• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another landslip on the SWML (01/12/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TM1

I have heard that the works will now be Wednesday 27th to Friday 29th December instead but haven't seen anything official yet.
This is correct with full Handback of all lines by the 31st

In general weep holes are drilled into the sheet piles, usually with a filter, which allows water to drain from the soil. If too much accumulates at one time it usually just runs off the surface.
Alongside dummy piles which do not fully embed into the ground allowing water to flow into the existing drainage

Ian Hardy

SWR has confirmed the Down Slow & Fast closure 27th - 29th December:

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/plan-my-journey

Landslip repairs between Brookwood and Woking

What's Going On
Network Rail are carrying out repairs following a landslip between Brookwood and Woking, which will affect services that run between Woking and Basingstoke. Find out more here.

What We're Doing About It
Trains are running as normal, however, only three of the four lines in the area are open.

If you are travelling between Woking and Basingstoke, please check before you travel.

Engineers will need to close two of the four lines in the area on Wednesday 27, Thursday 28 and Friday 29 December.
As a result, a severely reduced service will run between Basingstoke and Woking. Details of service changes will be confirmed in the coming days.

Please check back for updates.

We are very sorry for any delay that this may cause to your journey.

Further Information
If you would prefer to use local buses to continue your journey please check Traveline - South Western Railway tickets are not valid on local buses unless stated above.

Have you been delayed? Please see here for our compensation policy.

If you would like to make a comment about your experience with us today, please call us on 0345 6000 650 or see our contact us page for other ways to contact us.

Ian Hardy

The possession of the DN Fast & DN Slow occurred as expected on the 27th, 28th & 29th December, however the DN Slow is still closed at the moment between Woking CE# and Brookwood LE#.

Meerkat

Established Member
They were walloping away at the piles all night on the 27th, the wealthy neighbours round there must have been severely dischuffed!
yesterday it was all piled and capping on.
Do they still have to reprofile and stabilise the embankment?

GrahamA

20231230_160419.jpg
Picture taken at approx 4pm on Saturday 30th.

All the piling does seem to have been finished for now, although a conversation I had with one of the contractors a couple of weeks ago suggested that more piles would be added to the left hand end in the future.

Meerkat's question about reprofiling and backfill is one I have too. I'd be especially worried if I lived in one of the houses at the top of the bank.

Only the down slow line appears to be blocked today.

theironroad

Established Member
All plant vehicles and works removed and Down Slow back open for traffic today, so all lines open.

TM1

They were walloping away at the piles all night on the 27th, the wealthy neighbours round there must have been severely dischuffed!
yesterday it was all piled and capping on.
Do they still have to reprofile and stabilise the embankment?
Yes regrading the cutting will commence in the new year, works are still progressing in the background.

Sultan

I was walking over the St Johns Hill Road bridge yesterday and took these 2 photos of continued work on the embankment. All 4 lines were in possession this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69