• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva bus fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
Driving north along Stanley Rd in Liverpool this evening I had the misfortune to be stopped at a junction alongside Arriva's CX58EUJ
As I waited several minutes for the lights to change I was shocked to see the right hand side of the bus repeatedly rising six inches or so on its suspension and then dropping again, on around a 20 second cycle. Effectively the body was repeatedly tilting to the left, and then dropping back down. I pulled away before the bus moved so couldn't see if the problem continued while the bus was in motion, but I'd regard the vehicle as unsafe and unfit to be on the road. The passengers must have been seasick
FWIW I noted also that of the four headlamps, one had a dipped light on, the other three (including both offside lamps) were on sidelights only.
Is this typical of Arriva's maintenance?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
Seems to be more of a a Wright product issue rather than Arriva, as the Cadets & subsequent successors to the Cadet are noted for this.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Driving north along Stanley Rd in Liverpool this evening I had the misfortune to be stopped at a junction alongside Arriva's CX58EUJ
As I waited several minutes for the lights to change I was shocked to see the right hand side of the bus repeatedly rising six inches or so on its suspension and then dropping again, on around a 20 second cycle. Effectively the body was repeatedly tilting to the left, and then dropping back down. I pulled away before the bus moved so couldn't see if the problem continued while the bus was in motion, but I'd regard the vehicle as unsafe and unfit to be on the road. The passengers must have been seasick
FWIW I noted also that of the four headlamps, one had a dipped light on, the other three (including both offside lamps) were on sidelights only.
Is this typical of Arriva's maintenance?

Nothing unique to Arriva. Surprised you haven't noticed it before.

fyldetrainfan

One of my local operators has some East Lancs bodied DAF DB250s that also do this, also while stopped at traffic lights, but not when moving.

Steelwheels

Its just the sensor on the suspension when the bus is stopped and it is not a problem to worry about.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Scanias seem to be notorious for "nodding" when stationary... seems as though the front sensors can't work out how much air has to be in the suspension.

I also remember that a company I worked for many years ago had one of the first batches of Volvo B6's. They were very fine reliable vehicles except for the first one of the batch which would pump air continuously into the nearside front suspension whilst driving along... it did nothing to affect the handling but if you forgot to press the button to kneel the vehicle at the bus stop it could cause some hilarity watching the old ladies trying to make that first step... incidently even Volvo themselves could find nothing wrong with the vehicle...

randyrippley

Established Member
Not at all. Do you understand what is going on ?
I don't know exectly how the suspension is arranged, but I can clearly see there's a fault with the pneumatics. Shouldn't happen. If it should lurch while in motion it could affect the steering and unbalance standing passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.