• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Are Talent Pools worth the paper they're written on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Lots of mixed opinions and views. Little bit disheartening tbh.

You'd think a recruitment drive would be built around needs and numbers required at depots in the future.

Appears its basically do the hard work and god knows what next.

It essentially is and there some more on standby so that when ad-hoc vacancies do arise, there's more to select from. Sometimes though the numbers put into a pool may be significantly more than the vacancies that ever become available and may be impacted by changing demands of the TOC which may not have been known months or even years previously. Communication could perhaps be better, but there aren't stackloads of staff in recruitment teams for most TOCs - normally in single figures.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

michael74

I Applied for the GWR conductor pool Aug 21, interviewed Dec 21, told successful same day and steeled myself for a fairly long wait...... I got "the" call Feb 22 and promptly completed medical, paperwork, signed contract and online on-boarding, I am starting May 22.

Last edited:

si_145653

I Applied for the GWR conductor pool Aug 21, interviewed Dec 21, told successful same day and steeled myself for a fairly long wait...... I got "the" call Feb 22 and promptly completed medical, paperwork, signed contract and online on-boarding, I am starting May 22.
Congrats, was this Exeter?

si_145653

Yes. I know of someone who interviewed at the beginning of the week (work got in the way so I had to pick the last slot at the end of the week) and they got the call to start in April.
Am pleased for you. I applied for the current pool last month and have passed all the assessments but heard nothing more since….. I’m living in Plymouth at the moment so they may not like that.

Rover77

I have been trying to get into the railway for 4 years. Double figure attempts. Some applications got quite far then pulled due to covid. I applied for 2 talent pools with avanti in North West in Jan still not heard anything on those.

I applied for a 3rd avanti talent pool as a csa despatch 3 weeks ago. Asked to do online test week later. Invited to group online exercise Thursday. Then asked to in person interview on Tuesday, Saftey awareness test Wednesday, offered a job on Thursday (today).

All a bit of a whirlwind, I did Starrt to think it would never happen. So my message to the original poster, keep going. Perseverance is the key.

NorthernTech

I have been trying to get into the railway for 4 years. Double figure attempts. Some applications got quite far then pulled due to covid. I applied for 2 talent pools with avanti in North West in Jan still not heard anything on those.

I applied for a 3rd avanti talent pool as a csa despatch 3 weeks ago. Asked to do online test week later. Invited to group online exercise Thursday. Then asked to in person interview on Tuesday, Saftey awareness test Wednesday, offered a job on Thursday (today).

All a bit of a whirlwind, I did Starrt to think it would never happen. So my message to the original poster, keep going. Perseverance is the key.
Congratulations pal, well in! Some people, somehow, seem to breeze it first time, but some of us have to keep plugging away!

Logger79

I was recently successful and placed in a talent pool. I was in the talent pool for approximately 1 hour before being offered a placement.

Moonshot

Established Member
Talent pool worked for me some years ago. The theory in principle is sound, but some do get frustrated with it when they don't see any progress

I was in a pool for a trainee train driver job after passing everything. The next step was a job offer and medical which didn't materialise. After waiting 2 years and after a couple of updates I recieved an email to say that the pool had expired and that was it!
There was 30 of us in the pool and I believed 20 were used. During my wait the TOC advertised a few times for qualified drivers which was frustrating but also understandable as they would be productive quicker than a trainee would although this didn't help me!
Luckily I applied to another TOC and started with them last year and I havent looked back.

Last edited:

Luckyflames

I was in a pool for a trainee train driver job after passing everything. The next step was a job offer and medical which didn't materialise. After waiting 2 years and after a couple of updates I recieved an email to say that the pool had expired and that was it!
That is worrying reading.

CardiffDan

Depends on the toc I guess. Me and a few others I know where in the pool for about 2 weeks. And from applying to training will only be 5 months. But it is hit and miss as you'll see from reading these pages

Luckyflames

Yes it wasn't an ideal situation, I have added more to my post which gives the full picture
Thanks for adding that. I’ve only been in the pool since early this year. 2022. Took Psychometrics May 2021. So have a little wait. Also down to last stages for 3 other TOC’s & 1 FOC. So fingers crossed. Who do you drive with ?

Nuttygooner

I was in a talent pool for all of 2 hours before being offered medical dates.

You don't go forward for a medical unless there is a start date in mind for you.

FlyingVixen

I got a call to say I passed my interview at 14:51 on Thursday and then was sent an e-mail with medical appointment dates at 15:56! So I’m assuming from here and what others have said, I’ll have a start date soon!

Nuttygooner

I got a call to say I passed my interview at 14:51 on Thursday and then was sent an e-mail with medical appointment dates at 15:56! So I’m assuming from here and what others have said, I’ll have a start date soon!
:E I'm absolutely made for you!

I had the call that my interview was successful a couple of days after from one of the people who interviewed me, which I thought was a lovely touch. I wasn't expecting to hear from them, and it was a lot nicer than a standard email from HR.

So when I got the email confirming I was in the talent pool, I was chuffed, but then when the medical dates arrived shortly after, I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Again, awesome news! I hope you get on a course sharpish!

FlyingVixen

:E I'm absolutely made for you!

I had the call that my interview was successful a couple of days after from one of the people who interviewed me, which I thought was a lovely touch. I wasn't expecting to hear from them, and it was a lot nicer than a standard email from HR.

So when I got the email confirming I was in the talent pool, I was chuffed, but then when the medical dates arrived shortly after, I was grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

Again, awesome news! I hope you get on a course sharpish!

Thank you!!

That’s awesome!! Yeah it is a lovely touch. I thought I would only get an e-mail. I had a nice chat with her on the phone.

Haha I am still grinning like a Cheshire Cat myself! Especially as a woman! I hope so too! Thank you!

SVDW995

I was in the pool approx. 2 weeks and I start in the classroom on Monday :D

Applied October, DMI in March and out of pool by March. Could have started in May but asked to delay (and they were very good to accommodate me).

I also know people who have expired out of pools but then reapplied and have also been offered positions.

Driver068

Are we mainly talking Talent Pools for Trainee positions and/or Quaified positions. Myself personally have been in a Qualified Train Driver Talent Pool for about 14 months so i am guessing this position will not materialise. Has anyone experienced this period of time or longer but then offered a position??

lawtoni

Are we mainly talking Talent Pools for Trainee positions and/or Quaified positions. Myself personally have been in a Qualified Train Driver Talent Pool for about 14 months so i am guessing this position will not materialise. Has anyone experienced this period of time or longer but then offered a position??
People need to understand that (in general, yes there are some exceptions), tocs skim the highest rated candidates from the top if the talent pool. It is not a lottery, in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.