• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Asked for passenger name when buying tickets online (TfW site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamyd

On Moderation
Hi,

I just bought train tickets on the Transport for Wales website (something I've done a lot before) but this time I got asked for a passenger name as a required field. Does anyone know why...? I put in my first name only and it was accepted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Hi,

I just bought train tickets on the Transport for Wales website (something I've done a lot before) but this time I got asked for a passenger name as a required field. Does anyone know why...? I put in my first name only and it was accepted.
It could be a case of the journey you bought the ticket for only being enabled for the old style A4 self-print tickets, which (theoretically at least) require the passenger to present ID matching the name on the ticket, or simply to assist ticket checking staff for the same reason.

pdq

This used to be quite common with reservations a few years ago, so that the reservation ticket on the back of the seat has the name of the reservee, whether that's 1st name, full name, initials or whatever. Maybe it was to avoid the old confusion when table seats shared numbers and were designated as facing/backward to travel

Haywain

Veteran Member
This used to be quite common with reservations a few years ago, so that the reservation ticket on the back of the seat has the name of the reservee, whether that's 1st name, full name, initials or whatever. Maybe it was to avoid the old confusion when table seats shared numbers and were designated as facing/backward to travel
We stopped putting names on reservation labels after customers started complaining about their names being available for others to see.

anamyd

On Moderation
Thanks for the replies :p It was a Carmarthen-Pembroke Dock Anytime Day Return, date of travel 19/11/21, again bought on the TfW site but they were app tickets (the ones with the scannable code) - I've done it like this a lot for journeys on other lines without the site asking me for a name like that, but I hadn't been on that line before.

Skie

We stopped putting names on reservation labels after customers started complaining about their names being available for others to see.
Booker or company names used to appear on the lcd displays above seats on Virgin West Coast too. A polite request could get something else on there instead. Virgin were usually up for puns.

Hi,

It’s really handy when dishing out printed tickets to people that each part (out, back, reservations) all have a name printed on them. No need to sort them out other than by name.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If names were taken on e-tickets you could potentially rescue the situation of a lost/broken/uncharged phone by proving identity for a reprint. I have long thought this should be an option.

Cdd89

Established Member
If names were taken on e-tickets you could potentially rescue the situation of a lost/broken/uncharged phone by proving identity for a reprint. I have long thought this should be an option.
I’m struggling to see how names on e-tickets moves the needle. Surely even without a name, someone can prove an e-ticket was bought prior to boarding the train?

Of course, that doesn’t prove someone else hasn’t been using it — but that’s not a new problem, it’s trivial to duplicate an e-ticket onto another phone; so why wouldn’t such a fraudster simply do that and do away with the pretence of the broken phone?

zero

I was asked for a name when I bought a rover at a GWR ticket office and it was printed on the ticket (ccst)

1955LR

I was asked for name when buying a Heart of Wales Circular from TfW & it was printed on the ticket (ccst)

Status
Not open for further replies.