• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another example of bad society

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Another example of bad society and bystander apathy.

Matt Blake in The Daily Mail said:
Heavily pregnant woman on crutches forced to stand on tram when passengers refused to give up seat
A mother-to-be was stunned when 'barbaric' passengers on a packed tram refused to give up their tram seat - even though she is eight months' pregnant and needs crutches to walk.

Meenakshi Minnis, 31, found all the seats were taken when she boarded the service at Deansgate-Castlefield on her way home to Timperley. Mrs Minnis asked passengers on the tram if they would give up their seat - but no-one moved.

Shockingly, even when a Metrolink member of staff asked if anyone would stand for her, nobody would oblige.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...am-passengers-refused-seat.html#ixzz2CzE8BH4d
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCW

The sort of racism that is prevelent across the north?

I didn't want to be the first who said it but, yeah, Northern England and a Foreign surname. most likely to be racial discrimination more than anything else.

had that been Leicester, the majority of people would give up the seat for her. it is a case of demographics and social attitudes and not everywhere is the same.

wintonian

Established Member
Obviously I don't agree with what is being alleged but I don't see where barbarism enters into it. Perhaps we are just over using emotive words and phrases again in order to get people hot under the collier. :roll:

ushawk

Established Member
I fail to see how this is "racist". Its simply some rude passengers who were disgusting and didnt let a person, who clearly needed a seat, sit down.

Jonny

Established Member
Well, that's what happens when the council coerces people into using public transport by over-regulation of the roads. Manchester City Council was a bad one when I was at Uni and they can't have got any better. Mind you, if there was more capacity... I sometimes wonder if this 'etiquette' malarky is an excuse not to make expansions to infrastructure.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As an afterthought, when etiquette came into being however many years ago, "the pill" was probably hadn't been invented. One way Tony B. Liar's government actually poisoned society was by making the pill free of charge on the NHS, pregnancy becomes seen as preventable, almost self-inflicted.

Jeni

The north east maybe, but Manchester is one of the least racist places that I've lived in!

This seems to be an unfortunate fairly isolated incident that isn't representative of what people are usually like up here. Hell, I even get offered seats and I'm fit and healthy! (no, I don't accept them usually)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Well, that's what happens when the council coerces people into using public transport by over-regulation of the roads. Manchester City Council was a bad one when I was at Uni and they can't have got any better. Mind you, if there was more capacity... I sometimes wonder if this 'etiquette' malarky is an excuse not to make expansions to infrastructure.
As an afterthought, when etiquette came into being however many years ago, "the pill" was probably hadn't been invented. One way Tony B. Liar's government actually poisoned society was by making the pill free of charge on the NHS, pregnancy becomes seen as preventable, almost self-inflicted.

Isn't Manchester seeing some of the largest expansions to public transport infrastructure outside London?

I think the main problem with the roads in Manchester is the large number of people trying to use them.

Pregnancy is preventable with or without the Pill - I'm fairly sure it's been free on the NHS for a long time before Mr Blair. If that was in fact his government I'd put it on the small list of good things they did.

bluenoxid

Established Member
The north isn't racist and sweeping statements are not going to help anyone.

We have no understanding of who she was asking to move and a quick move down the article shows that she does not look pregnant when in her bulky coat and armed with clutches.

Sadly, not everyone is as caring any more but to brand everyone as Barbarians...

Ferret

Established Member
The north isn't racist and sweeping statements are not going to help anyone.

We have no understanding of who she was asking to move and a quick move down the article shows that she does not look pregnant when in her bulky coat and armed with clutches.

Sadly, not everyone is as caring any more but to brand everyone as Barbarians...

Agreed. I'm reminded of an incident on a bus when I was a teenager. An obviously pregnant lady got on, and before anybody had chance to react, she started going off on one about how rude we all were for not giving up our seats. Both myself and the mate I was travelling with would have gladly given up our seats had we even had chance to do so, but her ranting caused us immature teenagers to dig our heels in and stay put. With hindsight, I'd have given up my seat while making a subtle point, but that never occurred to me at the time, being young and naïve. Still, the point is that sometimes people don't go about getting what they want in the right way. And this smacks of one of those scenarios to me.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Pregnancy is preventable with or without the Pill - I'm fairly sure it's been free on the NHS for a long time before Mr Blair. If that was in fact his government I'd put it on the small list of good things they did.

By abstaining from activities that cause it is one idea!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the hope of returning this matter to being "on-thread", being one one the "Light Rail...at al" forum, rather than the General Discussion forum, the newer M5000 trams do seem to have even less seats than the older T68 trams on the Manchester Metrolink system, where this would have been even worse considering the seat availability.

LE Greys

Established Member
Well, firstly, I'll emphasise that I don't know all the circumstances, so can't comment on this particular case. However, I find that you're often damned if you do and damned if you don't. There are certain people who don't like someone giving up a seat for them, and tend to yell at you if you do. However, I believe that some people have more right to sit down than others and an (mostly) able-bodied, young male such as myself would be low on the priority list. Some people don't like that, for various reasons, and some don't think about it or just don't care. That's the sort of world we live in.

MCW

Even worse than this if you refer to the quote that you referred to in your post, which actually said "clutches"...not crutches.

Therefore, we now have....

"A collier with clutches...:shock: The mind boggles at this image...:D

it said clutches at the time i quoted it, i hadn't refreshed my page! Doh :lol:

WestCoast

Established Member
In my experience, outside commuter times at least, the general public tend to be that bit friendlier and more accommodating on the whole in 'the provincial cities'. This case has nothing to do with racism IMO, Manchester itself is very diverse these days anyway.

In London, I find that a lot of people seem to go into a certain self-absorbed mode on public transport, probably because it's such a common activity that many do on their own.

Having said that, as mentioned above, giving up your seat to someone who you think needs it more than you, is not always met with a positive reaction. Occasionally, people are even offended by the notion.

It's not always easy to judge. My friend in 21 and looks young and able-bodied. However, he has a spinal condition which makes standing up on a moving vehicle rather difficult and even painful. People have asked him to give up a seat and became annoyed at a refusal.

The 'Daily Mail' readership do bleat on about common sense and respect, but it's not always that simple and for that matter never has been.

Clip

Established Member

:roll:
Are you prone to making stupid and worthless comments?

Maybe it was because she wasnt showing a little bit of her bra also?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am rather puzzled by this bit:

Daily Mail said:
Mrs Minnis, who needs crutches to help her walk because of a pelvic condition linked to her pregnancy, complained to tram bosses after the journey on November 11.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...am-passengers-refused-seat.html#ixzz2DTzU2Iii
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Really? What is she complaining about? Staff did try and help her so what else does she want?

She has my sympathy however what happened is hardly the tram company's fault, is it?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I am rather puzzled by this bit:

Really? What is she complaining about? Staff did try and help her so what else does she want?

She has my sympathy however what happened is hardly the tram company's fault, is it?

It seems somewhat suspicious that she's claiming staff didn't try to help her, yet Metrolink says CCTV shows they did - I suspect there's a bit more to this story.

pemma

Veteran Member
the newer M5000 trams do seem to have even less seats than the older T68 trams on the Manchester Metrolink system, where this would have been even worse considering the seat availability.

T68s have 82 or 84 seats, M5000s (which are longer) have 52 or 58 seats - not sure why there are 2 different seating layouts on the M5000s. Hopefully a second batch got spec'd to have 6 extra seats.

A single M5000 should certainly not be used on peak time workings between Piccadilly and Altrincham or Piccadilly and MediaCity, yet many are.
Has anyone else noticed the T68 picture in the Daily Mail article says 'G-Mex' on the front even though the article says she boarded at Deansgate-Castlefield (the new name for G-Mex Metrolink stop)?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Has anyone else noticed the T68 picture in the Daily Mail article says 'G-Mex' on the front even though the article says she boarded at Deansgate-Castlefield (the new name for G-Mex Metrolink stop)?

Stock photo?

You're lucky it's a tram in the right city.

MCR247

Established Member

Well the picture must be quite old as the T68 still has white doors?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well the picture must be quite old as the T68 still has white doors?

I think a bigger giveaway is the fact that it shows a non-pedestrianised Market Street before the current island platform was built!

northernrail

I was wondering why this had popped up on Metrolinks Website recently.

Priority seating on Metrolink
(Published:29/11/2012)

Metrolink trams have a number of seats designated as ‘priority seats’.

These are positioned close to the doors and are intended to be easily reached by customers who have a disability, are pregnant or who have other mobility problems.

As we continue to expand the system, our new vehicles will have double priority seats located throughout the carriage clearly marked “Priority seating for disabled, pregnant and less able to stand.”

If you sit in one of these seats and see these signs, please be prepared to offer up this seat to someone who needs it more.

Metrolink staff may also request that you give up this seat, but we cannot insist if you choose not to do so. We ask, however, that you show awareness towards your fellow passengers and that you show them courtesy in giving up your seat if they need it.

Customers who are pregnant may want to ask others to give up their seat since they may not be aware of your need.
To raise awareness of this issue among our passengers, we are happy to support an initiative set up by Alex McLeod, a retailer from Knutsford who owns a maternity boutique, The Pudding Club.

Alex is producing “Baby on Board” badges for pregnant women to wear while travelling on public transport. If you’d like one of her badges, please pop into her shop on Minshull Street in Knutsford or for further details, please visit http://thepuddingclub.co.uk/

We’re also looking to support similar retailers in Greater Manchester who may want to do the same. If you have a similar scheme, please get in touch via [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.