• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone know what vehicle type this roof is from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich-L

Hello all
I've just joined the forum for a specific reason and that's to see if anyone can put me out of my misery and help identify what this roof section is from?

Here's another showing the context... which is rather mad!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

it used to be mounted on the roof of an old canal barge before I owned it, in fact it looks like there were two roof sections cobbled together...

If anyone has any ideas, or can even conrm that the roof is from a train I would be most grateful :D

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

themiller

Try googling Ferkeltaxi and see if any of the images are familiar. It would be useful if the width were known to compare with the various loading gauges of railcars. Don't forget that it could have been narrow gauge if it were indeed from the railways.

Rich-L

I just had a look through the image results for Ferkeltaxi but none of them look right to my untrained eye. I can give you a fair approximation of the width because the barge is 7' across the beam and the gunwales look very narrow so I'd guestimate the superstructure width at between 6 feet 4" and 7 feet

Hope that helps?

Someone on another forum suggested it might even be a tram roof?

Last edited:

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Someone on another forum suggested it might even be a tram roof?

Almost certainly not a tram - I can't think of any designs with a similar roof profile, plus the majority of UK trams were double-ended so would have been the same at both ends.

My money is on the top deck of a bus - quite possibly an RT with roof box, although I'm not clued up enough for sure.

Rich-L

Bingo!

That looks exactly right, thanks for the help which is much appreciated.

The irony is I first posted the photo on a bus forum and thats where the train/tram suggestions came from :roll:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
No, it's definitely NOT an RT, which had just two front windows, also the rear seems too upright, but difficult to absolutely tell from this angle. Have a feeling it could be an ST, so pre-war. Don't have immediate access to a photo of an ST but number 922 (from memory) still exists and I've travelled on it. If no-one else comes up with anything convincing later, I'll do further research and report back.

CatfordCat

Another vote for upper deck of roofbox RT bodies - any body builder other than Cravens.

The profile, roof box, and presence of half-drop windows on the second and fourth window, all match.

The front windows look like they have been altered later to accommodate the door under the roof-box. While some buses had three windows at the front of the top deck, the last type I can think of to have this in England were the Tillings STLs, - Some post-war CIE Leyland Titans had similar, but they also had more and much narrower side windows. Neither type had roof-boxes, and in both cases, the profile is nothing like this.

The lack of a rear curve is misleading - again, modifications must have been made to make the two bus bodies in to one boat body. While the rear doesn't have any curve to show, what would have been the rearmost upper deck side window is right for an RT.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Just had a look at a pic of ST922 and, though the front window arrangement is similar, the rest isn't. Difficult to tell from the small pic, but the roofbox doesn't seem quite in the right place. It could just have been removed and refitted when the front windows were altered, if it is an RT. Couldn't have been a Cravens, agreed, because of the number of bays and they also had a very elegant sweep at the back. Wonder if it was one of the so-called 'pre-war' RTs?

Ploughman

Established Member
Do you have any clue as to what region of the country the roof originated from?
Or where did you acquire it from?
Reason being that numerous bus operators around the country used to have open toppers such as Southport, Portsmouth and Devon General for a start.

Definately looks Bus and not a tram as the rear end would usually match the front if a tram.

daikilo

Established Member
Hello all
I've just joined the forum for a specific reason and that's to see if anyone can put me out of my misery and help identify what this roof section is from?

Here's another showing the context... which is rather mad!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

it used to be mounted on the roof of an old canal barge before I owned it, in fact it looks like there were two roof sections cobbled together...

If anyone has any ideas, or can even conrm that the roof is from a train I would be most grateful :D

I am pretty sure I have seen that photo before and that it was an RT body (in fact 2) and that the front had been modified to have a central door giving access to the foredeck of the boat. If I recall correctly, to walk from bow to stern could only be achieved inside, or on the roof. That said, a google search has not yet yielded proof.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
All RT/RTL bodies were 7' 6'' wide, so what exact width do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.