• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Pacer allocations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash39

Established Member
Got a trip to Cardiff coming up next month, and before putting a plan together I could do with some help on workings if possible.

Out of the fifteen Class 142's and fifteen Class 143's, how many are diagrammed to be in service on any given weekday?

Do the thirty units operate as a common fleet or are each allocated to particular routes?

Also if any particular routes (or peak services) are booked 4-car workings, that'd be useful to know as well.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Got a trip to Cardiff coming up next month, and before putting a plan together I could do with some help on workings if possible.

Out of the fifteen Class 142's and fifteen Class 143's, how many are diagrammed to be in service on any given weekday?

Do the thirty units operate as a common fleet or are each allocated to particular routes?

Also if any particular routes (or peak services) are booked 4-car workings, that'd be useful to know as well.

Thanks in advance

26 per day and treated as 1 fleet for operational and diagramming purposes. Doubled up ones are more prevalent on the Rhymney and Treherbert routes but also work in pairs to Merthyr and Aberdare also. These jobs take them to Penarth, Barry Island and Bridgend and they mostly stay together all day.

ash39

Established Member
That's a great starting point, many thanks.

I'm in Cardiff from 10:30 on day 1 and staying next to Central station, so should easily be able to cover all diagrams. The problem I'll face will be the four remaining units, I'm guessing at least a couple will be out of service for exams and won't feature at all over the two days.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
That's a great starting point, many thanks.

I'm in Cardiff from 10:30 on day 1 and staying next to Central station, so should easily be able to cover all diagrams. The problem I'll face will be the four remaining units, I'm guessing at least a couple will be out of service for exams and won't feature at all over the two days.

It doesn't mean that all 26 are available for work due to exams and undergoing repairs on any one day or on another day more could be available. If you are there on a Saturday one would be working on the Pembroke Dock Branch and out of reach from Cardiff.

Parallel

Established Member
I'm not sure if it's the same now but one used to be booked on Maesteg-Cheltenham Spa services too.

ash39

Established Member
Just realised I forgot about the 8 Class 153's on ATW's books. Which routes do these tend to operate on?

I think my biggest issue is going to be avoiding repeat units. I don't know if I can be bothered writing out all the diagrams from RTT to try mitigate this!

Dhassell

Just realised I forgot about the 8 Class 153's on ATW's books. Which routes do these tend to operate on?

I think my biggest issue is going to be avoiding repeat units. I don't know if I can be bothered writing out all the diagrams from RTT to try mitigate this!

Cardiff Bay Line, Coryton to Radyr Loop, Sometimes on the Ebbw Vale and sometimes they are on the Heart of Wales line. They can sometimes be different though.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Also Pembroke Dock, Fishguard Harbour, Shrewsbury to Crewe locals, daily on Ebbw Vale for strengthening and some Swansea/Cardiff stoppers (Swanline). More than sometimes on Heart of Wales almost a monopoly. Although not booked can be seen on Maesteg to Cheltenhams on occasions and a job to Barry Island first thing in the morning coupled to 14x/150. Still some of these are away from Cardiff about where the OP was asking.

craigybagel

Established Member
There's also one Saturday only trip to Abergavenny for 14x. They also have been known in emergencies to turn up on the Heart of Wales line (South end only - with passengers swapping units at the crossing point since they can't do the Northern end of the line).

Also, whilst not quite as bad as the infamous Northern random unit generator, different traction from what is booked is quite a common occurrence, especially at the moment when ATW are particularly short of units. Even my own round trip this morning was booked 153 one way and 150 back ended up being the opposite way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.