• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone know of anywhere that can repaint models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
Hornby are releasing a D49 this year, no 222 "The Berkley". I would like to renumber (and rename) this model to become no. 246 "Morayshire". Unfortunately, I lack the skills and know-how to do this myself.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can turn to?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
One company I have come across (most recently at the Chiltern MRA show this month at St Albans) is Model Loco Resprays. No phone, no website, contact address:
88 Argyll Road,
Hemel Hempstead
HP2 6NF

Bittern

Established Member
I can understand no website (almost), but no phone number? Suppose the only way to contact them is with a pen, paper, envelope and first class stamp.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There is Interespray in Luton (they used to have an advert in a few railway mags), and TMC would do it for you (check adverts in model rail or similar model mag)

John Webb

Established Member
I can understand no website (almost), but no phone number? Suppose the only way to contact them is with a pen, paper, envelope and first class stamp.

So it seems - the information in my previous post is taken from the Guide to the CMRA Show.

Could use a 2nd Class stamp?

rail-britain

Established Member
I doubt a complete repaint will be necessary

Renumbering is usually straightforward, with patience
The trick is to practice on an old model
Numbers can usually be removed by using the edge of a craft knife
Larger areas by careful use of chemicals

The main issue occurs where the model originally has a large nameplate and the one you plan to replace it with is smaller
The trick there is to look for models where the nameplate will be the same size or larger, it can then simply be placed over the original

Bittern

Established Member
Yeah, there's no way I'd do this myself. I don't have the confidence, the tools or the know-how.

rail-britain

Established Member
It would appear they charge £40 for renumbering
That is incredibly high given all you require are the numbers removed, paint infill, and new transfers

A complete repaint will typically cost between £50 and £75

Perhaps I should start advertising renumbering services...
However, I still have a Graham Farish model awaiting BR Logos from Shawplan since 2007

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Yes, I think they are a bit pricey too, but is an option for the Op to consider if nothing else. For completeness, Interespray can be contacted by phone on 01582 523506, or by email at [email protected] .

deltic1989

Established Member
i did come across a simple way to re-number a model in an issue of Model Rail i'll look it out and see if I can scan it in and e-mail it to you if this would help. I doubted my skills in this department untill i gave it a bash it took a couple of trys on a scrap loco body to get it right, but the key is practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.