• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW 158 refurb going ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
About time... When I did my Ffestiniog round robin they all seemed to have a funny smell about them, the state of the carpets was disgusting and one had an interior door that kept opening and closing every ten seconds. Having said that the seats were quite comfortable.

brianthegiant

hopefully they will remove the pointless wall between the cycle locker & corridor (a remnant from a long forgotten catering arrangement) . the current arrangement can be a nightmare to get even 2 bikes in & often ends up with damage to cycles. the cycle space without the wall found in most other 158 refurbs provides better flexbility for storage & makes it a lot quicker getting cycles on & off.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
As the Chairman of a User Group whose line is worked exclusively by ATW Class 158's I can confirm that there has been no consultation from ATW at all about the proposed spec.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I have done some searching and have found a picture of 175011. Looks amazing. like new.

Thats fairl good - no tables though :D The 175s do Manc-N Wales-S Wales services don't they? Sorry, my knowledge of rolling stock is sketchy in parts :D

krus_aragon

Established Member
Thats fairl good - no tables though :D The 175s do Manc-N Wales-S Wales services don't they? Sorry, my knowledge of rolling stock is sketchy in parts :D

They do Manchester-Llandudno, Manchester-South Wales, and some Holyhead-Cardiff.

That first set of table seats only has a small ledge table at the window. There are full tables at the sets of seats toward the middle of the carriage.

I second the earlier opinion about the 158's cycle space: getting two bikes in that cubby hole is a feat of origami!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
About time... When I did my Ffestiniog round robin they all seemed to have a funny smell about them, the state of the carpets was disgusting and one had an interior door that kept opening and closing every ten seconds. Having said that the seats were quite comfortable.

A two set of 158s was on the CDF to HDD which passed through Wrexham
at around 3.10p.m. on Monday, attached to a two set 150.
The 158s were filthy on the inside with paint peeling from the exterior,this must have been one of the sets you mention.

Established Member
I had a ride on 175 011 recently, not long after sampling a selection of (unrefurbished) ATW 158s. Even taking the refurbishment into account, I much preferred the 175 to the 158s, the seats on the latter were rather tired to say the least and were not particularly comfortable to sit in. Whilst not a fan of 158s, the seats in the the odd GW I have been in are much better to sit in for a long journey.

robert2000

can som1 confirm the timeline of when the units will be fully refurbished, is it:

175/153 - 2010
158 - 2012

Aictos

Established Member
In this month's issue of Rail for example it goes on to say that LNWR Crew won the contract to refurbish the ATW 158s which starts in December 2010 and is to be completed by Summer 2012 which according to ATW's Head of Engineering Matthew Prosser is basically ripping everything out and starting again which would put the 158s into a as new condition which is more then what is required of the franchise.

The MPC is to be raised from 6,500 to 12,000 which is what ATW aspires to do.

There will be extra luggage and wheelchair spaces, new seats, CCTV and a onbaord CIS system while the toilets will also be refurbished with additional wheelchair spaceto be fitted to the 52xxx vehiclers opposite the the wheelchair accommodation.

These 158s will also be the first to have power sockets in standard class with ten fitted per vehicle within a mix of airline and table seating.

While this work is timetabled to take per unit being done one at a time, the 158s will also undergo a C6 overhaul which is basically overhauling everything above the solebar, this follows on from the C4 overhaul which again is basically overhauling everything under the solebar.

Status
Not open for further replies.