• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any bird experts here, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Although I am interested in birds, I would not class myself as a birdwatcher or twitcher, so I wonder if anyone here can identify a bird I saw recently near home in St. Helens. It was about the same length as a blackbird, but maybe a bit plumper. Apart from the markings on the head, it was mostly shades of grey, and I cannot find a near match in a book of UK/European birds. It did not seem to be timid, and sat in a bush long enough for me to get a couple of photos.
Any suggestions, please ?mx2020_09_17_p_Bird_Eccleston_29.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I'm wondering if it isn't a juvenile blackbird just with less developed plumage around the head Bevan?

Non Multi

It's likely to be a partial albino blackbird. They're rare, as they are more visible to predators. There's at least one newspaper article online with a similar bird photographed.

PeterC

Established Member
We used to regularly see a male blackbird with white feathers along its wings in our garden.
I have seen several over the years from one with a single white feather to one that looked like a giant snow bunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.