• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Arriva sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I've heard a rumour that Deutche Bahn have sold Arriva to the Welsh Assembly to be effective 2017... There has been no news release... I don't believe the rumour but accept it could be based on a half truth (such as the wales rail franchise being re-allocated or the bus services being withdrawn by Arriva)... can anyone shed any light?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I doubt the Welsh Government would have any interest in buying Arriva Group. More likely is that there is a plan to nationalise the franchise at renewal, which I believe is the aim.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
I doubt the Welsh Government would have any interest in buying Arriva Group. More likely is that there is a plan to nationalise the franchise at renewal, which I believe is the aim.

tbh I thought that would probably be the case.. it certainly fits with the current WA governments aims to nationalise ALL public transport in Wales via the back door

radamfi

Established Member
Nationalising the rail network is nothing like nationalising buses though. Arriva only run the trains as a franchise so don't actually own trains or stations etc. whereas the buses are fully owned by private bus companies, although of course there are a lot of tendered buses in rural areas of Wales.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
If they can't afford to run a service between Llandovery and Brecon, I don't see them buying Arriva!

I will confess my ignorance on this one. Is this in WA's gift? Do they have the say on whether to franchise or not? I genuinely don't know what the position is on this.

Teflon Lettuce

Established Member
Nationalising the rail network is nothing like nationalising buses though. Arriva only run the trains as a franchise so don't actually own trains or stations etc. whereas the buses are fully owned by private bus companies, although of course there are a lot of tendered buses in rural areas of Wales.

Sure... but with the constant cuts in BSOG and concessionary fares re-imbursement more and more routes are becoming unviable and being put out to tender... for example... Arriva ran the X40/40 commercially... but when they withdrew because of cuts in the above the resulting T1 was funded directly by the WA. the Bwcabus network is directly funded...

it is a stated aim of the WA that they would like the buses under their control as well....

radamfi

Established Member
I will confess my ignorance on this one. Is this in WA's gift? Do they have the say on whether to franchise or not? I genuinely don't know what the position is on this.

Rail franchising is due to be devolved to Wales next year I think.

CatfordCat

In answer to the rumour, I think that someone has put two and two together and made rather a lot. I can't see DB selling the whole of Arriva, and I'm not convinced the Welsh Government has legal powers to buy it.

What seems to be happening is that the Welsh Govermnent may get the powers from DfT to take over the franchising process for 'domestic' train services, so will be specifying / awarding the next franchise for (broadly) what Arriva Trains Wales currently operate.

This news release from Welsh Government has more.

overthewater

Established Member
So this has nothing to do with the buses then? I think this topic will need to get moved.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I think its indeed a case of many rumours coming together and making an even bigger rumour.

DB have apparently been told by the German Government to float Arriva and other bus operations as they are non-core activities.

Welsh assembly will be taking over franchising and English routes will be split from the franchise when it ends.

Welsh Assembly did buy Cardiff Airport for £50m in 2013, a price that this week auditors have described as twice what it was worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.