• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti First Class 'sold out'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Various parties are insistent on leaving seats available for last minute customers.

That doesn't require compulsory reservations - quite the opposite!

Indeed it is mad. Seatfrog should be selling distressed inventory, not getting a quota on every train for first dibs.

To be honest Seatfrog should be selling SP on Avanti, not First. There's only a tiny amount of First which it appears will largely sell to walk up customers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Various parties are insistent on leaving seats available for last minute customers.
Good!!! Shame Avanti try to tell everyone to go away once all their reservable seats are booked, making no allowance for the unreseravable seats, as LNER do.

Indeed, if only the DfT were competent, since they care about this then they should simply tell LNER and Avanti to stop actively lying to their customers
At least in the case of LNER there's an allowance for people who book seats but don't show, and for the unreseravable seats, this is in the form of counted place reservations. On Avanti West Coast there isn't.

Established Member
Avanti:
'It is indeed the case that a limited amount of First Class tickets are available to buy for any service. Some are always reserved for walk-up passengers, and some are sold by Seatfrog and can be bid on for last-minute upgrades.'
Utter rubbish by FG Avanti. The DfT who take the cash from tickets should be looking at why FirstGroup are only making available 25% of the seats (as stated in the post) for Advance sales, a figure I agree is accurate - it leaves 1st Class mostly empty with revenue lost or business going elsewhere.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Good!!! Shame Avanti try to tell everyone to go away once all their reservable seats are booked, making no allowance for the unreseravable seats, as LNER do.

Certainly - if you're going to do it, LNER are doing it "properly" - Avanti are, as usual, making a mess and just pointlessly turning away business.

OscarH

At least in the case of LNER there's an allowance for people who book seats but don't show, and for the unreseravable seats, this is in the form of counted place reservations. On Avanti West Coast there isn't.
While LNER's bodge there might be better in some ways, it does cause some other fun as I recall, and I'm loathed to give credit for doing a bad thing slightly less badly when other operators like GWR can just not do the bad thing at all

There is even an option in the data for "Reservations Recommended" as well as none/optional/compulsory, which would be far more appropriate here

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
While LNER's bodge there might be better in some ways, it does cause some other fun as I recall, and I'm loathed to give credit for doing a bad thing slightly less badly when other operators like GWR can just not do the bad thing at all

There is even an option in the data for "Reservations Recommended" as well as none/optional/compulsory, which would be far more appropriate here

The idea of it is primarily to control when given trains go on sale including for walk-up fares, which Reservations Recommended doesn't do.

Starmill

Veteran Member

I think I can agree with the principle you're getting at here yes.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The DfT who take the cash from tickets
Revenue goes to the Treasury, not DfT. The latter are responsible for costs, and get told to control them by the Treasury, and thus pass that on the the TOCs. The whole system fails to incentivise the TOCs to actively increase revenue.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The idea of it is primarily to control when given trains go on sale including for walk-up fares, which Reservations Recommended doesn't do.
Indeed. Although again that's only really an issue because of insufficient administrative planning resources at operators at Network Rail.

The advance period bookings had a process for getting around this, which was that you couldn't make such a booking without leaving your contact details so you could be proactively offered a refund if your times changed after you'd already paid. There'd be no difficulty in developing a standard for that and codifying it into retail accreditation, it's just that it would take administration resources to do.

tspaul26

Established Member
To be honest Seatfrog should be selling SP on Avanti, not First. There's only a tiny amount of First which it appears will largely sell to walk up customers.
It does now.

Often for more than the onboard upgrade price…

Haywain

Veteran Member
Indeed. Although again that's only really an issue because of insufficient administrative planning resources at operators at Network Rail.
It's nothing to do with Network Rail. It's about how the reservation systems work.

OscarH

The advance period bookings had a process for getting around this, which was that you couldn't make such a booking without leaving your contact details so you could be proactively offered a refund if your times changed after you'd already paid. There'd be no difficulty in developing a standard for that and codifying it into retail accreditation, it's just that it would take administration resources to do.
I think the other issue is that even if you buy a walkup from a website, I don't know of any site that won't collect an email, and almost all by now should correctly notify of service changes from sourced the national system. And you can buy a walkup from a (non-journey planner) TVM without supplying contact details, unaffected by this. So all that this really does successfully is block people buying tickets at a journey planner TVM with no way to contact them about changes.

Killingworth

Established Member
It's all very well saying 1st class tickets can still be bought on Seatfrog but they run an auction system and that probably needs its own thread.

If I want to travel first I don't want to be messing around with an auction. I want certainty that my travelling companion/s and I can travel together in first. I don't want to have to wait to find if my bid was successful. It's bad enough being split up on busy trains but if we can't all get confirmed first tickets we'll all revert to standard - or not travel by train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's all very well saying 1st class tickets can still be bought on Seatfrog but they run an auction system and that probably needs its own thread.

If I want to travel first I don't want to be messing around with an auction. I want certainty that my travelling companion/s and I can travel together in first. I don't want to have to wait to find if my bid was successful. It's bad enough being split up on busy trains but if we can't all get confirmed first tickets we'll all revert to standard - or not travel by train.

Why not just travel Standard Premium and take along an M&S banquet?

Adam Williams

Established Member
Why not just travel Standard Premium and take along an M&S banquet?

I don't often travel in first, but if I do, I do it because I want the complimentary hot food and drink and the service that comes with that. Buying cold food from M&S before I board (on a journey that might well be hours long), to sit in std premium, doesn't really compare to that experience and is really only a pale imitation.

On my last trip up to Edinburgh the M&S banquet would've cost more than my ticket too!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't often travel in first, but if I do, I do it because I want the complimentary hot food and drink and the service that comes with that. Buying cold food from M&S before I board (on a journey that might well be hours long), to sit in std premium, doesn't really compare to that experience and is really only a pale imitation.

On my last trip up to Edinburgh the M&S banquet would've cost more than my ticket too!

Each to their own but I've never found the quality of on-board food in the UK (other than the GWR Pullman Restaurant I guess, which I've never used) to be anywhere near M&S. The quality is poor and the quantities are poor, and the fare uplifts (Seatfrog aside) massive.

Some guy

It does now.

Often for more than the onboard upgrade price…
That’s very true I hear TM’s saying to passengers it’s actually cheaper to get on board and pay for standard premium rather then use seatfrog as it can cost more

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's nothing to do with Network Rail. It's about how the reservation systems work.
No. It's only an issue because the timetable cannot be confirmed in time. None of this was ever an issue before 2018, because the plan was usually confirmed in time for reservation to open in time, except for journeys for more than twelve weeks in the future.

I think the other issue is that even if you buy a walkup from a website, I don't know of any site that won't collect an email, and almost all by now should correctly notify of service changes from sourced the national system. And you can buy a walkup from a (non-journey planner) TVM without supplying contact details, unaffected by this. So all that this really does successfully is block people buying tickets at a journey planner TVM with no way to contact them about changes.
The TOC sites I use never send me emails about changes, except LNER. If you book otherwise than online you'll never get a notification (except for Sleeper reservations perhaps). Was different with extended period bookings, you'd always get an email.

Wolfie

Established Member
So to paraphrase, “we keep a few tickets back to sell cheaply on Seatfrog rather than allowing passengers to pay the full price for them in advance”.

Have The Apprentice candidates been let loose in Avanti’s commercial department by any chance? Surely Seatfrog should only have any leftovers, and even then make sure some are held back for walk up sales.
Absolutely.

Adam Williams

Established Member
The TOC sites I use never send me emails about changes, except LNER.
Oscar is correct that it's an accreditation requirement if you do journey planning.

It sounds like there's widespread non-compliance. I'm not sure how long TIS suppliers have to implement this specific piece.

MKB

Avanti are presently, like LNER, running with "fake compulsory reservations", so it's a combination of this and the very small number of first class seats.
It's not just that Avanti have sold out all of their reservable seats; they are actively blocking first-class sales on some trains and have been for some time. I have seen many direct trains from Manchester or Liverpool to Euston where first-class is available for the complete trip (and also to Milton Keynes Central) but blocked for shorter journeys. This is presumably to frustrate split-ticketing and to keep seats held back for those who may yet book at the ludicrous fares for the end-to-end journey. It does of course run counter to any public-service principle of the railways (in all seat classes) being for all and not just those going to/from the capital.

Where an Avanti route has blocked first-class sales for partial journeys, if Avanti are the only first-class operator on that route and all trains on the day you want have blocked sales, it's impossible to buy tickets online. You have to go into a ticket office, which is one of the many reasons why these points of sale are still essential. You still can't get a seat reservation of course, unless you request one for the end-to-end journey using one of the seat reservation sites.

Trainbike46

Established Member
It's not just that Avanti have sold out all of their reservable seats; they are actively blocking first-class sales on some trains and have been for some time. I have seen many direct trains from Manchester or Liverpool to Euston where first-class is available for the complete trip (and also to Milton Keynes Central) but blocked for shorter journeys. This is presumably to frustrate split-ticketing and to keep seats held back for those who may yet book at the ludicrous fares for the end-to-end journey. It does of course run counter to any public-service principle of the railways (in all seat classes) being for all and not just those going to/from the capital.

Where an Avanti route has blocked first-class sales for partial journeys, if Avanti are the only first-class operator on that route and all trains on the day you want have blocked sales, it's impossible to buy tickets online. You have to go into a ticket office, which is one of the many reasons why these points of sale are still essential. You still can't get a seat reservation of course, unless you request one for the end-to-end journey using one of the seat reservation sites.
I'd add you would need to go to a non-avanti ticket office, as the avanti ticket offices can't or won't sell you tickets on their services that don't have reservations available

OscarH

The TOC sites I use never send me emails about changes, except LNER.
Poor, but I can't say I'm surprised. They've had long enough to make these changes (as I recall it's over 18 months since the first retailer went live on the system).

If you book otherwise than online you'll never get a notification (except for Sleeper reservations perhaps). Was different with extended period bookings, you'd always get an email.
This is true, but I don't think the number of passengers booking a walk-up ticket at a non-journey planner TVM or ticket office so far in advance it's outside the confirmed timetable is large enough to warrant the trade off between them not getting a disruption email, and the issues fake compulsory reservations cause. Certainly see no reason for Avanti/LNER to think that's necessary given other TOCs seem fine as is

Starmill

Veteran Member
This is true, but I don't think the number of passengers booking a walk-up ticket at a non-journey planner TVM or ticket office so far in advance it's outside the confirmed timetable is large enough to warrant the trade off between them not getting a disruption email, and the issues fake compulsory reservations cause. Certainly see no reason for Avanti/LNER to think that's necessary given other TOCs seem fine as is
Yes that's exactly what I was saying. None of this was considered a problem prior to 2018 and it wouldn't be a problem now either if it weren't for the other messes that have been created since then in planning. Avanti and LNER's new approach is useful because it has other commercial effects, such as strongly implying (falsely) that travel isn't permitted other than to book Premium or First, when standard has all reservations exhausted, as it would be on an aircraft if all economy seat availability were exhausted.

Mainline421

I'd add you would need to go to a non-avanti ticket office, as the avanti ticket offices can't or won't sell you tickets on their services that don't have reservations available
That would be extremely concerning if true, as they are required to sell any walk up tickets requested.

Trainbike46

Established Member
That would be extremely concerning if true, as they are required to sell any walk up tickets requested.
I have been refused anytime tickets from them (Euston ticket office) on the grounds of their TIS being unable to issue it as the only service it would be valid on (the 5:30 am departure for Glasgow the next day as it was) had "sold out". I went to a different london terminal and bought it without problem, without reservations on the avanti leg. When I travelled on the 5:30 am service (which was running) there was only 1 other passenger from euston (presumably the fact that it was made really hard to buy tickets didn't help loadings, Not that I would have expected the 5:30 am service to be busy in any case)

This wasn't the first case I have had issues at Euston ticket office, this instance did however make me decide to always plan to buy a ticket at another london terminal before heading to Euston - I've had too many bad experiences at that ticket office so now avoid it

In contrast, every other ticket office I've used has been really good in my experience

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I have been refused anytime tickets from them (Euston ticket office) on the grounds of their TIS being unable to issue it as the only service it would be valid on (the 5:30 am departure for Glasgow the next day as it was) had "sold out". I went to a different london terminal and bought it without problem, without reservations on the avanti leg. When I travelled on the 5:30 am service (which was running) there was only 1 other passenger from euston (presumably the fact that it was made really hard to buy tickets didn't help loadings, Not that I would have expected the 5:30 am service to be busy in any case)

This wasn't the first case I have had issues at Euston ticket office, this instance did however make me decide to always plan to buy a ticket at another london terminal before heading to Euston - I've had too many bad experiences at that ticket office so now avoid it

In contrast, every other ticket office I've used has been really good in my experience
I can't think of any logical reason why a Ticket Office colleague in this scenario should refuse to sell a ticket. The only reason I'd occasionally refuse is if I suspected the customer wanted to use the ticket on an invalid journey, which of course wouldn't be the case with an Anytime ticket.

I'd be very happy to sell the Anytime ticket without question, knowing presumably it might potentially make my ticket office takings look good.

I only ask pax when selling tickets in advance about timings to make sure the ticket I'm intending to sell them is valid. (unless they've asked me for a specific fare type)
Sometimes people get confused with when Off Peak tickets are valid, particularly for journeys between the North and London.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The only reason I'd occasionally refuse is if I suspected the customer wanted to use the ticket on an invalid journey, which of course wouldn't be the case with an Anytime ticket.
It's no business of a ticket office clerk how a customer intends to use a ticket, and no offence can be committed solely by buying it. You should simply sell the requested ticket and advise the customer of any applicable restrictions. If you feel it's relevant you can mark the ticket 'restrictions advised'.

Status
Not open for further replies.