• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Premium Economy Question

I have a First Group boxes pass which enable me to travel for free (with the correct date written in a box) on any TOC which First Group run/jointly run.
Am I allowed to sit in Avantis Premium Economy and pay the upgrade? Or is this for 'ticket holders' only?
I've contacted Avanti but they don't know.
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Have you asked the HR section in your company that issued it?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would be surprised if you couldn't, there's no published restriction on which Standard tickets can be upgraded that way (unlike say XC Weekend First). Why not just ask the guard before you board? It's them that will be responsible for collecting it. I don't think I ever saw dedicated RPIs on board an Avanti service.

Have you asked the HR section in your company that issued it?
I emailed a week ago but they haven't replied yet

I would be surprised if you couldn't, there's no published restriction on which Standard tickets can be upgraded that way (unlike say XC Weekend First). Why not just ask the guard before you board? It's them that will be responsible for collecting it. I don't think I ever saw dedicated RPIs on board an Avanti service.
I think this is what I will do, seek the train manger out and ask, the trip is tomorrow so will let you know.

Established Member
I've been gripped by staff wearing name badges that said "Revenue Protection" on them, so they do exist. Only once though! The journey was Preston-Glasgow for the record.

Danieldaniel

I have a First Group boxes pass which enable me to travel for free (with the correct date written in a box) on any TOC which First Group run/jointly run.
Am I allowed to sit in Avantis Premium Economy and pay the upgrade? Or is this for 'ticket holders' only?
Thank you
Just ask the train manager when you get on. 99% will say yes if it’s not a packed train.

If you just assume, you’re much more likely to be kicked down to cattle class

Established Member
Just ask the train manager when you get on. 99% will say yes if it’s not a packed train.

If you just assume, you’re much more likely to be kicked down to cattle class
Assume one can upgrade, or assume one can just take a seat?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thank you
Reading the current RST Staff Travel Restrictions document, it seems clear that you can sit down and pay the upgrade but you pay the public rate for the upgrade.

Trackman

Established Member
I've been gripped by staff wearing name badges that said "Revenue Protection" on them, so they do exist. Only once though! The journey was Preston-Glasgow for the record.
Yet to be underlined in my book.

So my colleague and I went and spoke with the TM, showed passes we had and asked about the upgrade, he had a look and said you will be better off in standard as it would be £106.30 each, off to standard we went! I must have read it wrong on the website as sure it says 'from £30', maybe that's just to Mikton Keynes.

island

Veteran Member
So my colleague and I went and spoke with the TM, showed passes we had and asked about the upgrade, he had a look and said you will be better off in standard as it would be £106.30 each, off to standard we went! I must have read it wrong on the website as sure it says 'from £30', maybe that's just to Mikton Keynes.
Are you sure you were in standard premium and not first? The standard to standard premium upgrade maximum is £35.

Yes, I even queried about the from £30, he took ages to look through the fares, maybe he was new and wasn't sure. As said I'm sure price quoted was to upgrade to proper first class.
In the end we had a table of 4 all the way to Manchester to ourselves.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If that was the upgrade to first he's got that wrong as well, as you'd have to pay the full public fare!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wasn't a Voyager worked service was it? There's no SP on those.

Otherwise the mind boggles as to why a guard didn't know the SP upgrade rates, they probably do at least one on every train.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Wasn't a Voyager worked service was it? There's no SP on those.

Otherwise the mind boggles as to why a guard didn't know the SP upgrade rates, they probably do at least one on every train.
Nice theory about it possibly being a Super Voyager, but Avanti only run Pendolinos to/from Manchester.
;)

island

Veteran Member
Yes, if you want to upgrade to SP you normally just take a seat there and pay the train manager.