• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva loses contract to supply TfW with rail replacement buses, replaced by Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo_

On Moderation
Don`t know what Start date is but abellio rail replacement are to take over from Arriva supplying TFW Rail Replacement,

Edit
When there a change it classed as internal information so does not really get posted on internet.

I work for Arriva we not been told much about it apart from they are losing it, As we are 0hrs and still got other work so may have to apply for our jobs as we don't work for TfW.

But ARR has posted jobs

Contract Manager, Wales
Control & Schedules Manager, Wales
Senior Controller, Wales

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
What operation have Abellio got in or near Wales to supply vehicles, particularly PSVAR ones which probably means buses rather than coaches? Or are they going to end up hiring from, er, Arriva?

Established Member
What operation have Abellio got in or near Wales to supply vehicles, particularly PSVAR ones which probably means buses rather than coaches? Or are they going to end up hiring from, er, Arriva?
Doesn't really matter, the profit is in the "management fee" not the operating

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's not Arriva charging for it though

What I was suggesting was that Arriva RR will hire buses from Arriva for less than the going rate, whereas Abellio RR will have to hire buses from Arriva (because if it wants them quick in most of Wales, that's their choice) for "full whack". Therefore I don't see how Abellio can do it cheaper.

Domh245

Established Member
What I was suggesting was that Arriva RR will hire buses from Arriva for less than the going rate, whereas Abellio RR will have to hire buses from Arriva (because if it wants them quick in most of Wales, that's their choice) for "full whack". Therefore I don't see how Abellio can do it cheaper.

Ah yes, I see what you mean now. Coffee hadn't hit yet

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
What I was suggesting was that Arriva RR will hire buses from Arriva for less than the going rate

I actually wouldn't have thought so. Even though it's one overall group, each business will have their own accounts and their own targets. It doesn't help the managers of the bus businesses to give away work on the cheap to the rail business. And depending on how the financials are, it may be better for the rail business to lose money on the RRBs.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

It's all contracted out to operators (far and wide) anyway?

Not sure how they decide who does what - seeing Lloyd's of Machynlleth and First Bath vehicles in Ebbw Vale etc was certainly interesting at least among other op cos.

David Verity

I guess when Arriva held the franchise for Welsh Railways it was all intercompany accounting. Now Keolis is the franchisee it might be more transparent as to who's charging what to whom?

Boo_

On Moderation
I work for Arriva and Stagecoach RR

Arriva Rail Replacement is owned by Arriva Rail and we are Rail staff not Arriva Bus staff. ( Good for tax reasons as you get better unform tax code being a part of railway) but all others are owned by Bus companies as Arriva was owed by the limited company that owned ATW So they have to be seen as going to open tender for work.

in Many cases it cost more for Arriva Trains to use Arriva bus.

I have covered shifts in York Arts Control

Arriva would not really use Arriva Bus for work apart from Liverpool and Yorkshire as there was never the drivers and in event of unplanned Arriva bus would not have any Buses or Drivers and most Rail Replacement are run on EU rules so service buses can`t be used. Go ahead does use UK regs reason they use London buses.

Planned work went to tender. Unplanned was done by calling people to find out who wants the job.

When on UK regs your limited as buses has to have paperwork with a running board and has to be within 100km of their base. Unlike EU you can send a coach from York to Liverpool to start a duty. and when you plan you always plan for EU not GB as if you end up with a EU driver they can`t do GB without issues as Some drivers will not do it as they may have schools.

Last edited:

hst43102

Abellio will likely just be the manager. The operation will probably be carried out by all kinds of local operators. Here at Northampton, recent rail replacements were carried out by Stagecoach Northampton, UNO buses of Northampton and MK, Country Lion of Northampton, NXWM, Ridleys of Leamington, Skills of Leicester and even Midland Classic.

Boo_

On Moderation
Yes all what FTS / ARR / Arriva / Stagecoach / Go Ahead do is act as booking agents and can supply ground staff if asked. they get told by the TOC to replace a train or meet a train. and in a planned block would help plan the timetable or try and fit a road service to a rail timetable. It used to be the rail staff or coordinator would have control of the buses/coaches at the Station and the manager finding the buses and coaches that was asked for by the TOC and dealing with issues the ground staff cant handle. But now it all works by a control room run by the controller on 12hrs shifts. with the coordinator now the customer care person and also person to tell drivers what control want. there also a office team that deals with feedback from coordinators with times and who did what. as stand by coaches get so many miles unpaid and anymore has to be paid for by the TOC so they have to show reason they need to pay the mileage.

I work for Arriva and Stagecoach RR

Arriva Rail Replacement is owned by Arriva Rail and we are Rail staff not Arriva Bus staff. ( Good for tax reasons as you get better unform tax code being a part of railway) but all others are owned by Bus companies as Arriva was owed by the limited company that owned ATW So they have to be seen as going to open tender for work.

in Many cases it cost more for Arriva Trains to use Arriva bus.

I have covered shifts in York Arts Control

Arriva would not really use Arriva Bus for work apart from Liverpool and Yorkshire as there was never the drivers and in event of unplanned Arriva bus would not have any Buses or Drivers and most Rail Replacement are run on EU rules so service buses can`t be used. Go ahead does use UK regs reason they use London buses.

Planned work went to tender. Unplanned was done by calling people to find out who wants the job.

When on UK regs your limited as buses has to have paperwork with a running board and has to be within 100km of their base. Unlike EU you can send a coach from York to Liverpool to start a duty. and when you plan you always plan for EU not GB as if you end up with a EU driver they can`t do GB without issues as Some drivers will not do it as they may have schools.
That was very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to give a comprehensive answer.

Bwsbro

Arriva don’t normally operate any Rail Replacement Service for Transport for Wales. It operated the Conwy Valley Line replacement last year following Llew Jones being removed from operating.

In North Wales Rail replacements are normally operated by either Pats Coaches, Llew Jones and Lloyds Coaches alongside some other independents

Most operators will just sign up to Abellio, as these Rail Replacement Services are a predominant part of their business

Boo_

On Moderation
Arriva don’t normally operate any Rail Replacement Service for Transport for Wales. It operated the Conwy Valley Line replacement last year following Llew Jones being removed from operating.

In North Wales Rail replacements are normally operated by either Pats Coaches, Llew Jones and Lloyds Coaches alongside some other independents

Most operators will just sign up to Abellio, as these Rail Replacement Services are a predominant part of their business
Only areas that Arriva does any real Rail Replacement work is Liverpool as they have resources for Merseyrail. They also do a bit in Newcastle as they cover Metro routes. Arriva does do RR but not alone.

Start of this year I was sent to London to put on Rail Replacements for London Overground for Arriva London

As they Abello let them down and had no London Buses to cover. They asked Arriva Rail Replacement to run coaches, that was a fun weekend with coaches on East London Line.

Stagecoach in Manchester and Yorkshire also cover trams in Manchester and Sheffield for Stagecaoch Rail Replacement ( Stagecoach Midland Red South ).

And First bus in Bristol has the Special event team they work lots of the Rail Replacements for Arriva and First in that area and you would think they be happy to carry on with TfW routes.

Boo_

On Moderation
They will also likely be arranging train crew taxis as well.
Yes but would be Looked after by a broker for ARR with a account manager by ARR. As TfW used to not call the Arts control for taxis. Arts used to call a broker when Arts needed to use taxis.

Status
Not open for further replies.