• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Approaching a level crossing/incorporating it into your route hoping there are trains coming? (Mutual confession?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egg Centric

There's a level crossing thread at the moment and it just reminded me - generally speaking I have two approach strategies to level crossings.

If I am time pressed I will do everything safe/legal to get through the level crossing, perhaps being a bit naughty about acceleration etc.

The vast majority of the time though I'm not time pressed and I'm actually rather hoping with a mentality not much different from when I was 5 or so, that the crossing will activate so I can see a train. So if I can do it considerately to other road users then I will approach slower than I really need to in the usually vain hope that a glorious yellow light will appear and I have an excuse to stop.

Sometimes I will even take a slightly longer route for this opportunity. I don't drive anywhere near there at present, but a decade or so ago I had a reason (at a stretch) to drive through Queen Adelaide near Ely where there are three level crossings in very short succession and I did that far more than most drivers would have.

Or for a more up to date example when I am in Watford I have two main routes I can take to Cambridge and I usually take the one that lets me use the crossing at Foxton, even though it's a much less enjoyable road to drive objectively.

Anyone else want to confess to this or something like it? Perhaps we can form a support group.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fenchurch SP

I've heard it said that the indicator of whether or not you are a railway enthusiast is if you hope the crossing lights will change to red before you reach them.

AndrewE

Established Member
Don't go via Holme LC south of Peterborough unless you have lots of time to spare... My son was stuck there for about 25 minutes once!

ac6000cw

Established Member
...and sometimes you're stopped at a crossing, look out of the driver's window and have to agree that "TRAINS ARE WAY COOL" 8-):

Trains Are Way Cool 2.jpg

(The location is Amboy in Southern California, looking west, where old 'Route 66' crosses the BNSF mainline).

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
As you approach the crossing you pull over, your partner asks why we've stopped. You say got a spot of cramp, just going to stand up for a minute. Naturally you are really checking RTT.

Anyone so that, its probably what i would do.

Lockwood

When I used to work out of Chertsey, I made a mental note of the train times past the hour at Addlestone. If we had to go to Weybridge or similar I would use that information to decide whether to take the shorter route over the crossing or the longer route via the bridge.

It wasn't foolproof, but as a rough guide it seemed to work.

Usually I just drive and treat them like any other traffic light - if it stays clear, it's stayed clear. If it changes, it changes.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Must confess that I've done this too... I've even altered my route to include level crossings (for example deliberately not using the Dodworth bypass near Barnsley).

Back when my family lived in Taunton, my uncle and aunt were staying in their caravan near Wellington and I was charged with going and collecting them for tea at my parents' place. At first, my aunt wondered why I was taking them along the narrow country lanes until we reached Bradford crossing... my uncle, also a train nerd, had twigged straight away but kept schtum. Lo and behold, as I dawdled up to the crossing the lights came on so I had to stop. This was in the days before RTT and smartphones, so I had no idea that the train we'd stopped for was a steam-hauled special until we heard the whistle!

Last edited:

ld0595

Glad it's not just me who does this :D when I used to drive between Perth and Dundee for work, I'd occasionally take the neck road which runs along the Edinburgh - Aberdeen line and has a few crossings

Status
Not open for further replies.