• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Australia: The Ghan or Indian Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
Very true, the best thing about Brisbane is that it's on the way to the Sunshine Coast.

ian959

The best thing about Brisbane is leaving it in any direction except to the Gold Coast... I wonder if that is why they have such a choice of long distance trains out of Brisbane?

fowler9

Established Member
The best thing about Brisbane is leaving it in any direction except to the Gold Coast... I wonder if that is why they have such a choice of long distance trains out of Brisbane?

I really didn't mind Brisbane, it wasn't as impressive as Melbourne or Sidney but it was pleasant enough. You'll love this, I spent a month on the Gold Coast and had a great time. The ex's great auntie twice removed lived there with her daughter and son in law and their kids. The son in law was the head electrical engineer for Bustech. He took me around all the Surfside bus garages and I got to play on the CDi and wander around the factory. Brisbane airport was really nice which was just as well as we got stuck there for about 10 hours when it was closed down by a massive storm while we waited for a flight to Christchurch.

Now Canberra, that was dull. :D

LesS

Roma st Station is not very impressive but is is reasonably practical. I understand that there are plans to redevelop the station and particularly the bus/taxi interchange and terminal areas.

The city itself is very impressive and an enjoyable placed to be. The area around Roma St station is largely offices with good access to the riverfront. The are quality cafes and other facilities all of the way down to the Queens St Mall. The Mall is substantial and a credit to the city council who developed it. Up near the Victoria Bridge there is a large plaza area with extensive views over the river and back up the Mall.

There is much to do and enjoyment to find in downtown Brisbane. They have done well considering they do not have the natural advantages of Sydney.

fowler9

Established Member
Roma st Station is not very impressive but is is reasonably practical. I understand that there are plans to redevelop the station and particularly the bus/taxi interchange and terminal areas.

The city itself is very impressive and an enjoyable placed to be. The area around Roma St station is largely offices with good access to the riverfront. The are quality cafes and other facilities all of the way down to the Queens St Mall. The Mall is substantial and a credit to the city council who developed it. Up near the Victoria Bridge there is a large plaza area with extensive views over the river and back up the Mall.

There is much to do and enjoyment to find in downtown Brisbane. They have done well considering they do not have the natural advantages of Sydney.

I loved the City Cat, had a brilliant trip down the river on that. We went all the way from the city centre as far as it went towards the ocean, turned around just by the Pacific Pearl which was docked there. Couldn't get away from that ship, the people we were staying with had been on it a month earlier, saw it twice in Brisbane and then me and the ex saw it in Auckland.

DownSouth

Established Member
Brisbane is a good city to go to for an AFL match if you're a fan of the visiting team ... just because the Lions are crap at the moment!

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
I can't believe people slate Brisbane when Sydney Exists... the weathers better the people are nicer the parks are better the road conditions are better the busways are better the trains are not as good but there clean and sorting the etching problem out i also find the graffiti issue is less of a issue in queensland they actually clean Graffiti off within a few days whereas Sydney its very common to see Stock caked in vandalism for a long period of time. Personally i love Brisbane its probably the city i'd move to if i can but only one live nrl game a week may tempt me elsewhere! he says wearing a Broncos Singlet in Wigan lol Sydney is a bit of a joke when you've spent long periods of time in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Pakenhamtrain

Graffiti in Melbourne complained to Sydney and Brisbane is horrid. The Siemens trains in the Wheelchair area are particularly bad. The seats because of the colour show every possible mark and stain on them.
In my last two Holidays in sydney I only saw two trains with murals and very little scribble on the trains and I was on them very often.

fowler9

Established Member
Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are nice cities. Canberra is as dull as ditch water. Just a personal opinion.

delt1c

Established Member
In 2010 I did both which was a lifetime dream. I took seated class and had no complaints. The seats recline so sleeping is no problem. Access to catering vehicle and quality of food was good and compared to UK very good value.
I bought a pass and did the indian Pacific from Sydney to Perth stayed in a hostel in Perth then flew to Darwin where I again used the hostels before getting the Ghan South to Adelaide and finally the Ghan to Sydney. Original intention was to continue to Melbourne then on to Sydney but PW problems didn't allow this.
both services were excellent, if anything the Ghan was slightly better as you can make out the old alignments where they run parallel.
I plan to repeat the experience albeit in reverse direction and yes again I will used seated coach as this lets you mingle with fellow travellers.
This was my dream trip ever since seeing it on Tv in the 70's

Status
Not open for further replies.