• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

At what age should politicians retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Politicians like to make laws for the rest of us, on working hours for example, though they sometimes have late-night sittings and boast about working early and late, does not seem right. Hope they go home by train or taxi after, not driving themselves.

But what about retirement? Many MPs go on much longer than ordinary people, Dennis Skinner stood again aged 87, he was too sick to campaign, and lost his seat. Perhaps a young energetic candidate could have held it. Was he unfit to do the job, if he had been elected?

I think maybe they should retire at 65-67 like ordinary people. I am retired myself, I do no paid work. Should I approve of older MPs who might represent the interests of retired people? But they are then by definition not retired, because they are paid!

Should they be encouraged to make room for younger people? I guess earnings are a factor in decisions whether to retire, but there is enough talk about that, I am interested in retirement ages.

I think they should be encouraged to retire, like normal people!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex397

Established Member
It doesn’t answer your question but I care less about the age of politicians and more about the things they can get away with that the ordinary worker wouldn’t. There are also all the questionable second jobs and dodgy dealings that Private Eye is regularly uncovering.

I don’t think MPs should have to retire, but there should be more done to encourage more younger people to get an interest.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
Anyone can choose to work into their 70s or 80s if they wish, there was in fact a recent change in the law forbidding employers (with a few exceptions, predominantly careers which require a minimum standard of health and fitness to effectively do the job) forcing an employee to retire when they don't wish too.

On that basis I don't see how you could justify compelling MPs to resign in their 60s.

My view nobody over the age of 75 should be able to stand at an election or by election to become an MP and that would include any sitting Prime Minister or Party Leader. Also Members of the House of Lords would be forced to retire at 80.

Typhoon

Established Member
But what about retirement? Many MPs go on much longer than ordinary people, Dennis Skinner stood again aged 87, he was too sick to campaign, and lost his seat. Perhaps a young energetic candidate could have held it. Was he unfit to do the job, if he had been elected?
That is surely down to his constituency party (unless he had stood as an independent)?

To answer your question, in some cases at least ten years ago, and these are not necessarily the oldest MPs. In my opinion there are MPs right across the political spectrum who should be put out to grass (or spend more time with their directorships/ consultancies/ whatever). To be honest, particularly with the Conservatives, I find many of the older MPs are more capable of putting together a coherent and reasoned argument than that of the recent intake. I would like to say the same about Labour but I am reminded about some of Corbyn's shadow cabinet.

It should be down to their ability to do the job, not their age.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Provided people are physically & mentally capable of doing a job, I am opposed to any age discrimination.

Or you could just ban anyone born on 19 June 1964 from becoming an MP.

Sm5

It doesn’t answer your question but I care less about the age of politicians and more about the things they can get away with that the ordinary worker wouldn’t. There are also all the questionable second jobs and dodgy dealings that Private Eye is regularly uncovering.

I don’t think MPs should have to retire, but there should be more done to encourage more younger people to get an interest.

how do you convince someone to take a job with no stability, no career prospects.. to be elected by affiliation to a colour rather than your credentials and spend your time taking abuse from people you dont know for things you probably had no influence in and cant actually do anything about ?

its no wonder they have second interests, because their first interest could end overnight in an election.

Ministers are a pipe dream for many MPs, its an elite social circle of close knit long term friends. Your high street MP has little chance of joining that club.

As for the route into it, in many cases its a friends network of local pond life authorities, who have an even smaller chance of ever getting to MP candidature, but enjoy the importance of stature of their 2 square mile… you need to fit into and suck upto that circle, if you want a shot at it, every five years and hoping that within 10 years another younger version of yourself hasnt the same idea.

As for salary… its a long haul of low income to reach that slippery pole, if your qualified and educated, chances are you’ll not Bother and get a real job… so that leaves those who dont have income/career aspirations, which puts elected officials out of touch with the majority of society who they represent… so why join a machine where youve no chance of changing it ?

I suppose if you do make it, it must be a cosy number though, you dont see many MPs quitting to get another job, though the clever ones dont give up their prior interests that made them comfortable enough to try to run for office.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Provided people are physically & mentally capable of doing a job, I am opposed to any age discrimination.

Or you could just ban anyone born on 19 June 1964 from becoming an MP.
Your proposal would get my enthusiastic support ... but I agree with you, there shouldn't be any age limit, for politicians or for others. I'm lucky that I've chosen to retire at 56, now 4 years ago, and in particular I never want to work for someone ever again, but I'd work for myself if the right circumstances came around. But equally I wouldn't want to prevent anyone else from choosing to work as an employee (or self-employed) at any age.

EDIT Of course the radical change for me, which came about recently, was when I became older than people such as the current Prime Minister, I think I'm older than the last-but-one Prime Minister (David Cameron) also. This probably made me think about things differently, a bit anyway. But I don't automatically respect older politicians (Jeremy Corbyn?) either. Age doesn't really matter is the conclusion I came to.

Typhoon

Established Member
One advantage of having older MPs is that either their chance to climb the greasy pole has come and gone, or never came. They are likely to be less beholden to the whips so maybe less likely to support the sort of ill-thought-out legislation that all governments come up with and the only way to get them to conform (or not) is what Johnson was forced to do, take the whip away (or threaten them that they won't get to the Lords).

Sm5

One advantage of having older MPs is that either their chance to climb the greasy pole has come and gone, or never came. They are likely to be less beholden to the whips so maybe less likely to support the sort of ill-thought-out legislation that all governments come up with and the only way to get them to conform (or not) is what Johnson was forced to do, take the whip away (or threaten them that they won't get to the Lords).
Similar to Army command post security, having retired senior officers at the gate means they arent afraid of confronting rank, dont have career risk and theyve seen and heard it all before…. Isnt that what the Lords is supposed to be ?

in my mind the Lords should be electable, non partisan and conducted after a General Election.

That way people can vote for a clown, still have buyer regret and oppourtunity to have a ringmaster to control the show, as an assurance.

Further revolutionary thought maybe 650 independant MPs free to make their own alliances on a per Act basis, but allow parties to lobby MPs and facilitate those alliances.

That way MPs can truly represent matters to their locality, rather than party loyalty.

Right now I think voters have lost all hope in all parties which is why we are where we are.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld

Or you could just ban anyone born on 19 June 1964, especially in New York, USA from becoming an MP.

See the added bit in bold.

In the USA, the federal constitution explicitly mentions that to run for President, one of the criteria is that you have to have been born in the USA, hence how Arnold Schwarzenegger cannot run for President, as he was born in Gratz, Austria. I am surprised the incumbent President Joe Biden ran as a candidate, as he is not far off from 80.

There again, in recent years there has not seem to have been much of a choice between the candidates as it seems to be similar policies.

Back to the UK, the present age before becoming eligible to receive the State Pension is 67. When the 67th birthday falls during the electoral term of Parliament, the MP could either step down at the end and not seek re-election, or if still in good physical and mental health could have an extra 5 year term.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
B---xit could not be stopped by the lawyers, but could bojos eligibility to be UK PM be challenged? Perhaps he could have ended up in the white house? %)

I think one argument has been that MPs should behave/be treated like other workers who mostly retire at the set age, many retire sooner. In times of high unemployment this might make sense, releasing jobs for young people. But apparently there is a labor shortage in the UK now.

XAM2175

Established Member
In the USA, the federal constitution explicitly mentions that to run for President, one of the criteria is that you have to have been born in the USA, hence how Arnold Schwarzenegger cannot run for President, as he was born in Gratz, Austria. ...

The exact wording is "natural-born citizen of the United States", which is a point of contention as it could theoretically describe somebody born abroad to US citizen parents. It's never been comprehensively tested. Schwarzenegger is obviously excluded in either sense as his parents were not US citizens (and he was born in Graz).

B---xit could not be stopped by the lawyers, but could bojos eligibility to be UK PM be challenged?

To stand as a Member of Parliament at Westminster one must be a citizen of the UK, Ireland, or a Commonwealth country. Additional citizenships are not disqualifying as long as this condition is met.

Regardless of this, Johnson renounced his US citizenship years ago in order to avoid paying US income tax.

Sm5

Regardless of this, Johnson renounced his US citizenship years ago in order to avoid paying US income tax.
doesnt preclude him seeking it back later, but that doesnt preclude the tax authorities chasing him once again either If he does.

XAM2175

Established Member
doesnt preclude him seeking it back later, but that doesnt preclude the tax authorities chasing him once again either If he does.
Either way, it's completely irrelevant to his being an MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.