• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Around 90 Guards/Commercial Guards needed at SWR before December 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

Good news for those wishing to join SWR. Joint Union/company establishment figures suggest around 90 extra Guards or Commercial Guards will be in place by years end. The exception being Salisbury.which will shrink by one Comm Guard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MiNi

Good news for those wishing to join SWR. Joint Union/company establishment figures suggest around 90 extra Guards or Commercial Guards will be in place by years end. The exception being Salisbury.which will shrink by one Comm Guard.
Did Yeovil ever fill all their positions. Or do guards still travel down from Salisbury on the ecs. Will Yeovil depot grow at all ?.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Would more drivers be needed too potentially?
Isn't this related to the guards' agreement which was reached last year, which involved a reduction in the working week (and hence a requirement for more guards)?

Nuttygooner

I have heard that there was a huge drop out rate from the pool since the new guard T&C's kicked in.

DMckduck97

I have heard that there was a huge drop out rate from the pool since the new guard T&C's kicked in.
Highly likely based on the salary increments. 75% for first 6 months productive, up to 90% for 6-12 and only finally get the full hit 1 year productive.

Nuttygooner

Highly likely based on the salary increments. 75% for first 6 months productive, up to 90% for 6-12 and only finally get the full hit 1 year productive.
From what I understand, people who had applied, but had everything on hold due to COVID, before the new T&C's were agreed, once they were advised on the new pay scales, they went "Bye Felicia!".

But to a seasoned recruiter, nothing screams "we are struggling to retain staff" more than a 3 month notice period on an entry level railway job.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
From what I understand, people who had applied, but had everything on hold due to COVID, before the new T&C's were agreed, once they were advised on the new pay scales, they went "Bye Felicia!".

But to a seasoned recruiter, nothing screams "we are struggling to retain staff" more than a 3 month notice period on an entry level railway job.

3 months is pretty standard on the railway - see this discussion. I wouldn't necessarily call guards "entry level" - you can of course join as a guard without any prior industry experience, but the same is true of train drivers and signallers too.

Nuttygooner

3 months is pretty standard on the railway - see this discussion
Not for a guard on SWR, until very recently, from what I gather.

Less money, more intense work and the Brucie Bonus of more restrictions? I don't blame the talent pool jumping ship, so to speak.

The idea is to elevate working conditions for all railway workers, to match the best, not degrade them and then say "well it's industry standard".

DMckduck97

Within the T&C’s was stated that a grace period would apply in regards to applying before the deal and getting full money, how long that grace period was is anyones guess. My best guess is a combo of that and the added revenue duties that some people maybe just didn’t want when applying for the guard job originally.

AgentGemini

12months before full pay? That is nothing new. Friend joined what was London Midland and had 12 months on probation mid-£20ks salary before getting the full pay. Not sure what legacywise, Abellio WMR do with new guards, but the resentment boils when you find out that other TOCs that run the same route, salarywise get promoted in six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.