• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Any Old Fiddle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SN1 19-5

Mine is "Luncheon Voucher"

We was poor when I was a lad. Like proper poor. No colour tv. Sometimes we didn;t even have a telly.

Just imagine going to school without being able to watch last nights telly. All the kids was talking about last night's tv.

I couldn't see any of it. No matter. My mind wandered elsewhere.. I did cotton on to a loop hole.

We was so poor. Hmm. Nother loophole. Me dad had a posh job sometimes, he got lunch tickets for his job. sometimes, he didn't have a job (due to being in prison?) dunno. Never checked/cared.

Sometimes, he gave me 15p vouchers so that I was able to survive. It worked! I'm still yere!

I found a way to make vouchers make cash! Was this wrong?

If you doubt me, I usually "cashed" the vouchers in a a main railway station.

Think, 13 year old spotty spotter cashing in a 15p voucher for a packet of Polo's/cuppo tea///

Get 13p change! Happy days!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I remember seeing the Luncheon Voucher stickers at various shops in the 80's. I'm interested in what they were for, and when they petered out.

With regard to the OP, "cashing in" a voucher for a cup of tea, doesn't seem against the purpose of such a scheme.

brstd4260

Luncheon vouchers as far as I recall were a way of "paying" your staff more without them paying tax. LV's up to 25p per day were tax free to the employee so many employers added them (or included them), into the wages of their staff as a "perk", and at the time I had them (in the late 70's - working in school holidays), 25p would buy a round of sandwiches and a drink quite nicely. You have to remember many large organisations has subsidised (or even in a few cases free), canteens and it wasa way to compete with these. Later on the government started taxing the whole area and it no longer became worthwhile give them to staff. Strictly of course as they were tax free there were not redeemable for cash

Andy

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I remember seeing the Luncheon Voucher stickers at various shops in the 80's. I'm interested in what they were for, and when they petered out.
I got given some in 2010 when I started work for a new company, we got £25 worth for our Induction week and they seemed to be valid pretty much everywhere. I guess this was easier than everyone buying lunch and submitting an expenses claim.

Looking on their website now, they still seem to exist and can even be used in shops like Tesco's and Asda's.

lincolnshire

Mine is "Luncheon Voucher"

We was poor when I was a lad. Like proper poor. No colour tv. Sometimes we didn;t even have a telly.

Just imagine going to school without being able to watch last nights telly. All the kids was talking about last night's tv.

I couldn't see any of it. No matter. My mind wandered elsewhere.. I did cotton on to a loop hole.

We was so poor. Hmm. Nother loophole. Me dad had a posh job sometimes, he got lunch tickets for his job. sometimes, he didn't have a job (due to being in prison?) dunno. Never checked/cared.

Sometimes, he gave me 15p vouchers so that I was able to survive. It worked! I'm still yer
I found a way to make vouchers make cash! Was this wrong?

If you doubt me, I usually "cashed" the vouchers in a a main railway station.

Think, 13 year old spotty spotter cashing in a 15p voucher for a packet of Polo's/cuppo tea///

Get 13p change! Happy days!

If you think yours was wrong at using them, what about Cynthia Payne who used them as admission to her Sex Party in 1978. She was the women who ran a brothel in Streatham in London.
Look her up on wickipedia where it tells you the storey about her, I knew there was someone who was associate with them and used them for another purpose.

SN1 19-5

Not me! I was about 16 at the time. I do remember seeing something in the Sunday papers. It just flew over and beyond my head!

Using them to generate cash was good enough for me then!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I got given some in 2010 when I started work for a new company, we got £25 worth for our Induction week and they seemed to be valid pretty much everywhere. I guess this was easier than everyone buying lunch and submitting an expenses claim.

Looking on their website now, they still seem to exist and can even be used in shops like Tesco's and Asda's.

Sounds quite a sensible system.

I can't remember the last time I saw one of the round window stickers on an eaterie though.

341o2

Established Member
If you think yours was wrong at using them, what about Cynthia Payne who used them as admission to her Sex Party in 1978. She was the women who ran a brothel in Streatham in London.
Look her up on wickipedia where it tells you the storey about her, I knew there was someone who was associate with them and used them for another purpose.
You got there first! When I saw "luncheon vouchers", well I remember the scandal breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.