advert with two grown men acting like infants and making strange vocal sounds when they see boxes of these cheap "chocolates" and candy is even worse that the Dominos pizza advert for the portrayal of vocal cacophony.

philthetube

Established Member
Those adverts for step in baths.
You see a lady immersed in bubbles then a moment later she’s stepping out of it looking all warm and dry with a big grin on her face.
In reality you’d have to get into the empty bath and seal shut the door on the side. Then, sitting in it as nature intended in a probably cold bathroom, you fill it up which takes 5 minutes or more. At this point you can enjoy your bath. Then when you want to get out, you have to completely empty the bath before you can open the side door unless you want to flood your bathroom floor. During this time you sit there wet, dripping and increasingly goose pimply. What you do if you need a pee during these proceedings is up to you and your imagination.
Don't forget the tide marks on the persons chest either.

duncanp

Established Member
Plus, as mentioned, all the Christmas ads....and a special mention for "Farmer (insert non printable adjectives of choice here) Christmas"

As the late Sir Terry Wogan used to say, you are leaning against an open door with me on that one.

Farmer <expletive> Christmas.

No doubt some smart **** in an advertising agency thought it was clever and witty, but I find it annoying and offputting. <(<(

AM9

Veteran Member
Farmer <expletive> Christmas.

No doubt some smart **** in an advertising agency thought it was clever and witty, but I find it annoying and offputting. <(<(
No doubt, some marketing executive at Morrisons thought it worth spending the money required to make and screen the advert to remind viewers that Morrisons was there to shop at.

IanD

Established Member
No doubt, some marketing executive at Morrisons thought it worth spending the money required to make and screen the advert to remind viewers that Morrisons was there to shop at.
Most of the major stores spend a fortune on their Christmas adverts with months of planning. The amount of effort seems rarely reflected in the finished product.

AM9

Veteran Member
Most of the major stores spend a fortune on their Christmas adverts with months of planning. The amount of effort seems rarely reflected in the finished product.
Advertising campaigns are built to create an image as required for the products on offer, not to get the ad equivalents of Oscars, (although some do compete for marketing video awards). Every advert is part fo a much bigger drive, and only the organisation using them can measure their success. Meanwhile, we as the target audience can express opinions on what we see and hear, and occasionally are aware of the influence it was meant to direct.