• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Applying for more than one trainee driver job #2 - firstgroup vs GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDCC6

Hi all, don’t think there is an existing thread for this. I am in a talent pool with GWR as of early Sept 2021, that whole process took 2 years (for those looking for hope)! My question is can I apply for another trainee driver job and (if successful) be in 2 talent pools simultaneously? For context the other role is with firstgroup, so I’m not sure if this is the ‘same’ TOC as GWR given first own them.. I think im right in saying you can’t be in 2 talent pools for different depots in the same TOC.. thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
The other First Group rail operators are South Western, Trans Pennine, Avanti West Coast, Hull Trains & the new LUMO.

As for your question I have no idea what the rules are for being in more than one talent pool for companies owned by the same group.

T-Karmel

There's nothing stopping you from being in two talent pools, or even without the pool getting the job directly with another FirstGroup TOC. It could only affect you with the same TOC, then it's up to them if they want you to be in two pools, or you'd have to leave one pool to enter another.

If it makes it any easier for you, SWR has a separate recruitment to other FirstGroup companies, even though you apply on the same website. Avanti although has a separate website, is under FirstGroup recruitment. However I'm not certain on the last one.

Established Member
From what I’ve read on here, each attempt at the selection tests replaces your last set of scores, even if you have passed selection previously. Therefore, say you’re in a pool for TOC A. If you were to have a bad day at TOC B’s testing centre and either not pass to your previous standard, or worse fail, would this impact on your existing offer from TOC A?

I don’t know the answer to this (hopefully someone on here does) but it’s something I’d wonder about in your position. I’d consider speaking to HR at the TOC you’re applying to and seeing what they advise.

LCC106

Established Member
I wonder if the 2nd TOC tests to the same level and therefore may just accept the passes already gained? So just the DMI to pass?

TheGoldfish

If you have passes already at the acceptable level for the 2nd toc you won’t be asked to retake them ..however if the 2nd toc demanded a higher pass level and you retook and somehow failed completely on the 2nd attempt .. then your new score would overwrite your existing one and both applications would be killed off. .. the opc would warn you of this before making your 2nd attempt and give you the option to pull out of the process and preserve your original score.

G30RG3

I'm no expert here however I can talk from (some) application experience... I have always applied to the same depot under the same TOC; as for multiple applications amongst different TOCs I can only imagine your aptitude test scores would come into consideration. As I'm sure you can gather test scores are held with the RSSB and cannot be overwritten by the TOC.

The TOC I applied with put me into two talent pools. They informed that if I was offered either position (and took that offer) I would be bound by the T&Cs of the given trainee role upon acceptance. At this point I would be removed from the opposing talent pool and have no option to reapply until the tenure on the selected role had finished. In this case I think it is a two year tenure and subject to future positions becoming available.

Best of luck with your application/s.

TheVicLine

Yes you can apply for GWR and TPE at the same time and be placed in two talent pools. The passes required for TPE are higher than GWR I think, not 100% certain of this but pretty sure, so I you would need to go through the whole application process again and do the various tests.

cwjohnstone

I had similar... took my tests, MMI and DMI with TOC A and heard nothing. Applied for TOC B and told they wanted the enhanced score. They honoured the results of all the tests I did with TOC A and all I had to do was go in and sit 1 more test that took about 15 minutes. All was good and I've been with TOC B for 5 years now

Status
Not open for further replies.