• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TacoTraveller

Thank you for the response. In response to the first point made, I assumed something along these lines:

(I) personally feel like I would do well in the job. 'Liability' is how I think it would look like from an employer perspective, I have already failed once, so in a way, it feels like it would be more difficult to be assessed again, given the risk to the employer? I don't know. Would they rather assess the multitudes of promising new candidates over someone who has proven to not have the skills for the job? (as the tests are designed to assess)

I suppose you are right, you never know until you go for it again, and until you go for it again, it'll keep buzzing in your head! I also did pass some tests, so I might have some options in other train operators that accept those results, and avoid repeating some components. Whichever train operator the key comes from, I'd guess you have more freedom to move around after Qualified.

It will be my last ever attempt, though... not sure I want to walk into the test centre in November with that sort of stress! For me, this is especially terrifying, as I don't see myself doing anything else.* Which, really begs the question as to why I decided it was a good idea to show up for assessment while sick. :rolleyes:

*Maybe there are jobs out there with person specifications similar to this, I'll try think on the bright side for now.
If you're thinking negatively, you'll usually overthink it and mess up as you're thinking about it too much.

No one thinks you're going to be a liability because you failed a test or an interview, you could have been nervous, not feeling yourself or as you said feeling sick.

They plan the dates and you turn up however you feel, some people think of it negatively but there's a HUGE amount of information and software out there that will prepare you for what to expect. But on the day it's up to you.

As I said there's plenty of people who have failed the first time and then passed the second and become drivers

CalumMunro123

Hello,

I’ve been invited to an assessment centre for Scotrail Trainee Train Driver job, just wondering if anyone has tips/ advice or know where I can get practice tests to better my chances off passing. I have RSSB Train Driver assessment which does have practice tests and explains them all. The more practice the better I guess.

Whilst on this any pointers on what to talk about during my interview if I get to that stage.

Current role - Train Conductor

Thanks in advanced

RossMc

Do you have a date, and if so how much notice did you get?

I've recieved an email saying they will be back in touch with an assessment date but I've no idea whether I'll have a few days, weeks or months notice.

Started my preparation already of course, and to answer your question, I've also ordered some test practice books from Amazon.

CalumMunro123

Not received a date yet for the assessment centre but like yourself I want to be fully prepared. Can I ask what test practice books you got from Amazon.

I've recieved an email saying they will be back in touch with an assessment date but I've no idea whether I'll have a few days, weeks or months notice.

Started my preparation already of course, and to answer your question, I've also ordered some test practice books from Amazon.
Managed to get three books of Amazon that will help me to prepare. Thanks

Thanks. I have applied for the role of train guard. Having passed the initial online assessments the next thing is the assessment day.

The assessment day is going to consist of:

Written communication test
Group activity
Customer service role play
Interview

I’m mainly after any information about customer service role play and the written communication test please.
When I did the tests for my job role of train conductor for the customer service one, I just put myself in the customer shoes and thought what is the best solution but kept it realistic. Do what you would expect from someone dealing with your complaint/problem.

Got my date last night got my assessment in two weeks.

Last edited:

Alabam

Hi There,

Has anyone sat their physcometrics in the last year? I only need to resit the above test and if I pass that then I will go onto the final interview. Has anyone any tips on this test? Thank you

Croydon1991

Hi all, passed all assessments along with MMI. Woohoo! Now waiting DMI with southeastern anyone have an idea on time frame for the next stage? Thanks

Alfie1931

Hi all, passed all assessments along with MMI. Woohoo! Now waiting DMI with southeastern anyone have an idea on time frame for the next stage? Thanks
Congratulations!! I got my assessments and MMI next week. If it goes well I'll be at Orpington.

After DMI of course haha, it's hard not to jump the gun.

How did you find the assessments?

Croydon1991

Congratulations!! I got my assessments and MMI next week. If it goes well I'll be at Orpington.

After DMI of course haha, it's hard not to jump the gun.

How did you find the assessments?
Well done for getting this far mate! With the assessment’s don’t over think them. Take your time when practicing so you 100% understand what is expected of you, quite a few people on test day made simple yet damaging mistakes.
All the best!

DGarratt92

Hi everyone, I've been invited to the assessment day next week and I've read through some of this thread and am still not 100% sure what the written communication test entails, could anyone shed some.more light on this please?

Croydon1991

Hi everyone, I've been invited to the assessment day next week and I've read through some of this thread and am still not 100% sure what the written communication test entails, could anyone shed some.more light on this please?

Have you looked through the practice material provided on the invitation email? I don’t remember doing a communication test…

DGarratt92

Have you looked through the practice material provided on the invitation email? I don’t remember doing a communication test…
I didn't have any practice material on the email, all I had was a breakdown of the day.

Group activity

Customers service role play

Interview

That's the only information I was provided about the day

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on the TEA-OCC assessment. I'm trying to get a feel for what the real test is like and have no idea how fast the rhythm is for the bleeps. For anyone that has already sat it, would you say it is around 1 bleep per second, 2 bleeps per second or more? Many thanks

Also, is anyone able to recommend good practice material for this test? I've been sent practice material from the OPC but it's nothing like the real test

Last edited:

TacoTraveller

Hello all, I'm looking for some advice on the TEA-OCC assessment. I'm trying to get a feel for what the real test is like and have no idea how fast the rhythm is for the bleeps. For anyone that has already sat it, would you say it is around 1 bleep per second, 2 bleeps per second or more? Many thanks

Also, is anyone able to recommend good practice material for this test? I've been sent practice material from the OPC but it's nothing like the real test
To answer your first question you've ample time to differentiate the beeps and count them, it's not rushed.

To answer your second question, the practice material is all you need to pass, they aren't designed to give you the exact test to practice (what would be the point of testing you)

It's to give you the skills and basic knowledge to be able to pass.

Croydon1991

I didn't have any practice material on the email, all I had was a breakdown of the day.

Group activity

Interview

Ok is this for trainee train driver role? Mine was with Southeastern and there is 100% lots of practice material provided through a link on the email.

Last edited:

Samzino

Group activity

Interview

Is this for TFL CSA 2 or LNER customer service role etc?

Danfilm007

I completed my Stage 1 recently with WMT - on that thread, I mentioned that I received some feedback from the OPC late on Friday, and it turns out I passed 4 of the 5 to the WM Enhanced Standard (the Group Bourdon, TRP 1, TRP 2 and DFFT) and passed the TEA-OCC to National Standard but not the WM Enhanced Standard. They confirmed I have lost a life with WMT which is fine, but because I passed everything to at least national standard, I haven't lost an "overall" life have I?

Thanks to everyone's advice on the thread, it was really helpful!

DGarratt92

Is this for TFL CSA 2 or LNER customer service role etc?
It's for train conductor with TFW

Ok is this for trainee train driver role? Mine was with Southeastern and there is 100% lots of practice material provided through a link on the email.
Trainee train conductor South Wales TFW, I think it's going to be report writing but now sure

I completed my Stage 1 recently with WMT - on that thread, I mentioned that I received some feedback from the OPC late on Friday, and it turns out I passed 4 of the 5 to the WM Enhanced Standard (the Group Bourdon, TRP 1, TRP 2 and DFFT) and passed the TEA-OCC to National Standard but not the WM Enhanced Standard. They confirmed I have lost a life with WMT which is fine, but because I passed everything to at least national standard, I haven't lost an "overall" life have I?

Thanks to everyone's advice on the thread, it was really helpful!
My understanding is that you are only allowed to attempt the psychometric tests twice. Therefore, you would have one more attempt to get what you need and non thereafter.

Samzino

My understanding is that you are only allowed to attempt the psychometric tests twice. Therefore, you would have one more attempt to get what you need and non thereafter.
Correct and incorrect. Dan would have not lost any lives with National Standard TOCs like SWR, C2C, GWR etc but would have yes lost a life with any TOC that requires TEA-OCC to be completed to Enhanced level. Enhanced is very technical to get into. For example you can have two lives lost for a TOC that requires enhanced level via the VSE but then go to a DFFT Enhanced level TOC and provided you've met their standards with the other tests then actually try and pass the DFFT. If you failed both the DFFT and the VSE you technically wouldn't have touched any lives for National TOCs. This was what I got pretty much from asking in depth the OPC over the phone.

Danfilm007

Correct and incorrect. Dan would have not lost any lives with National Standard TOCs like SWR, C2C, GWR etc but would have yes lost a life with any TOC that requires TEA-OCC to be completed to Enhanced level. Enhanced is very technical to get into. For example you can have two lives lost for a TOC that requires enhanced level via the VSE but then go to a DFFT Enhanced level TOC and provided you've met their standards with the other tests then actually try and pass the DFFT. If you failed both the DFFT and the VSE you technically wouldn't have touched any lives for National TOCs. This was what I got pretty much from asking in depth the OPC over the phone.

Thanks both! I should have probed a bit more with the OPC - it's all rather confusing in some ways but as I've got the minimum on all of them it is good - he said I had lost a life with WMT but didn't specify that it was all operators who needed Enhanced standards (for example, if I went for Avanti, you don't know whether the score I have is their ES)

Alfie1931

I failed VSE yesterday (part 3) with southeastern.

I passed everything else before that.

I came away quite happy with myself, after all the VSE is just an extra they added on before the MMI.

The way I'm looking at it is, I turned up done the tests and left with my national standard, I'll keep my eye out for national standard TOCS and everything will work out in the end.

I'll pass VSE next time if it's required as I know exactly what I did wrong!

Part 1 & 2 is easy! Part 3 starts off easy and just when you are relaxed and thinking in your head what all the fuss is about it goes high alert and gets you!! Haha. I forgot to prioritise when that happened and tried to do it all.

Can't believe I fell for the trap!

Welshgirl

Hiya
I've completed the SCAAT and RAAT and now need to do the TCT online test - but the email says I need flash player. I thought Adobe Flash player was discontinued? Will I be able to complete this on my pc or do I need to install anything? I'm reluctant to hit start in case my laptop doesn't support it! If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it :smile: I have Windows 10 if that helps?

Last edited:

IsaiahTKD

Hi, wonder if anyone could give advice. I was invited to attend an assessment day with GTR on 14/02. We were told that we would have results back within a few days. I haven't received any correspondence nor had any update on the portal. I'm guessing no response would mean a fail? I have emailed the hr department but again not heard anything.

Thanks for any insight
GTR have been known to be slow but recently they’re moving pretty quickly with recruitment. I’d say no news is good news and you should give it time. If you failed you’d know soon as possible, if you passed they are probably waiting to arrange next dates for the next assessments or DMI interview.

I was thinking the same thing. Haven’t heard anything yet regarding my assessment day even though they mentioned it’ll take a week or so but still nothing. I guess just like What Ses16 said no news is good news. Just praying for the best at this point

TacoTraveller

Hiya
I've completed the SCAAT and RAAT and now need to do the TCT online test - but the email says I need flash player. I thought Adobe Flash player was discontinued? Will I be able to complete this on my pc or do I need to install anything? I'm reluctant to hit start in case my laptop doesn't support it! If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it :smile: I have Windows 10 if that helps?
That may just be an old pre scripted message, flash player was discontinued, but most browsers use HTML5 for any interactive content, so your test should still work it just won't use flash.

There are emulators that mimic flash if needed but I don't know off hand what they are for each browser

hull015

Can only go off my own experience. Did my assessment on 14th and was told wed find out early the following week. It was the Thursday I was notified. I would just suggest as others have that no news is good news

IsaiahTKD

Yeah, I did my assessment on the 28th Feb. Tomorrow will be a week. Fingers crossed, thank you for this. Really appreciate it! Did they call or email the next stage after the assessment?

Last edited:

hull015

Yeah, I did my assessment on the 28th Feb. Tomorrow will be a week. Fingers crossed, thank you for this. Really appreciate it! Did they call or email the next stage after the assessment?
Yeah I'd say just sit tight and hopefully be OK. They emailed saying I'd passed and would be invited for Dmi but still waiting for date. Did you apply for cambridge?

LKS

Hi All

Thought I'd post in here rather than a new thread.

Is there anyone who's recently started or done training as a trainee driver happy to have a private chat?

It's not assessment/MMI/DMI related, more asking about course schedule. Would help to have a forward thinking/planning.

Many thanks.