• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Australia train driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yook

Does anyone know if rail companies in Australia recruit qualified train drivers from the UK?
Are there any links or companies to research?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Chances are that a UK driver looking to drive trains in Australia and vice-versa would be treated as a new entrant as traction, rules and regs will be different

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Chances are that a UK driver looking to drive trains in Australia and vice-versa would be treated as a new entrant as traction, rules and regs will be different

More piffle. If you had the faintest idea, you would be aware that there are regular advertising campaigns to recruit UK drivers to work down under.

However, look beyond the headline salary claimed. They are usually only after drivers for very long distance freight in the wilds of Western Australia. WA is vast, and it's basically Perth, and lots of nothing. A friend enquired, and if you wanted the mega salary, you had to live in the middle of nowhere. There was a lower wage, if you lived in Perth, and were flown out to your work location.

Ask LOTS of questions if you're thinking of applying for this. Accommodation, flights home, etc.

Yook

More piffle. If you had the faintest idea, you would be aware that there are regular advertising campaigns to recruit UK drivers to work down under.

However, look beyond the headline salary claimed. They are usually only after drivers for very long distance freight in the wilds of Western Australia. WA is vast, and it's basically Perth, and lots of nothing. A friend enquired, and if you wanted the mega salary, you had to live in the middle of nowhere. There was a lower wage, if you lived in Perth, and were flown out to your work location.

Ask LOTS of questions if you're thinking of applying for this. Accommodation, flights home, etc.

Thanks for response, do you know which companies recruit or have any links?

russmcp

It isn't on the skilled occupation lost (SOL). Certain occupations such as nurses, doctors, solicitors etc are on that list. Depending on their shortages it can change. For example 10 years ago hairdressers were on that list.

At this time you won't be able to go over, unless you could convince a company to sponsor you, however the company needs to show that your skills are required which I think will be difficult to do.

Best place to ask is britishexpats.com which is a forum, look in the Australia section, but I'd say unless you have another way in (family out there, dual nationality or previous occupation on the SOL or partners occupation) chances are very slim.

Robcuk

I just left Sydney suburban trains and I'm hoping to start at GTR soon as a trainee.

Melbourne is the best paid at around $140k, Sydney drivers would average $100k but next year there conditions will be under reform. Currently it's a 9 day fortnight and its a 24/7 operation award penalties are payable.

As mentioned you would have to go through the whole recruitment process regardless of experience.

There is a forum named 'Whirlpool' and if you look under careers there will be threads regarding train driver roles.

Cheers

Johncleesefan

Why did you leave before guaranteeing a job with gtr? Or did you have to move to uk first?

Robcuk

I'm in the 'talent pool' waiting for a date which could obviously come at any time so one factor is be in the uk ready for the medical.

Another factor is my partner is due in February and we wanted to fly with the baby inside the mother!

I hoping for a Feb start but it's not a problem if I have to wait six months

Johncleesefan

Fair response, I wouldn't want to make that flight with a new born either haha, Bristol to Glasgow was hard enough with my little un. Are you living on savings time being or picked up a job in the meantime?

Robcuk

I don't mind waiting a few more months as we are decorating the house and we have my partners 14 weeks maternity leave in the bank but I'd like to be working at GTR by Easter. I think if I haven't heard anything positive by feb I'll seek some work.

Back on the thread when I got my Australia residency permit it was a little easier as there were 100s of trades you could come to australia with - I went out as newspaper printer.

Most people we met came out on 457 visas which is the sponsored visa which you won't get as a driver - your main hope would to be have a trade that's wanted.

I think NZ maybe an easier option then once you have a kiwi passport you could move to Australia!

Engineman

Hey Yook,

The company was Australian Railroad Group (ARG) now known as Aurizon. I belive it was in 2008 they did a big recruitment drive and got drivers from uk, south africa and New Zealand.

Freight rail work has died right off in au at the moment so not much advertising going around. As mentioned above most of the job were for isolated depots like kalgoorlie meriden and geralton.

Im a driver in the pilbara north west western australia working on a heavy haul iron ore railway. I fly to work 14 days on 14 off. We have a lot of guys at my company that got a start here via the above mentioned avenue.

I myself am looking to move over to the uk in next couple of years and hopefully get a gig on freight.

Metro trains melbourne has alot of bosses ex uk and had a few drivers from uk get a start all beit from trainee level. Its a good paying job, maybee hit them up as they are recruiting trainee drivers early new year

Persistence is the key and make contacts, if you want it bad enough you will get it

Good luck and excuse poor spelling and grammar trying to smash it out on ipad :)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Sydney Trains also has a UK boss- ex TFL I believe? I spoke to a few train crew on a recent trip round Aus & NZ and got the impression that freight is in a quite bad decline but Metro work is recruiting. In particular they wanted more female drivers but many were put off by the high suicide rates (pax not drivers!) And some of the rough neighbourhoods that depots were located in. I also met quite a few ex UK drivers- particularly in the preservation world though most were out there via a family link or ancestry.

Robcuk

A few directors and GMs at Sydney trains are English! Howard Collins is the CEO.

The largest depot is at central but they are reducing the numbers by about 90% although I have heard the depot won't be moving far.

As for safety of depots I haven't heard any horror stories - I guess it's the same as any depot.

Yes I have read about quite a few job losses on freight.

As for female drivers - there are quite a few in Sydney although they don't actively recruit female drivers it's all down to performance at the assessment centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.