• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessment advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

laws67

Hi all, wonder if anyone can shed light on this please. My nephew has applied to Two TOCS for a trainee driver position. He has an assessment with SWT next week with the other TOC Southern in the new year. He has received his practice material for SWT which appear to be for the old style tests. If he were to fail and he takes the old tests does that mean one life gone or is it reset and does it still mean a six month wait before retaking with any TOC? Hope that makes sense.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vicpaul

I'm under the impression that a fail is a fail regardless so he will have to wait 6 months. Sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

SPADTrap

Established Member
I think he may be getting confused with getting material that is similar to the old style, stage 1 of the new assessment process contains a few of the old tests, my stage 1 with the new process was

TRP parts 1 and 2
Group Bourdon
Driver Fault Finding Test
Tea-Occ

So maybe he's seen some of the old tests and not realised they've been carried over?

Any assessment taken either the old or the new would count as a life if he fails as well as the standard 6 month wait before he can take the assessment centre again. I'd be very surprised if TOCs can still assess via the old system with new candidates as that is no longer the national standard, people with passes from the old system however is different, passes are valid for 3 years via the old system and with the new system passes are valid for 5 years.

Hope this helps, if anything is wrong please correct me!

Last edited:

laws67

Hi all, thanks for the replies, after talking to him I have found out it is a depot drivers position with SWT and for that he has received the old practice papers (I remember from when I did mine in 2003), but the practice material he has received for the mainline trainee position with Southern for the new year is the new test material which I havent seen before so maybe SWT can still use the old tests for a Shunter drivers position? My advice to him has been to ring SWT to get it clarified before he goes as the old test practice material still shows the old fast reaction test ect which I believe is not on the Southern stuff. Hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.