• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Talent Pools worth the paper they're written on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLee

Out of curiosity how many in these talent pools actually end up with a driver role?

From reading through these forums there seems to be so many going stagnant in these pools and then eventually when said company commences recruitment they seem to make it clear all talent pools have been wiped.

I’m hoping to hear that my impression of them is wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shunted

I thought the whole idea of talent pools was that the people in them had passed all assessments and interviews and are what the companies are looking for in a trainee driver.
To not use these would surely mean more expense and hassle of recruiting new people to just go through the same process?

baz962

Established Member
I wasn't in one as a trainee , but I was for about ten days as a qualified driver.
If you pass everything and are waiting for a trainee position , the advice would be to apply elsewhere too. Some trainee's are in the pool and never get a chance and others are in for days.

Crazyb

Talent pool only last for a set time, not sure how long for........ A GA driver said 2 years, that's why they are advertising widespread again over the East Routes.

I'm not sure how trainees get picked out of the talent pool, something I'm curious to know and see if I can find out if I bump into our HR.

richfoz84

I was probably one of the lucky ones and only sat in the pool a month before being pencilled in for a start date after 1st lockdown

Eddie77

Been in one now for 3 years, I’ve passed everything just waiting on a medical. Spoke with the company who’ve been great in fairness and advised there are no positions (still) as yet. Just a waiting game now

Luckyflames

Been in one now for 3 years, I’ve passed everything just waiting on a medical. Spoke with the company who’ve been great in fairness and advised there are no positions (still) as yet. Just a waiting game now
3 years…wow !!! For which Toc. Is that please ?

wobman

On Moderation
Talent pools are convenient for tocs but it seems to be quite a Unreliable method for the applicants sometimes dependent on the Toc, I've heard trainees get straight into a role and others wait years.
I also think it's depot dependent, as small depots have less staff turnover than bigger depots.

I would keep in contact with the HR dept, to keep your name high up the list if it was me.

D Rivers

I’ve been in one nearly 2 years. Speak to the regularly same conversation every time.
“Nothing yet, I’m hoping to hear in the next few weeks!”

si_145653

I think the issue is those outside of the railway industry aren’t really well informed of what the actual situation with a talent pool is.

I have just applied to go into one with a TOC and have discovered via this forum there is still a crowd of people in the pool from the last recruitment drive in August 2021.

A bit of clarify from the TOC would be handy/beneficial when advertising.

Out of curiosity how many in these talent pools actually end up with a driver role?

From reading through these forums there seems to be so many going stagnant in these pools and then eventually when said company commences recruitment they seem to make it clear all talent pools have been wiped.

There are 8 people on my course and at least 4 of us were in the talent pool - I applied for it at the end of 2018 and was placed in it after my DMI in Dec 2020, and got offered the job in July 2021.

So the answer is that people do get jobs after being in a talent pool, but the wait can be a long one!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Talent Pools are a VERY good idea in principle - run one big recruitment campaign, hire a number of trainees, and then as ad-hoc vacancies come up, fill as required without having to restart the recruitment process again.

Unfortunately in practice, they are often not well administered due to a lack of recruitment staff, or the changing nature of the business or a sheer lack of places. And people don't know at what stage they are at within one. Plus the timeframe is often an unknown (to the recruitment team as well) so there's not available information. Also there might be a significantly higher number of people in a pool that any number of realistic vacancies that might come up in 2 years. After some of this confusion, it might be felt that a fresh recruitment campaign will be easier. So the adverts and the process starts again and the recruitment team then has all the people in the Talent Pool asking questions and then you get duplicates. Some talent pools do work fine though and people gradually follow through, but it has its issues.

CreamNCookies

Can only speak for myself, but I've been in talent pools in the past and my place has expired. It was disheartening having to reinterview and subsequently failing the second interview attempt for conductor

But on the flip side, I've recently been pulled out of a talent pool and currently on a trainee driver course.

Personally I prefer the talent pools where they expire rather than leaving you on tenterhooks for years. But I'm saying this with bias.

NorthernTech

I asked the question in a recent interview regarding if the scoring of the interview placed you higher or lower in the talent pool or whether it was a ‘first come - first served‘ kinda basis, the interviewer squirmed a tad and just replied that the interview was scored on the questions asked.. So I concluded that the talent pool placing is based on your score, and not when you entered the pool, for that company at least.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I asked the question in a recent interview regarding if the scoring of the interview placed you higher or lower in the talent pool or whether it was a ‘first come - first served‘ kinda basis, the interviewer squirmed a tad and just replied that the interview was scored on the questions asked.. So I concluded that the talent pool placing is based on your score, and not when you entered the pool, for that company at least.

The interviewer may not even know, to be fair to them.

Driver_wife

I asked GTR directly and they said it’s based on a formula between when you passed and how far you are from the depot- but not on scores.. So you can jump higher up the list if you’re right next to your depot.. I’m sure lots of tocs are different though..

ItchyRsole

Lots of mixed opinions and views. Little bit disheartening tbh.

You'd think a recruitment drive would be built around needs and numbers required at depots in the future.

Appears its basically do the hard work and god knows what next.

CreamNCookies

You'd think a recruitment drive would be built around needs and numbers required at depots in the future.
That's exactly what talent pools are for. Wether it be filling in for retirement or natural wasteage in the job.

When positions are available they have a pool of people they can pick from.

dth

From my own experience I was I a talent pool for GTR (GN) for almost 2 years. You do become disheartened as time passes but you're still.in a better position than many.

Terry844

Just from observation on these forums over the past 2 and a bit years it looks like some companies hold a recruitment drive at roughly the same time each year. So for me it looks like they recruit for what they think they will need for the coming year, some vacancies will need to be filled as soon as recruitment is over and others later in the year. And we all know things change, timetable changes or works contracts changes so they don’t need as many drivers, there could be internal transfers from depot to depot so the potential position at the depot you applied for gets filled that way. You have made it into the pool so stay hopeful. If you see the company recruiting again look to see if it’s for the depot you applied for if it’s not then there might still not be an upcoming vacancy there, if it is it could be worth dropping a line to them to let them know your still swimming in the pool.

ItchyRsole

What happens with your OPC timings if someone is in the talent pool for a long time?

Like do they still expire after a number of years if no course / job offer? Or once you're in the talent pool that's redundant?

I’ve been in a talent pool for 13 months and I’ve recently been given a conditional offer.

Driver068

I thought the whole idea of talent pools was that the people in them had passed all assessments and interviews and are what the companies are looking for in a trainee driver.
To not use these would surely mean more expense and hassle of recruiting new people to just go through the same process?
My thoughts exactly. I was under the impression its the case of waiting for availability - however i have heard over period of times these suppose Talent Pools have been added too by other potential candidates for role in question, this impacting those already waiting depending on overall scores - Not sure if this is correct or not - Railway rumours.

I know of someone who is Qualified and been in a Talent Pool for 7 months and is still waiting - I have also noticed, mainly First groups adverts state Talent Pool for alot of their depots but i gather being in a Pool is not a gurantee of employment.

I have noticed GC are advertising for Qualified Drivers for Bradford where they have already recruited Trainees and Qualified Drivers for that depot last year - again interesting to see where those already in a Pool or waiting stand.

Do all Talent Pools expire or is that depending on the TOC/FOC in question.

Barney07

I was a Guard at GC for nearly 13 years and wanted to relocate to the Southwest, i applied for the GWR Exeter Talent Pool in October 2018 passed all assessements and interviews and was placed in the Talent Pool for 6 weeks and then got the call for a position and start date for Jan 2020 (passed medical). I do think they are worth and i was told to be prepared to wait a while in the pool before any offer, I was lucky enough not to wait long before HR contacted me.

G30RG3

Mixed reviews here... I guess it depends on your local depots needs, budgets, preferences, etc...

From experience I entered a 2019 pool for GWR Train Manager, only 6 of us apparently - I was initially told a 3-9 month wait. Never heard back. OPC Guards assessment expires in June 2022. Vacancy portal taken off my first group profile, so little hope here...

2020 Talent pool entered for GWR Mainline Driver - still not heard & been informed that future mainline recruitment will be scarce.

2021 Talent pool entered for Depot Driver, initially told late 2021/ early 2022 start dates likely... Contacted HR in December to be informed that everything for 2022 has been filled by internal applicants & no projection for future openings.

Yes, I would apply elsewhere if I had a choice, however my only other TOC is x country who also favour internal recruitment - Of late, I haven't seen options for externals to apply...

I relocated based on my first offer, therefore moving again in the hope of a prospective TOC putting me through the process and accepting me is a huge gamble I am not willing to take.

Hoping I might hear in the next couple of years (expire 2024) however there are no guarantees!

si_145653

Mixed reviews here... I guess it depends on your local depots needs, budgets, preferences, etc...

From experience I entered a 2019 pool for GWR Train Manager, only 6 of us apparently - I was initially told a 3-9 month wait. Never heard back. OPC Guards assessment expires in June 2022. Vacancy portal taken off my first group profile, so little hope here...

2020 Talent pool entered for GWR Mainline Driver - still not heard & been informed that future mainline recruitment will be scarce.

2021 Talent pool entered for Depot Driver, initially told late 2021/ early 2022 start dates likely... Contacted HR in December to be informed that everything for 2022 has been filled by internal applicants & no projection for future openings.

Yes, I would apply elsewhere if I had a choice, however my only other TOC is x country who also favour internal recruitment - Of late, I haven't seen options for externals to apply...

I relocated based on my first offer, therefore moving again in the hope of a prospective TOC putting me through the process and accepting me is a huge gamble I am not willing to take.

Hoping I might hear in the next couple of years (expire 2024) however there are no guarantees!

I find this really interesting to read and it kind of makes me think I am chasing something that may never happen wanting to get into Railways.

I have pending applications that are quieter longer than I expected and have lost to internals in interviews.

I assume you may be based around the same area as me. I’m Plymouth.

Hopefully better luck around the corner for you.

the sniper

Established Member
I have heard of some pretty awful experiences with GWR recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.