• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva 3rd refurbished 158 (158821 or 831 supposedly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seagull

I understand from a reliable source that 158821 (or possibly 831) has/is being stripped of its seats in preparation for being the next one into Crewe for refurbishment.

158838 is apparently very close to being ready to come back out - it's scheduled back on 5th May but this may not happen of course.

EDIT: Given further info I have to assume what I was told is what *should* have happened but obviously hasn't, yet.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

animationmilo

well 158821 was on the 09:21 from Shrewsbury to Cardiff Central earlier on today so doesnt make sense.

seagull

It maybe that the 'is being stripped' was a little premature - heard it second hand anyway so you never know. Or it maybe (quite possible) that something's cropped up with 838 so that it won't be out on the advertised date.

lm321412

I would say 158821 would be one of the last to be done, as its paint of coat was only done around 2 years ago whereas most of the Silver ones haven't been repainted for at least 10 - 12 years???

yahoo 158 groups makes note of odd happening with 158831 possibly going to Crewe - maybe a slip of one numeral, as below!

Small 158 update

Hello all
Following recent postings:-
FIRST GREAT WESTERN
Too good to be true with the 3car units all being correctly formed
158957 into SPM 21-4-11 (taken off 14.23 PMH - CDF), no allocation
then until 29-4-11 when out as 2car (without 57748) and ran until 1-5-11.
Ended last night in SPM depot again, showing today as 3car once again
though not allocated any work.
All the other FGW 3car units showing correctly formed.
158766 still away at Tyseley
NORTHERN
All these 3car units showing correctly formed
Damaged 158851 still on derailment repairs
I now understand this unit is at Brush Barclay - Kilmarnock
ARRIVA
The mysterious move of 158831 by road from Porthmadog
on 26-4-11 still not explained.
Unit now showing in Gemini as at Crewe (arr 30-4-11)

Sorry - wrong call - 158831 explained below from nwrail.org.uk:

ERTMS problems are not the only recent troubles. Not many mornings ago a driver preparing his Class 158 at Pwllheli in the morning noticed that one of the brake disks has detached itself from its axle mountings and was hanging loose. The unit was eventually 'dragged' by another train to Porthmadog, at slow speed with the problem axles supported by a 'wheel skate', and on 28 April it was taken by road down the A55, no doubt destined for Arriva's overhaul works at Crewe. Darren Durrant was able to get these pictures from the passenger seat of a car...

Last edited:

seagull

Now THAT would make a lot more sense: if 831 is already unusable and needs some work, why not have it in for its main refurbishment at the same time?

So it could just be a simple numeral error there in my first post... no doubt we should soon know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.