• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva 153's

Status
Not open for further replies.

d1015fan

Hi

Looking to go out sometime for the arriva 153's anyone know wheres best to get them or where they run ect

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I have mainly seen them in South Wales on all sorts. One was paired with a 150 down the Heart of Wales route (which usually see's 153s too, but have had a few 150s on it before).
Last saturday a 153 was used on the Coryton Valley Lines service, and IIRC has been noted on the Cardiff Bute Road (sorry, Cardiff Bay) shuttle vice the class 121.

They might be on West Wales stuff too so I would personally visit Swansea first and possibly Cardiff.

Ivo

Established Member
The south-west of Wales is probably your best bet, out towards the Heart of Wales Line or the ports in the corner of the country. Greenback would be the best man to answer though, seen as he lives in Llanelli!

Pacerpilot

Swansea - Pembroke Dock, The Night Swansea - Fishguard (Mon-Fri)or any of the Central Wales services are 95% guaranteed to produce a 153.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The south-west of Wales is probably your best bet, out towards the Heart of Wales Line or the ports in the corner of the country. Greenback would be the best man to answer though, seen as he lives in Llanelli!

I can confirm that 153's are the usual stock on the Swansea - Pembroke Dock services, but there is occasionally a Pacer can be found, such as at Easter or in the school sumemr holidays.

The bi hourly Swansea - Cardiff traisn can also be a 153, as can the Heart of Wales line. Again, though, these are oftne strengthened during the summer.

If you are able tot ake a spin to Fishguard Harbour, the weekday night service is, 9 times out of 10, a 153!

anthony263

Established Member
class 153's are normally found on Swansea - Pembroke Dock/Shrewsbury service

they can also normally be found working:

09:10/13:10/17:10 Swansea - Cardiff Central
08:09/11:14/15:14 Cardiff Central - Swansea

The 06:42 from Cardiff Central to Swansea can also be a class 153 & 150 on weekdays and just a single class 153 on saturdays

Some of these services are interworked with the Pembroke Dock & Heart Of Wales services

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The 0911 Swansea - Cardiff this morning was a 150! It had come down from Shrewsbury as per timetable.

The HoW and Pembroke Dock services are often strenghtened at this time of year.

You should check out the Round Robin day ticket on HoW, Shrewsbury - Swansea - Newport & back up again via the Marches.

Pacerpilot

The 06:42 from Cardiff Central to Swansea can also be a class 153 & 150 on weekdays and just a single class 153 on saturdays

It should be a pair of 153s that spilt at Carmarthen and form the 0846 to the dock and the 0900 to Swansea. The 0900 is a 175 on saturdays.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It is,a 175 on Sats, as it goes on to Manchester, as it used to do on M-F until quite recently. Now the previous service runs through to Manchester, but waits in Swansea for the 0900 ex Carmarthen to catch up with it!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
sunday mornings if the marches is open, usually springs up a few. Also on sunday cheltenhams. Other than that don't see many in south east wales.

lm321412

sunday mornings if the marches is open, usually springs up a few. Also on sunday cheltenhams. Other than that don't see many in south east wales.

Saying that, I remember seeing a pair of 153s on the Cheltenham Spa - Maesteg weekday service back in 2008

krus_aragon

Established Member
For North Wales, the unit assigned to work the unit assigned to the Conwy Valley is a 153 most of the year, but often replaced with a 150 for much of the summer. I'm told that the borderlans line can see them off-season, but I've only ever seen 150s there myself.

If you're thinking of gunning for North Wales, the yahoo group NorthWalesTrainsNews may be able to give you a heads up on the day's stock, to avoid a wasted journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.