• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any current railcard promotions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarmicle

I need to renew my railcard -- is anyone aware of any current promotions? £30 isn't a lot of money, but with the cost-of-living crisis, felt it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DEFarnes

Do you belong to an employer discount scheme? I got some discount via cashback using the Westfield rewards scheme.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Other than the indefinite offers of 'using £10 of Clubcard vouchers' and '£10 railcard if you know a Gold Card season ticket holder', I don't think there are any discount codes knocking around at the moment.

gray1404

Established Member
Top Cash Back and Quidco will offer some cashback. If you sign up via their refer a friend scheme you can get a cash boost. DM me for a link.

J.C.

Trainpal has £20 off some 3 year digital railcards at the moment, making them £70.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Sorry to "Butt in" - it's in my nature :E

When you renew a physical railcard online before the old one has expired why do you have to submit a new photograph ?

Have they not got it/them "on file" ?

DelayRepay

Established Member
What type of Railcard is it? The only Railcard I qualify for is a Network Railcard, which is usually excluded from the Tesco etc promotions.

I am watching with interest as mine just expired.

SWT_USER

What type of Railcard is it? The only Railcard I qualify for is a Network Railcard, which is usually excluded from the Tesco etc promotions.

I am watching with interest as mine just expired.
I am in the same situation as you. It's frustrating that it always seems to be excluded from promotions.

Alex365Dash

Trainpal has £20 off some 3 year digital railcards at the moment, making them £70.
The Railcard site has the same indefinite promotion for some of the railcards on their site, with the option to buy them on plastic rather than digital if that’s your kind of thing.

ScotTrains

If you're able to wait off until black Friday there might be more offers available.

Last year trainline offered 50% off railcards, though it was pulled early due to high demand. The offer could be combined with vouchercodes £10 Amazon voucher on your first railcard purchase. I managed to get a twotogether railcard for £5 ( £2.50 per person).
No guarantee it'll run this year.

Master Cutler

The £70 offer for a three year Senior RailCard makes it a good deal, but the fact that a card commences from date purchased means making sure the expiry date of existing cards is clearly marked on my calendar to avoid losing remaining benefit.

Capvermell

On Moderation
UPDATE!!
Trainline now have all 1-year railcards on sale for £20 - offer expires 31/10/2022...

But I think you will find that the Terms and Conditions will say that this is only available to new Trainline customers so you may have to set up another account with them with a different email address to benefit from this promotion and I expect it may well be argued you should not actually do that because you are not in fact a new Trainline customer.

It would certainly be interesting to know what is the real actual wholesale cost of these digital railcard discounts to TheTrainline and hence how much of their profit they are giving up and/or what loss they are making per railcard sold in order to lure in what they clearly hope will be real new long term users of the Trainline website..........

www.thetrainline.com/trains/great-britain/railcards confirms that this offer is only intended for new customers of TheTrainline.

But I think you will find that the Terms and Conditions will say that this is only available to new Trainline customers so you may have to set up another account with them with a different email address to benefit from this promotion and I expect it may well be argued you should not actually do that because you are not in fact a new Trainline customer.

It would certainly be interesting to know what is the real actual wholesale cost of these digital railcard discounts to TheTrainline and hence how much of their profit they are giving up and/or what loss they are making per railcard sold in order to lure in what they clearly hope will be real new long term users of the Trainline website..........

www.thetrainline.com/trains/great-britain/railcards confirms that this offer is only intended for new customers of TheTrainline.
True, however, I got a discount code as a trainline customer to buy a Railcard with a discount.

I'm an existing customer who has already purchased railcards with them, but if you are on their mailing list, it is likely you'll receive an offer code.

Yes, profit etc. is an interesting topic for them...

island

Veteran Member
Sorry to "Butt in" - it's in my nature :E

When you renew a physical railcard online before the old one has expired why do you have to submit a new photograph ?

Have they not got it/them "on file" ?
I wager the GDPR police have made them delete it shortly after the Railcard is issued.

Yes, I assume the aim is to get people to put future bookings through Trainline and pay unnecessary booking fees. You have to open the digital Railcards through their app.

skyhigh

Established Member
I wager the GDPR police have made them delete it shortly after the Railcard is issued.
Genuine question - if you lose a railcard with photo, do they require you to provide a new photo before they reissue the railcard?

If not, they must still hold the photo, so why can't they use it for the purpose of renewals?

island

Veteran Member
I’ve never lost an online Railcard (only a station one) so I can’t say. Perhaps someone will be along who can help.

Butts

Veteran Member
Genuine question - if you lose a railcard with photo, do they require you to provide a new photo before they reissue the railcard?

If not, they must still hold the photo, so why can't they use it for the purpose of renewals?

You have to provide a photo for a Senior Railcard even though it does not appear on the physical cards - not sure about digital versions.

Figure that one out ?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, I assume the aim is to get people to put future bookings through Trainline and pay unnecessary booking fees. You have to open the digital Railcards through their app.
Who’d have thought anyone would try that?

Status
Not open for further replies.