• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Asking the RPSI to preserve a Class 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIR111Class

Well, I'll ask this now.

Who really wants to group together to tackle the finances of preserving a Class 80 in any way? I know I'm willing to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sir Myles H

Hi, i'm new here so hello to all! I was a coachbuilder for N.I.R. from 99 to 05 and have (bodywise) quite a bit of experience with the 80's,i'm also an enthusiast (one of the reasons i left!).:roll: The good news is N.I.R. have uncharacteristicly approached Downpatrick if they would be interested in a 80 set!! Realistically this is the only option in the North. N.I.R. dont want it on their tracks and neither do Irish Rail. Railway enthusiasm as told by others on this thread, is very viewed upon very dimly in Ulster, usually seen as childish if not downright sinister by most.( I encountered this first hand while working for N.I.R.) Don't forget, Marples and Beeching copied exactly What the N.I. government had already done by 1960 in decimating the provinces railways.
The only other option i can see, and the best, would be to preserve one on a mainland preserved line, there is no reason it could not be done, B4's with ex 73 or southern region three rail mark 6 motor bogies would fit fine, judging by the amount of enthusiasts who come over by the boatload to see what we have left here, it should be a popular draw. :p

NIR111Class

Hi Myles

I've been talking with a friend on Facebook and apparently he told me one of the volunteers of the RPSI has said they are considering preserving either an 80 Class or 450 Class at Whitehead. If an 80 Class was a choice then it would be an essential piece of rolling stock.

Since the 80 Class is based on the MkII bodyshell it can operate with the RPSI's MkII coaches (one of which is an ex-Class 80 Trailer!)

It's also fairly easy to get them to run mainline charters as they have already been made safe by NIR what with Central-locking the doors and stuff.

It's funny you mention the mainland because 8099 is stored at the East Lancashire Railway, but it's been put onto standard gauge bogies and is apparently being used to store parts of locomotives including the BR Class 15 they're trying to restore (the ELR have affectionately called the 80 Class paddy!)

I can't really see why NIR and CIE don't want the 80 Class on their metals. They were always very reliable units even for working a good 35 years most. Perhaps the 80 Class will just ruin the monotonous style (charm as they call it) of their Spanish and Japanese railcars? XD

102 fan

Hi

Having been involved in preservation, and trying to get a Hunslet or Class 80 preserved and running, I can say it will be an uphill struggle. I got so disillusioned with the whole Irish preservation scene that I started restoring stationary engines at home!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But in saying that, If 102 or a 2 car class 80 were to arrive at Downpatrick I would rejoin!

omnibologist

Has anyone enquire about the purchase cost. I have always dreamed of buying one to run on a British heritage railway, but have no idea of the cost of bringing one to England or if re-guaging is feasible. I have recently come into a small legacy but without a target price, I don' know if I am anything like close to realising my dream

102 fan

I do hope ypur sucessful. It's sad that one should have to be preserved in GB as opposed to it's natural home here, but such is the way of 'irish' preservation <(

Chris125

Established Member
Has anyone enquire about the purchase cost. I have always dreamed of buying one to run on a British heritage railway, but have no idea of the cost of bringing one to England or if re-guaging is feasible. I have recently come into a small legacy but without a target price, I don' know if I am anything like close to realising my dream

As always, the purchase cost isnt the issue; the hard bit is finding a railway that would want something so out of place, and the expensive bit is restoration and ongoing maintenance. Im guessing a 6 figure sum to buy (with spares), transport, re-gauge and overhaul. Im afraid even a large legacy would be unlikely to help your dream come true...

Chris

Last edited:

thunderer08

Hi all,
Bit off topic but can anyone tell me if the remaining class 80 is still in service and what diagram its working?
I'm over on monday and tuesday to sample a bit of DEMU action before the 80 and the castles are replaced, do Translink do a one or two day railrover?
Thanks, Mick

4SRKT

Established Member
It's still out most days and its regular diagram is:

06:25 Central > Whitehead
07:30 Whitehead > Central
08:20 Central > Whitehead
09:00 Whitehead > Central
09:42 Central > Larne Harbour
10:57 Larne H > Central
12:12 Central > Carrickfergus
13:00 Carrickfergus > Central
13:42 Central > Larne H
14:57 Larne H > Central
16:12 Central > Larne Town
17:15 Larne T > Central.

Also happening at the moment (until 26th August) is that the 11:58 Coleraine > [London]Derry and 13:10 return is being worked by the Portrush branch 450 class. This is a now rare opportunity to sample a DEMU on the Derry line. I'd make sure your itinerary includes this if I were you, as by next summer there won't be any DEMUs left. You need to take the 10:40 Central > Portrush as far as Coleraine to connect with it.

Translink have a smart card called iLink which costs £1.50 to buy then £15.00 a day for unlimited bus and train travel in Northern Ireland. Outstanding value.

Last edited:

thunderer08

Also happening at the moment (until 26th August) is that the 11:58 Coleraine > [London]Derry and 13:10 return is being worked by the Portrush branch 450 class. This is a now rare opportunity to sample a DEMU on the Derry line. I'd make sure your itinerary includes this if I were you, as by next summer there won't be any DEMUs left. You need to take the 10:40 Central > Portrush as far as Coleraine to connect with it.

Translink have a smart card called iLink which costs £1.50 to buy then £15.00 a day for unlimited bus and train travel in Northern Ireland. Outstanding value.

Thanks 4SRKT,
thats just the info i was after, hope to enjoy some 80 haulage, and a few castle's as well on mon and tues.
Thank's, Mick

electra27000

I'm shocked! I thought it'd be game over for the pair after being pulled from service with a wheel flat on the 24th June :o

4SRKT

Established Member
I'm shocked! I thought it'd be game over for the pair after being pulled from service with a wheel flat on the 24th June :o

Bad news is that although they did survive the wheelflat and limped on for another month, they have now definitely been withdrawn sometime in the last couple of weeks. I found this out only yesterday, so apologies for duff gen. :(

My own plans for a visit to NI in a couple of weeks have now changed and will focus on the Derry 450 class working.

I take it your Low Moor is the Low Moor in BD12.

electra27000

Bad news is that although they did survive the wheelflat and limped on for another month, they have now definitely been withdrawn sometime in the last couple of weeks. I found this out only yesterday, so apologies for duff gen. :(
No worries.

My own plans for a visit to NI in a couple of weeks have now changed and will focus on the Derry 450 class working.
Me and the missus will have to look into a visit to NI, to clear our last remaining 450s - only about 3 or 4, if memory serves.

I take it your Low Moor is the Low Moor in BD12.
Indeed :)

4SRKT

Established Member
Me and the missus will have to look into a visit to NI, to clear our last remaining 450s - only about 3 or 4, if memory serves.

I had planned two whole days in NI, the first just doing the 80, and the second going to Derry with as much 80 on either side of that as possible. This involved a Rail & Sail via Holyhead overnight on the 02:20 boat, which is even less fun than it sounds. As I'm not as mad about 450s as the 80 (although I still like 'em a lot), I will now do the Rail & Sail during the day on day 1 via Stranraer, arriving in Belfast at 16:30 in time for a Larne line return journey. The second day will be as planned, but with minor changes to avoid the previous 80 class diagram which now poses a significant CAFstitution risk. The 'golden diagram' turns into the 'to be avoided diagram' just like that!

I suppose the silver lining to the cloud of the 80 class bowing out is that it means NIR have to use any spare CAF on its diagram, and the Portrush DEMU (including one daily out and back to Derry for the next 4 weeks) will remain for a little longer.

K9-70

From what I've read, 8069 & 8094 was failed on the 1342 CL-LH (18-07) with problems on 8094.
8090 which was dumped at the motorway sidings for the last 4/6 weeks has been moved from the sidings, possibly into the shed for component removal or repair using parts from 8094.

So don't write the 80's off yet.

Update:
Just been informed that 8069 & 8090 are dumped at the motorway sidings and the trailers plus 8094 are lying in the yard, but that doesn't mean they have been withdrawn from service yet.

Last edited:

4SRKT

Established Member
Doesn't look like it, no :(

Still, this makes the Derry 450 class move even more essential. Now without doubt the most interesting traction move anywhere in these islands at this, the fifty-ninth minute of the eleventh hour of EE action.

fgwrich

Established Member
From what I've read, 8069 & 8094 was failed on the 1342 CL-LH (18-07) with problems on 8094.
8090 which was dumped at the motorway sidings for the last 4/6 weeks has been moved from the sidings, possibly into the shed for component removal or repair using parts from 8094.

So don't write the 80's off yet.

Update:
Just been informed that 8069 & 8090 are dumped at the motorway sidings and the trailers plus 8094 are lying in the yard, but that doesn't mean they have been withdrawn from service yet.

Well, i hope 8090 Is brought back into life! Had a good few runs between Central and Larne Town last may, and as its adopted cab name seems to be...8090 'EAR BASHER'

thunderer08

Hi all,
Had a good couple of days in Northern Ireland, 5 castles for haulage, 6 seen working, plus viewed 2 of the 4000 CAF's.
Its a long shot but could does anyone know the numbers of the Di-Dietric coaches on the cross border service behind 233 on tuesday 2nd?
Thanks, Mick

thunderer08

69 was parked on the road nearest the main line at york road, couldn't see any other class 80 vehicle's.

4SRKT

Established Member
Hi all,
Had a good couple of days in Northern Ireland, 5 castles for haulage, 6 seen working, plus viewed 2 of the 4000 CAF's.
Its a long shot but could does anyone know the numbers of the Di-Dietric coaches on the cross border service behind 233 on tuesday 2nd?
Thanks, Mick

Try joining the Yahoo Group 'Railcar' which deals with mainly Northern Ireland Railways stuff. Someone on there will certainly know what stock was on that working. Earlier this year I posted a photo of an unidentified 80 class DTS at Lisburn in 1991 and within minutes someone had identified all three vehicles in the set!

thunderer08

Hi all,
Thanks for the idea 4SRKT, have joined and asked, now wait and see.
Don't suppose you know which gatwick stock is stored at lisburn would you, or anyone else?
Mick

NIR111Class

The Modern Railway Society of Ireland are planning an 80 Class railtour called "The Last Thump" on 25th September. This will be the last public working of the Class 80 DEMUs.

electra27000

The Modern Railway Society of Ireland are planning an 80 Class railtour called "The Last Thump" on 25th September. This will be the last public working of the Class 80 DEMUs.

I'd be extremely interested in doing this tour and I imagine the wife would want to as well :D

thunderer08

The Modern Railway Society of Ireland 80 Class railtour, "The Last Thump" was a great send off, my congrat's and thanks to all concerned for a great day.
Does anyone have a list of the class 80's stored at Ballymena?

Thanks, Mick

R/e the class 80s the Downpatrick and County Down Railway ARE going to preserve a class 80 all being well and details are -

Downpatrick's 80 class preservation appeal was launched on Saturday. Money is not requested at this stage. Contributors are asked to fill in a pledge form and when negotations with translink are complete they will be contacted and asked for their contribution.

The pledge form in pdf format is available in the files section of the RAILCAR Yahoo! Group http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/railcar/
at the top of the page. This has been tested and prints correctly. The cover page is for information and does not need to be printed or posted

Or http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=991037&postcount=329

Forms sent by post should be addressed to

BRIAN GOODFELLOW
OPERATIONS MANAGER
DOWNPATRICK RAILWAY
MARKET STREET
DOWNPATRICK
NORTHERN IRELAND
BT30 6LZ

Original Message is at
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/railcar/message/6628
(Membership required).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Some pictures of 80 class demus vehicles being scrapped are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/63057595@N06/sets/72157629331653289/with/6881634101/

They were "halved" and then taken away to Hamils yard by lorry.

Engine blocks on 82 and 89 are cracked and deemed beyond economic repair.
Downpatrick and County Down Railway,has taken parts from,82,89,733,738,747 and 749. 93 was looked at but unknowen if any parts have been taken from her

8452 was the first NIR 450 class Demu to get scrapped.

Pics of the scrapping.

http://gordyhawkinstransportpics.sm...-2012/21680457_6KfDSc#!i=1805269335&k=qVrrvZx

The reason for the class 450 vehicles that have gone to Hamils (or will go there) not being offered for tender / being sent straight for scrap, was that these vehicles had been withdrawn early as a result of engine failure etc, then stripped for spares to keep the other 450s running, and so were in such a poor state it would have been a waste of NIR time to try to sell them for anything else.

452 wasn't fit to be offered for anything other than scrap (and tenders were only invited for scrap for it
I expect the remainder (the class 80s people I know some people will want to buy) and the 450s that are sold (will three sets stay as reserve sets and one be used as a Sandite vehicle?) will be offered for tender in due course.

As a result of the 80 tender issued in December 2011 and scrapping at Ballymena in March and the sale of 452 etc, at least preservationists now have (or can get with a little effort and a few enquiries) some idea as to the conditions of sale (from the 80 class tender that Translink sent to me in December) and the likely price (based on what Hamils paid for the vehicles from 452 plus the value of any retained spares - i.e. compatable with Mk 3 bodied vehicles in UK?)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.