• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva bus 'accident' in Dartford 29/5/18 (Route 480)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oh dear.. so what happened here? Bus taken on a joyride I assume? Can be the only plausible explanation, unless the driver totally lost it.

https://www.wave965.com/news/uk-new...-25-cars-damaged-after-bus-crash-in-dartford/

14 people injured and 25 cars damaged after bus crash in Dartford

A man has been arrested on suspicion of careless driving and remains in custody.

Police were called at 6.48pm and the South East Coast Ambulance Service and Kent Fire and Rescue Service also attended the scene.

Footage posted on social media showed a trail of destruction as dozens of badly damaged cars and debris were strewn across the street.

A total of 14 people were walking wounded and received treatment at the scene.

Kent Fire and Rescue said one person required oxygen following the incident.

Oliver Monahan, area managing director for Arriva Kent and Surrey, said: "Arriva can confirm that a bus has collided with a number of vehicles on Hythe Street in Dartford on Tuesday evening.

"There have been some reported injuries and at the moment our priority is supporting the emergency services.

"Our thoughts are very much with all those affected."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Could be a stuck pedal or something?

Assuming the person arrested was behind the wheel, I would have thought the grounds would be more than carelessness if they weren't an official driver.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Could be a stuck pedal or something?

Assuming the person arrested was behind the wheel, I would have thought the grounds would be more than carelessness if they weren't an official driver.

The story seemed quite vague and devoid of information.

Warwick

Stolen bus or regular bus driver gone loopy? The stuck pedal thing is a non sequeteur as all that has to be done is for the engine to be switched off and the parking brake applied. Be interesting when the real story emerges.

Statto

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Manager

33943545_10216701999842327_118413871848357888_n.jpg

extendedpaul

I see the arrest was for careless driving - legally correct I assume but a bit of an understatement. Presumably the Arriva driver was at the wheel as there is no indication the bus had been stolen. The news reports are not clarifying the circumstances.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I see the arrest was for careless driving - legally correct I assume but a bit of an understatement. Presumably the Arriva driver was at the wheel as there is no indication the bus had been stolen. The news reports are not clarifying the circumstances.

If there wasn't a video, I wonder if the story would have been reported at all. Local papers are pretty poor at reporting these days. They'll have asked to use the video, and then write a sentence or two without attending the scene. They may ask the police for info, but otherwise if they have no facts they'll just write something vague (as shown).

The mainstream media picked up on it because of the video.

Far too many stories in the local press are like this. There's a major accident and the story is pretty much one sentence long, and gives no detail at all. If you're lucky, there's a picture from someone who was there and was asked for permission to re-use with no payment, just a picture credit. As many people are happy to see their name in print, they say yes - which means publishers have axed their budgets for photography (and axed their photo journalists) and often you just get a stock photo of a police car or something.

(Sorry, was in rant mode there!)

mbonwick

Established Member
More likely to be 'wrong pedal syndrome' than a sticking pedal. Note the brake lights aren't lit in the CCTV footage.

Typhoon

Established Member
As many people are happy to see their name in print, they say yes - which means publishers have axed their budgets for photography (and axed their photo journalists) and often you just get a stock photo of a police car or something.
Like a DAF double decker in the aquamarine and stone swoop livery in leafy surroundings showing the destination 'Rhyl'.

skyhigh

Established Member
If there wasn't a video, I wonder if the story would have been reported at all. Local papers are pretty poor at reporting these days. They'll have asked to use the video, and then write a sentence or two without attending the scene. They may ask the police for info, but otherwise if they have no facts they'll just write something vague (as shown).

The mainstream media picked up on it because of the video.

Far too many stories in the local press are like this. There's a major accident and the story is pretty much one sentence long, and gives no detail at all. If you're lucky, there's a picture from someone who was there and was asked for permission to re-use with no payment, just a picture credit. As many people are happy to see their name in print, they say yes - which means publishers have axed their budgets for photography (and axed their photo journalists) and often you just get a stock photo of a police car or something.

(Sorry, was in rant mode there!)
This gem of local reporting is a case in point: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...__high_speed__M65_dash_to_emergency_call-out/

Lancashire Telegraph said:
Two police cars in 'high speed' M65 dash to emergency call-out
Police were seen driving at high speeds on the M65 to an emergency call.

Two police cars were spotted travelling at about 90mph westbound on the motorway at about 7.30pm on Tuesday close to junction 3. One of the cars was captured on a driver's dashcam.

The driver said: "They both had their flashing lights on. They were going about 90mph I'd say."

A police spokesman was unable to give any details about the emergency.
In comparison, the article in this instance is relatively detailed!

jon0844

Veteran Member
That's what passes for news today. As long as it gets people to click, the work is done.

I do feel for journalists at local papers, many starting out and perhaps wondering why they didn't study something else at University. They're under pressure to churn out as many stories a day as they can, rather than perhaps write less but with more detail.

Print advertising is through the floor and online advertisers go by volume, so detailed stories are just not viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.