• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ASLEF non-contractual overtime bans -various dates and TOCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

baz962

Established Member
ASLEF have called a non contractual ot ban from 00.01 03/07 until 23.59 08/07
At Avanti , Chiltern , XC , EMR , GA , GWR , Gtr , island line , Lner , Northern , Southeastern , TPE , West Midlands , Southern and Gat ex and Swr .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Drogba11CFC

How much do SWR rely on overtime anyway? Asking because Winchester City play their first friendlies that week at Badshot Lea (Tuesday) and Corsham (Saturday)

Train_manager

ASLEF have called a non contractual ot ban from 00.01 03/07 until 23.59 08/07
At Avanti , Chiltern , XC , EMR , GA , GWR , Gtr , island line , Lner , Northern , Southeastern , TPE , West Midlands , Southern and Gat ex and Swr .
Excellent idea. A shame it's not for a month. Better then 1 strike day here and there.

footprints

The previous overtime ban didn't seem to have any impact at Avanti who ran a full service regardless so it seems pointless calling it with them.

pompeyfan

Established Member
How much do SWR rely on overtime anyway? Asking because Winchester City play their first friendlies that week at Badshot Lea (Tuesday) and Corsham (Saturday)

It varies by depot, but some depots are pretty heavy on the O/T, others (such as Salisbury) should be okay.

Established Member
The previous overtime ban didn't seem to have any impact at Avanti who ran a full service regardless so it seems pointless calling it with them.

It will almost certainly have had some effect. Even if it doesn’t, that’s no reason not to call it.

Bumpkin

I live in Alton, so possibly Wimbledon and Woking too.
Alton services can be worked by Basingstoke, Farnham, Guildford, Waterloo, Woking or Wimbledon drivers so wouldn't say it is shielded from cancellations anymore than other places on the SWR network.

Drogba11CFC

Alton services can be worked by Basingstoke, Farnham, Guildford, Waterloo, Woking or Wimbledon drivers so wouldn't say it is shielded from cancellations anymore than other places on the SWR network.
How heavily do those depots rely on overtime, does anyone know?

pompeyfan

Established Member
They can be hit and miss from memory. I would imagine there will be reductions on most service groups to some extent, some through services are likely to become shuttle services, or it could be an enhanced Sunday service with additional splits and attachments.

Silverlinky

Same at WMT who ran a pretty much 100% timetable throughout ASOS. What does happen when ASOS is announced though is that release is cancelled, training is curtailed and its all hands to the pump to provide the normal service. So in a way ASOS is storing up trouble further down the line as potentially 730's will be delayed further, 196 training, 150 training, legacy route learning and even new driver training are affected in the short term.

ChrisC

Established Member
I’m due to travel from Norwich to Nottingham on Wednesday 5th July. Any ideas how this EMR route may be affected? The hotel I’m staying in for a week in Norwich does have a car park so I could take my car but I would prefer to travel by train.

LowLevel

Established Member
I’m due to travel from Norwich to Nottingham on Wednesday 5th July. Any ideas how this EMR route may be affected? The hotel I’m staying in for a week in Norwich does have a car park so I could take my car but I would prefer to travel by train.
Possible short notice disruption but otherwise as normal I should think.

ChrisC

Established Member
Possible short notice disruption but otherwise as normal I should think.
Thanks. I think I will risk it and go by train. If there are just a few cancellations on the Wednesday morning I should be able to work around that with it being an hourly service.

mandub

It won't affect XC or Northern as both operate without RFW.
It may affect Northern a bit.
During the last OT ban at my depot the depot managers told me they had to cancel more trains as they couldn't ask any drivers to start a minute or two early or finish later to help cover jobs or any disruption.

To be honest I was surprised any drivers were doing that anyway but that's what they said.....guess we'll see if the figures bear that out.

Jan Mayen

What happens when disruption occurs and a driver has to do overtime to get back to their home depot?

Established Member
What happens when disruption occurs and a driver has to do overtime to get back to their home depot?

The ban only applies to voluntary overtime. Disruption extending your working day isn’t included in that (unless being asked to do favours).

scrapy

Established Member
Yes No
The ban only applies to voluntary overtime. Disruption extending your working day isn’t included in that (unless being asked to do favours).
Only takes a bit of disruption such as a unit failure and extra shunts become required. These are not diagrammed anywhere so no driver has to contractually do them and there is very little slack so favours are usually asked. These favours will be politely declined, which then means services have to be cancelled to get a driver to clear the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.