• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - partial refund when standard premium not available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg1

Established Member
Yesterday I travelled from Sandwell and Dudley to Euston, I had booked an advance ticket on the 7.55 departure in Standard Premium Class.

This train was cancelled however so I hopped onto the next stopper to New Street and caught the preceeding service to Euston. This issue is this service was a double Voyager and therefore didn't have standard premium seating.

Does anyone know how I go about claiming a partial refund of the difference between the standard and standard premium fares? I can't see anything about it on the Avanti website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
And it should be worked out as the difference between the tier of Standard Premium Advance ticket you had, and the same tier of Standard Advance ticket I believe.

gg1

Established Member
Email [email protected] with your complaint.
And it should be worked out as the difference between the tier of Standard Premium Advance ticket you had, and the same tier of Standard Advance ticket I believe.
Thanks both, and yes I was planninig to request the difference between the fare I paid and what I would have paid if I'd booked a regular standard ticket, somehwere in the region of £15 IIRC.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The difference is always the price of the upgrade, no? That’s how it’s been priced every time I’ve seen SP advertised, even as an Advance. It’s the Standard Advance price plus the normal upgrade fee. On this route it’s £15.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yesterday I travelled from Sandwell and Dudley to Euston, I had booked an advance ticket on the 7.55 departure in Standard Premium Class.

This train was cancelled however so I hopped onto the next stopper to New Street and caught the preceeding service to Euston. This issue is this service was a double Voyager and therefore didn't have standard premium seating.

Does anyone know how I go about claiming a partial refund of the difference between the standard and standard premium fares? I can't see anything about it on the Avanti website.
Did you ask the Train Manager whether you could sit in First Class on the Voyager? IMHO it would have been very poor customer service to charge anything extra given the circumstances.

If not, or if they refused, I would simply claim back the cost of the upgrade, £15 for this journey.

gg1

Established Member
Did you ask the Train Manager whether you could sit in First Class on the Voyager? IMHO it would have been very poor customer service to charge anything extra given the circumstances.

If not, or if they refused, I would simply claim back the cost of the upgrade, £15 for this journey.

I did intend to ask the train manager but didn't see them.

Oddly on both my outward and return journeys yesterday there were no ticket checks either on the train or at Euston.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I did intend to ask the train manager but didn't see them.

Oddly on both my outward and return journeys yesterday there were no ticket checks either on the train or at Euston.
It's possible you were in the portion of the train with no Train Manager. I've seen this cause issues in the past, with people asking to upgrade to First but being told they can't sit there, because there's no TM in that unit.

mmh

Established Member
It's possible you were in the portion of the train with no Train Manager. I've seen this cause issues in the past, with people asking to upgrade to First but being told they can't sit there, because there's no TM in that unit.
I don't believe Avanti run any double sets without staff in both. Regardless, this is another example of where the passenger should be assertive rather than complain later. Sit in first class until you're told not to, and then question why you can't.

gg1

Established Member
I don't believe Avanti run any double sets without staff in both. Regardless, this is another example of where the passenger should be assertive rather than complain later. Sit in first class until you're told not to, and then question why you can't.
Who's complaining????

I enquired about the process for claiming a refund, that's all. I didn't sit in 1st class because I didn't have a 1st class ticket, but then maybe I just don't have the same arrogant sense of entitlement that you seem to. To do so is no different to making the decision to give yourself a free upgrade to First class if standard class is full.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Self-upgrading isn’t a right. The OP, as he points out, didn’t hold a first class ticket and had no entitlement to be there.

Trackman

Established Member

Saved me a post.
I've seen this happen on a follow on service, but of course you have to ask first.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I would avoid simply sitting in First Class if this ever happens. I would always politely ask the staff on the train what you should do. If their answer is that you should sit in Standard, then it makes it clearer that customer services should be arranging the refund. This is also why I recommend that people use help points or speak to the station staff if they're disrupted, because it makes it easier to claim compensation for any delay that resulted if you seek advice and follow it.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I don't believe Avanti run any double sets without staff in both.

They do sometimes have one Train Manager working the entire train- as long as catering staff are in the front set. The Train Manager would stay in the rear set.

Maybe an unofficial work around where 2x221 run instead of a Pendolino (depending on how many pax already hold First Class tickets etc.) would be to have one First Class carriage as "Premium" and the other First Class carriage as normal First Class.

Status
Not open for further replies.