• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anxiety as a medical condition

Jamiescott1

I often read the "disputes and prosecutions" thread and lots of people caught without a / incorrect ticket etc. Claim they have anxiety.

Is anxiety as a medical condition really widespread?
I've never really come across it before

(I dont want this thread to turn into a "they should grow some balls" comments thread )

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I often read the "disputes and prosecutions" thread and lots of people caught without a / incorrect ticket etc. Claim they have anxiety.

I've never really come across it before

(I dont want this thread to turn into a "they should grow some balls" comments thread )
I've previously had medical certificates marked with "Depression and Anxiety" when being signed off work, so it's certainly recognised by doctors. It can be very debilitating and, sadly, it's often not taken very seriously by some. The "grow a pair" mentality is all too common, I'm afraid.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I can tell you first hand anxiety can be debilitating. You want rest from it, usually through sleeping. But guess what? You don't experience sleep you just wake up and in an instant it's there.
It clouds everything.

Magdalia

Established Member
You can read about it on the NHS website here:

Anxiety is a feeling of unease, such as worry or fear, that can be mild or severe.

Everyone has feelings of anxiety at some point in their life. For example, you may feel worried and anxious about sitting an exam, or having a medical test or job interview.

During times like these, feeling anxious can be perfectly normal.

But some people find it hard to control their worries. Their feelings of anxiety are more constant and can often affect their daily lives.

In particular the NHS website says:

GAD is a common condition.

More women are affected than men, and the condition is more common in people from the ages of 35 to 55.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Of course, the problem is that that word "anxious" has quite a different everyday meaning than the medical usage of the word. Just because you feel anxious about something doesn't mean you have anxiety. The same with depression - just because you feel depressed about something does not mean you have depression.

This leads to some groups of people (often older and more on the right politically) to totally ignore the very real conditions that some people have because they misunderstand anxiety or depression to mean feeling anxious or depressed, then wonder why those pretty normal emotions cause such disruption to everyday life for those people affected (and often then wrongly assume people with those issues are just trying their luck / mooching around).

Of course the reverse is also true, some people who are feeling just a bit anxious or depressed about something misdiagnose themselves as having the much more serious conditions, but given the hoops you often have to jump through to get any kind of help these days (either medically via the NHS or from society in terms of benefits etc), this isn't as much of a problem as some people like to make out.

Last edited:

Class93

Of course, the problem is that that word "anxious" has quite a different everyday meaning than the medical usage of the word. Just because you feel anxious about something doesn't mean you have anxiety. The same with depression - just because you feel depressed about something does not mean you have depression.

This leads to some groups of people (often older and more on the right politically) to totally ignore the very real conditions that some people have because they misunderstand anxiety or depression to mean feeling anxious or depressed, then wonder why those pretty normal emotions cause such disruption to everyday life for those people affected (and often then wrongly assume people with those issues are just trying their luck / mooching around).

Of course the reverse is also true, some people who are feeling just a bit anxious or depressed about something misdiagnose themselves as having the much more serious conditions, but given the hoops you often have to jump through to get any kind of help these days (either medically via the NHS or from society in terms of benefits etc), this isn't as much of a problem as some people like to make out.
I would generally tend to agree but there also needs to be a line drawn between debilitating symptoms and someone just pinning an excuse on that, as it’s then makes a mockery of a genuine condition that inhibits a lot of people.

bleeder4

That is my interpretation of the word. Anxiety means you are anxious about something. eg I get anxiety before an important client meeting, job interview or zoom call etc. Up until today, I didn't even know there was an alternative meaning of the word. If that's the case then the medical profession probably ought to create a new word to describe the medical condition they are referring to, otherwise it's just confusing.

OhNoAPacer

That is my interpretation of the word. Anxiety means you are anxious about something. eg I get anxiety before an important client meeting, job interview or zoom call etc. Up until today, I didn't even know there was an alternative meaning of the word. If that's the case then the medical profession probably ought to create a new word to describe the medical condition they are referring to, otherwise it's just confusing.
There are many cases where the everyday use of a word is not like the usage of that word in its correct sense. Anxiety is the correct medical term, I would be interested in what you propose the entire medical profession should use instead.

Broucek

My experience (amateur) of people with medical anxiety is that they tend to be over-conscientious, if anything. I struggle to imagine the non-scientific sample of people I know with the condition failing to buy a ticket (although the wrong sort of ticket might be a possibility).

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
From the psychiatrist's Manual of Diagnostic & Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders:

Link here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519704/table/ch3.t15/#:~:text=DSM-IV-,DSM-5,as work or school performance).

DSM-IVDSM-5
Disorder Class: Anxiety DisordersSAME
A. Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least 6 months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).SAME
B. The person finds it difficult to control the worry.SAME
C. The anxiety and worry are associated with three or more of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms present for more days than not for the past 6 months).
  1. Restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
  2. Being easily fatigued
  3. Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
  4. Irritability
  5. Muscle tension
  6. Sleep disturbance (difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep)
SAME
D. The focus of the anxiety and worry is not confined to features of an Axis I disorder (e.g., the anxiety or worry is not about having a panic attack [as in panic disorder], being embarrassed in public [as in social phobia], being contaminated [as in obsessive-compulsive disorder] being away from home or close relatives [as in separation anxiety disorder], gaining weight [as in anorexia Nervosa], or having a serious illness [as in hypochondriasis]), and the anxiety and worry do not occur exclusively during posttraumatic stress disorder.F. The disturbance is not better explained by another mental disorder (e.g., anxiety or worry about having panic attacks in panic disorder, negative evaluation in social anxiety disorder [social phobia], contamination or other obsessions in obsessive-compulsive disorder, separation from attachment figures in separation anxiety disorder, reminders of traumatic events in posttraumatic stress disorder, gaining weight in anorexia nervosa, physical complaints in somatic symptom disorder, perceived appearance flaws in body dysmorphic disorder, having a serious illness in illness anxiety disorder, or the content of delusional beliefs in schizophrenia or delusional disorder).
E. The anxiety, worry, or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.SAME (part D)
F. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism) and does not occur exclusively during a mood disorder, a psychotic disorder, or a pervasive developmental disorder.E. The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or another medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).

In my line of work, I see people from all walks of life with anxiety ranging from mild to suicidal some of which I'm able to help/treat whilst others have to be referred to their local mental health service for psychiatric management/medication

TheTallOne

I think given what's happened over the past few years, there's probably quite a few more people with anxiety than there was pre 2020.

Unfortunately there will always be people claiming x y or z when it's not true.

Not sure if that helps or hinders those who really do. I guess hinders if people assume everyone is lying, or helps if it increases knowledge of certain conditions (not just anxiety, thinking autism, ADHD and others).

I've heard a few stories of how autistic people have been treated on the railway, which worries me.

The chances of having the wrong ticket may be lower for a lot of autistic people (attention to detail etc), although everyone is different, and it only takes one bad day for everything to come crashing down and you do something wrong, forget to do something etc.

Miker15

It's not always apparent because many people with anxiety may not visibly show their symptoms to others, or they may be good at managing their feelings in public. That doesn't mean it's any less real or challenging for them.
Anxiety disorders come in various forms. Each type can severely impact a person's day-to-day life. Mental health conditions often go unseen, especially if we don't know what signs to look for or if the individuals are keeping it to themselves.
For a better understanding, here's a helpful article that breaks down the different types of anxiety disorders. It gives an overview of each type, their symptoms, and how they can affect a person's life.

Last edited: