• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn 2022 Covid wave peaked earlier than predicted

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
What on earth do they mean by “an entirely new strain”?

Total unscientific nonsense. Who writes this rubbish?!

This article does strike me an attempt to get blood out of a stone, in other words trying to continue this at all cost. We have certainly reached the point where *most* of the population have moved on now, a fact that some people seem to dislike.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DustyBin

Established Member
This article does strike me an attempt to get blood out of a stone, in other words trying to continue this at all cost. We have certainly reached the point where *most* of the population have moved on now, a fact that some people seem to dislike.

Yes, it’s desperate stuff!

Bungle73

On Moderation
There will probably be another rise in Covid cases tomorrow when the Covid stats dashboard is updated. The last few weeks the decline in Covid cases has been falling back. And last week's was just a 6.7% drop. So I predict tomorrow there'll be another rise in Covid cases, ranging from somewhere in the region of 0.1% to about 7%. And I can bet the usual suspects such as The Mirror, The Sun, The i, and Sky News will be up to their old tricks again, with headlines such as "Covid Cases up 50%(or however much it is) in a week", and "The terrifying winter Covid wave has begun". You see, I bet it will happen! Some of these media outlets just never give up! Though during the last wave, the mainstream TV news actually largely behaved itself with hardly a mention about the rise in cases. Let's see if that happens or not this time.

I predict this upcoming Covid wave will be no worst than the last minor Covid wave. There'll probably be a rise in cases for barely 3 to 4 weeks before it peaking and cases start falling again. Nothing to worry about atall!
Speak of the devil…..

COVID-19 cases in UK one million again with first rise in England since mid-October​

Data reveals the recent fall in the number of coronavirus patients in England also looks to have come to a halt, with an 8% rise in people with COVID being admitted to hospital.

“Breaking news” on Twitter no less……

Richard Scott

Established Member
Speak of the devil…..

To be honest, I couldn't care less about this sort of news and expect many people feel the same?
Wonder if they'll tell us that colds are on the increase and any other number of viral infections? Just wish they'd put it all to bed now and forget it.

bramling

Veteran Member
Speak of the devil…..

Perhaps they could frame it as “Breaking news, Covid cases above one million, life goes on as normal”.

Well except all the facets of life the government has managed to wreck over the last three years, of course…

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Talking of nonsense doom mongering

To which I would say, so long as the country has maintained its capacity to develop and manufacture vaccines, as well as surveillance of biological threats elsewhere, then that is fine. That's what we should have permanently, regardless of covid.

If the argument is that we should keep on jabbing people whether they need it or not, I'm not convinced.

BTW, I had the fourth jab due to personal circumstances.

duncanp

Established Member
Speak of the devil…..

Worth emphasising this paragraph from the Sky News article

During the latest wave, the total peaked at just over two million in mid-October.

This is well below the spikes seen earlier in the year, when infections climbed to nearly four million in July and just under five million in March.

In other words, whilst we are still seeing "waves" of COVID cases, their intensity is getting smaller, and soon people will hardly notice them at all.

Class 33

Established Member
Speak of the devil…..

Indeed. I said it would happen didn't I! The usual suspects The Mirror, The Sun, Sky News, The i, etc with their doom mongering nonsense again. They just can't wait to publish all this nonsense every time there's a rise in cases! When are they going to give it up with this nonsense!! The only slight surprise for me is that most of them published these articles today rather than yesterday when the Covid stats dashboard was updated.

I'm certainly no expect on Covid, but a number of times I've actually proved to be more accurate more than what a lot of these so called "experts" predict will happen with the rise in cases! I predicted this week that the rise in cases would be between 0.1% and 7%, and it turned out to be half way between that prediction! I think next week's rise will probably be about 20%. In which case expect the nonsense doom mongering articles by the usual suspects to intensify!

I predict though that there'll be only another two or three more weeks of rises before it peaks and declines again. This wave will be no worst than the last minor wave! And there's absolutely no reason atall to worry about any lockdowns or restrictions being brought back again this winter!

When is the Covid stats dashboard going to be finally scrapped? That would help if that goes and puts a stop to the press and media obsession with the Covid stats and finding anything negative about the stats they can report in their nonsense doom mongering articles!

So no, I'm certainly not worried about these press and media articles! It's just irritating really that they still haven't given this nonsense up and moved on!

johnnychips

Established Member
Nobody at work has mentioned Covid for ages, apart from the serial twaggers who have nicked all the spare tests lying around. But I do know HR are onto them!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Talking of nonsense doom mongering

Thought people who wanted to get back in the limelight when on "I'm a Celebrity..."? Perhaps in a year or so we'll have all the covid doom mongers on there trying to get their names back on the front pages?

duncanp

Established Member
Thought people who wanted to get back in the limelight when on "I'm a Celebrity..."? Perhaps in a year or so we'll have all the covid doom mongers on there trying to get their names back on the front pages?

Yes, I would vote for Sir Chris Twitty to go into the Jungle and be forced to eat kangaroos testicles, and undergo other unpleasant experiences. <D<D

And Devi Sridhar, Susan Michie, and all the other locktivist bores as well.

TPO

It's symbolic of the culture wars; the far left support masks (the moderate left, centrists and right do not) and there are a disproportionately high number of far left type people in the health service, sadly. These are the sort of people who like the idea of 'zero Covid' and would fit in really well with the Chinese approach.

They want to change our cultural norms, to be more like China. We need to resist. No more masks should be worn. If asked to wear a mask, say "I am exempt" and don't pander to the loony far left China-esque demands.

I really think you need to stop worrying about whatever the media are saying.

Loads of people I know have either had some sort of bug lately or have one now; of those who had a test, nearly all all have been negative.

I know of some who have been off for a week but it wasn't Covid.

There are all sorts of viruses doing the rounds, as is normal for this time of year. Each infection acts as a boost (in a similar way to vaccination) to our immune system, which gains immunity as a result.

The Zoe app data isn't showing much of an uptick in symptomatic Covid.

For most of my days I am not reminded of Covid whatsoever; the only times it crops up is when reading the news (about China), or considering going abroad (e.g. to Spain or Germany; both off the menu for me temporarily), or very rarely when on a train or in a shop and I see someone wearing a mask. When I am at any of my workplaces / carrying out any of the jobs I do, I forget about Covid and it is absolutely 100% like 2019.

While such reminders are unwelcome, they are of no real threat to our way of life and we really need to stop worrying.

We are very lucky to live here and not in somewhere awful like China (or to a lesser extent Germany or Spain).

Events in China are further undermining the case for zero Covid; those who support masks and other nonsense in the UK are now shutting up as they realise the game is up!

Spot on, good summary @yorkie.

Yeah there's bugs doing the rounds at moment. It's winter. We need to catch stuff to keep our immune systems working effectively. If your already immuno-compromised, you may need to stay indoors (and perhaps be careful to watch out for other opportunistic infections such as Strep A which is all around us usually harmlessly, who would have thought Scarlet Fever would re-emerge, eh?)

TPO

Citybreak1

I see the usual faces calling for mask wearing to come back do people see us getting through this winter restriction free? I try and avoid Daily mail as they like to stroke up more fear of more rules.

bramling

Veteran Member
I see the usual faces calling for mask wearing to come back do people see us getting through this winter restriction free? I try and avoid Daily mail as they like to stroke up more fear of more rules.

I suspect there is going to be something of a “save the NHS” push from the usual suspects over the next few weeks. However I don’t think it’s going to get very far, even my GP surgery seems to have given up on masks now, and they were *very* pro as recently as the summer.

It’s just Kit Yeates from independent sage calling for it - he’s an extremist that is is safely ignored. This government will ignore them as they just don’t have the political capital to use on another COVID battle. My only worry is when Labour inevitably take power by winter 24/25, they’re much more inclined to listen to these types, and will bring masks in as they want to be seen “to care”.

Class 33

Established Member

Trust me, mandatory face mask muzzle restrictions or any other of that "Covid restrictions" nonsense will definitely NOT be returning this winter and beyond. If they were to have brought that nonsense back, they would have done so by now. And if there was even a hint that there was a chance that restrictions could return, we'd have seen the return of the Coronavirus Downing Street News Conference's by now! Each of the "Covid Waves" we've had this year have been progressively smaller and barely only lasting about a month! Even the press and media have began to back off now with their doom mongering nonsense. Though if you look around you'll probably still find some nonsense articles about. But it's nothing to worry about. Covid restrictions will NOT be returning!

Last edited:

danm14

The NHS app for England and Wales has now - suddenly, eight months after free NHS testing ended - been updated to allow people to report positive test results from tests purchased privately rather than just NHS tests, "to help with contact tracing". Those with the app still installed received a notification to this effect today. I cannot find any record of this online yet, but if you try to report the result of an unrecognised test barcode on https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result you now receive the message attached. Try it with a dummy test barcode such as TEST123456.

Looks like the numbers haven't been high enough lately.

Picture attached shows the message received if you attempt to enter a serial number not associated with a free NHS test on the www.gov.uk website - "If you used a paid-for test, you cannot use this service. In England and Wales you can enter a positive result for a test you paid for in the NHS COVID-19 app."

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 21
They've even stopped plugging the new variant tactic. When the omicron hysteria was at full pelt this time last year I felt sure it would become a regular six monthly occurrence. New variant appears and the world waits on tenterhooks to see if it's "back to square one"

Thankfully we carried on with no restrictions on where you could go and who you could see while the rest of Europe brought them back. Probably the only good thing Johnson ever did as PM. If we'd followed them down that path once again I'm certain it would have become an annual thing, but we held firm and proved beyond doubt that such draconian measures were completely unnecessary

Southern Dvr

My apologies if I’ve missed this point being made elsewhere but one important factor as I see it is that there are much fewer people testing now.

I have just recovered from covid but the only reason I knew that what it was is due to the fact mother who i had seen the previous weekend told me she had it and because I had some test kits left over the Covid ‘heyday’ when we were issued them for free.

At a time of cost of living crisis how many people are going to be paying for a covid test now? How many people will even think to do a covid test and more important still of those doing the tests how many will report their results?

My point here is that I don’t think we will have accurate enough data to really know where the virus is or what it’s doing, but unless a more ‘dangerous’ variant comes along this will suit the narrative that Covid is over and that’s that.

westv

Established Member
My point here is that I don’t think we will have accurate enough data to really know where the virus is or what it’s doing, but unless a more ‘dangerous’ variant comes along this will suit the narrative that Covid is over and that’s that.
As far as I'm aware the ONS still does its Covid survey.

DustyBin

Established Member
My apologies if I’ve missed this point being made elsewhere but one important factor as I see it is that there are much fewer people testing now.

I have just recovered from covid but the only reason I knew that what it was is due to the fact mother who i had seen the previous weekend told me she had it and because I had some test kits left over the Covid ‘heyday’ when we were issued them for free.

At a time of cost of living crisis how many people are going to be paying for a covid test now? How many people will even think to do a covid test and more important still of those doing the tests how many will report their results?

Do we really need to know where the virus is or what it’s doing though? It’s now endemic, and no longer a direct threat to public health (if it ever was). In this regard it is indeed “over”.

SARS-CoV-2 is now just another coronavirus (there are four other common ones). Personally, if I get a cold I don’t feel the need to know which one is responsible.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Of course people aren't testing as much, and its not just because of financial reasons. Most people don't want to spend the rest of their lives prodding silly bits of plastic up their noses just to keep statisticians and politicians happy. We don't need any more data than we already have, there's plenty from the world over from the last three years to give life to a billion more Excel charts and PowerPoint slides. But if we want to know where the virus is, just open your door. The virus is endemic, and we understand it's impact, which for the vast majority of people will be somewhere between absolutely nothing to a bad cold. And for those at more risk, we know how they can help to protect themselves, and have treatments online should they need it.

In short, we don't need testing any more. The only people who do need them to keep happening are the companies that make them, and most of them are in China so they can soon adapt to something else.

island

Veteran Member
UKHSA figures show that hospital admissions for flu are now higher than for COVID (6.8 per 100,000 population compared to 6.6) for the week to 11•DMR•22. This is the first time since early 2020 that this was the case.

Dent

The NHS app for England and Wales has now - suddenly, eight months after free NHS testing ended - been updated to allow people to report positive test results from tests purchased privately rather than just NHS tests, "to help with contact tracing". Those with the app still installed received a notification to this effect today. I cannot find any record of this online yet, but if you try to report the result of an unrecognised test barcode on https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result you now receive the message attached. Try it with a dummy test barcode such as TEST123456.

Looks like the numbers haven't been high enough lately.

That refers to the COVID app, not the NHS app. I don't see how tests reported through the COVID app could be included in the official stats anyway, since the app is anonymous there would be no way of cross-referencing against cases reported elsewhere to remove duplicates.

I don't know why they would bother updating the COVID app at this stage, it is basically dead now with very few venues even displaying the check-in codes, and no requirement for anyone to use them.

westv

Established Member
UKHSA figures show that hospital admissions for flu are now higher than for COVID (6.8 per 100,000 population compared to 6.6) for the week to 11•DMR•22. This is the first time since early 2020 that this was the case.
Our local rag's website says there is a "Tsunami of flu" heading our way with "EIGHT (their capitals) times the usual cases"

Bungle73

On Moderation
That refers to the COVID app, not the NHS app. I don't see how tests reported through the COVID app could be included in the official stats anyway, since the app is anonymous there would be no way of cross-referencing against cases reported elsewhere to remove duplicates.

I don't know why they would bother updating the COVID app at this stage, it is basically dead now with very few venues even displaying the check-in codes, and no requirement for anyone to use them.

I just had a look and venues can't even create a check-in QR code now anyway.

duncanp

Established Member
They've even stopped plugging the new variant tactic. When the omicron hysteria was at full pelt this time last year I felt sure it would become a regular six monthly occurrence. New variant appears and the world waits on tenterhooks to see if it's "back to square one"

Thankfully we carried on with no restrictions on where you could go and who you could see while the rest of Europe brought them back. Probably the only good thing Johnson ever did as PM. If we'd followed them down that path once again I'm certain it would have become an annual thing, but we held firm and proved beyond doubt that such draconian measures were completely unnecessary

We came very close to having a lockdown this year, and Rishi Sunak was instrumental in preventing the lockdown from happening

There’s a long list of people who “saved” last Christmas, but Sunak deserves a place near the top. Had he not intervened, the economy and society would have been closed yet again.

One of the reasons we came close to a lockdown was the government making decisions based on dodgy data and "modelling".

By the time the Cabinet met on December 20, JP Morgan was able to predict, correctly, that Omicron hospital admissions would peak at 1,500. Sage was a mess. Its daily death range of 600 to 6,000 was bunkum: the actual peak was 269.

But what is worrying is that no lessons have been learnt, and the locktivists would have us under house arrest again if they get a government which is compliant and doesn't ask too many awkward questions. This is what concerns me about Sir Keir Starmer as Prime Minister, which seems quite likely at the moment. (especially if he is in coalition with the Lib Dems and/or the SNP)

There has been no apology or contrition from the main Sage figures for mistakes. Graham Medley, chair of its modellers, even collected a medal from the Royal Society for his work. The apparatus that almost misled Britain into a needless lockdown last Christmas is still there, waiting to snap back into use.

One year on, we still haven’t learnt the lessons of lockdown failure​

The apparatus that was so eager to apply restrictions last Christmas is still there, ready to pounce again

It was a year ago today that Britain was set to be locked down again for the fourth time. The Omicron variant was at large and experts at Sage had predicted there would be between 600 to 6,000 deaths a day unless “interventions” were made. Plans were drawn up and an emergency press conference pencilled in – but this time, the script changed. When Rishi Sunak heard what was happening, he threatened to resign. He flew back early from his trip to California and demanded this was discussed at a Cabinet meeting, which, as he knew it would, killed the idea.

There’s a long list of people who “saved” last Christmas, but Sunak deserves a place near the top. Had he not intervened, the economy and society would have been closed yet again. If the blood-curdling Sage “scenarios” did not come to pass, lockdown would be credited. Sunak had gone along with previous shutdowns, thinking himself a lone voice of dissent. But this time, he had enough support at a time when Boris Johnson had already lost a by-election and lost David Frost, his Brexit minister. He could not afford to lose a Chancellor.

This tells us three things. First, that Sunak was single-minded enough to take on the whole government machine, risking his career. Next, he’s smart enough to work out when the civil service has been captured by groupthink and find his own information. But perhaps the biggest lesson was that there was – and remains – a massive flaw in the government system, where decisions are taken on unreliable science, with minimal scrutiny. It’s a scandal that ought to have been quickly remedied, but what we see instead is a pattern of denial.

Lockdown remains at the root of the biggest problems that confront the country, but few are willing to say so. Euphemisms are used, like saying that “the pandemic” destroyed 10 years of progress in education equality. Yet Sweden had a pandemic, but no lockdown, no national school closures below sixth-form and no educational hit.

The NHS waiting lists, the 565,000 “missing” workers, the rise in at-home deaths, and nearly 9,000 more cancer deaths – all linked to lockdown’s legacy.

No one disputes the damage – the question is whether it was a price worth paying for a smaller pandemic death toll. But advocates of lockdown seem strikingly uninterested in finding out. A report was published earlier this month by (among others) Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance, the two gentlemen of Corona, to summarise what they learned from handling the pandemic. What about lockdowns? Hard to tell these things, it says, because so many things happen at once. In this way, the £400 billion question – do lockdowns work? – is breezily cast aside.

The events of last December alone could themselves be enough for an official inquiry, as Sunak knows better than anyone. A former financier, he still reads research notes from banks and received a December 13 paper from JP Morgan. It used real-world South African data to model the UK hospitalisation rate peaking at about 34 per cent of the previous (Delta) wave. Crucial information which, if true, could save the country from another lockdown.

But such information was not being shown to the Cabinet members. Instead they were being given terrifying Sage “scenarios” with good news filtered out. On December 15 last year, Whitty was saying: “All the things that we do know [about Omicron] are bad.” This was quite untrue: the milder illness and shorter hospital stays had, by then, been reported by South African authorities. This didn’t stop Dr Jenny Harries, Whitty’s former deputy, proclaiming Omicron to be “probably the most significant threat” since the discovery of Covid.

By the time the Cabinet met on December 20, JP Morgan was able to predict, correctly, that Omicron hospital admissions would peak at 1,500. Sage was a mess. Its daily death range of 600 to 6,000 was bunkum: the actual peak was 269. This is what Whitty et al should be asking now: why did they get it so wrong? Why were ministers fed such misleading figures? A nation was about to be shut down: shops hit, schools closed, Christmases cancelled, on the strength of scenarios which (as Sage later admitted) were “at variance with reality”. Why was this allowed?

There is, of course, an even more awkward question. The third lockdown in January 2021 was extended for months on the strength of these Sage “scenarios”. Might these figures have been as off as the Omicron scenarios turned out to be? If so, how much of these UK lockdowns may now prove to have been unnecessary? This isn’t an investigation that Whitty will be conducting in a hurry.

The formal Covid inquiry looks designed to avoid the hardest questions about lockdowns. It’s not about guilt: we can assume everyone acted honourably, on the best information they had. The question is why dud information was not exposed, or policies properly tested. The basic (in some countries, compulsory) way of judging public health questions is a “quality of life years lost” study: factoring in age and health impacts of the problem and the solution. Sunak was astonished to find that no such study had been conducted for lockdown. It is, of course, not too late to do one now. But not many in Parliament would thank him for it.

This isn’t about litigating the past, but getting ready for the future. When the next pathogen is discovered, what to do? If old mistakes aren’t recognised, they’re certain to be repeated. There has been no apology or contrition from the main Sage figures for mistakes. Graham Medley, chair of its modellers, even collected a medal from the Royal Society for his work. The apparatus that almost misled Britain into a needless lockdown last Christmas is still there, waiting to snap back into use.

More than perhaps anyone else in the Cabinet, Sunak knows how rotten the old system was; how dissenting voices were crushed and how many questions seem to have been deliberately ignored. He has many battles to fight before he reforms the pandemic preparedness that failed us so badly last time. He’ll just have to hope – as we all will – that he’ll get it done before the next panic starts.

greyman42

Established Member
But what is worrying is that no lessons have been learnt, and the locktivists would have us under house arrest again if they get a government which is compliant and doesn't ask too many awkward questions. This is what concerns me about Sir Keir Starmer as Prime Minister, which seems quite likely at the moment. (especially if he is in coalition with the Lib Dems and/or the SNP)
I agree, so why would normal people, who do not want lockdowns, vote for Starmer?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
We came very close to having a lockdown this year, and Rishi Sunak was instrumental in preventing the lockdown from happening

One of the reasons we came close to a lockdown was the government making decisions based on dodgy data and "modelling".

It is a problem, and we have an inquiry that ought to get to the bottom of it. Whether it will of course remains to be seen.

I agree, so why would normal people, who do not want lockdowns, vote for Starmer?

Because the current government have been in too long and trashed the economy through ideology.

Status
Not open for further replies.