• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

kajojek3232

Edinburgh

Euston

Liverpool

Manchester

Polmadie

Wolverhampton

CLOSING DATE - 06/03/2023 - will close early so get them applications in.

Will post individual links but at the moment the website keeps going in and out of consciousness making it almost impossible to use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorcerer

Are Avanti the ones that use the CBI as opposed to MMI? I dont want to put my current pass in jeopardy
They do use the CBI, and if you have a current DMI pass I think many will advise you to play it safe. The CBI is allegedly harder to pass, so there's a very real risk, but ultimately the decision is yours to make.

Sorcerer

I thought that it would take around 6 months to get to that stage considering how slow railway industry is but fair enough
I did think about that but the applications are sorted by the OPC so they'll have me on record of still being in the six month period. The October one took about two weeks before they started sending out the first questionnaires and assessments, and given the need for drivers, I would expect Avanti to take roughly the same time. If anyone believes otherwise even I'll be glad to take note because I was really gutted when I messed up and would love the chance to try again.

kajojek3232

I did think about that but the applications are sorted by the OPC so they'll have me on record of still being in the six month period. The October one took about two weeks before they started sending out the first questionnaires and assessments, and given the need for drivers, I would expect Avanti to take roughly the same time. If anyone believes otherwise even I'll be glad to take note because I was really gutted when I messed up and would love the chance to try again.

I say do it. The worst that’ll happen is they’ll say no.

Tom999333

Same boat, I’m going to leave it. Refreshing the batteries as the long process does drain you. I plan to apply for a toc which uses MMI as interviews generally aren’t my strong point. So CBI being a high standard to pass I rather not have two strikes against me.

nolypops83

Well that was a faff, but got one in for Manchester. My first go so fully prepared to be rejected. :lol: Seriously though, you only had 950 characters to say why you wanted to work for them. I had to really cut mine down from my original draft.

pmc88

Well that was a faff, but got one in for Manchester. My first go so fully prepared to be rejected. :lol: Seriously though, you only had 950 characters to say why you wanted to work for them. I had to really cut mine down from my original draft.
Haha same, trying to get my point across and proof read while not being too slow and with the website faulting was stressful.

Anyone know whats the difference between cbi and mmi??

I also heard they make you stay local in a hotel by crewe for training, can anyone confirm? As id prefer to just do the 40 min drive home

Sorcerer

I also heard they make you stay local in a hotel by crewe for training, can anyone confirm? As id prefer to just do the 40 min drive home
I believe the training either takes place in Crewe or Polmadie. The distance from the depot you've applied for does not determine where, though I believe trainees/apprentices will be prioritised for Crewe placements. In either case, Avanti will sort out the logistics for you since you're an employee, so all they need from you is to start getting used to commuting or being away from home for a decent period of time. I think, given the scarcity of the job opportunity combined with the good job security and high salary, it's not really much to ask in the grand scheme of things.

neilkil78

Applied for Liverpool & Manchester... Not the greatest experience having to click refresh for every page, and I agree that 950 characters made things interesting!

Hopefully the rejections will be swift!!

pmc88

I believe the training either takes place in Crewe or Polmadie. The distance from the depot you've applied for does not determine where, though I believe trainees/apprentices will be prioritised for Crewe placements. In either case, Avanti will sort out the logistics for you since you're an employee, so all they need from you is to start getting used to commuting or being away from home for a decent period of time. I think, given the scarcity of the job opportunity combined with the good job security and high salary, it's not really much to ask in the grand scheme of things.
Very true, I've already made my missus aware to expect it if successful.

I only live 40mins to crewe and wouldn't mind doing the drive so she atleast has some support for a few weeks

Id probably get an earful while she minds the kids but would be worth it long term.

Fingers crossed anyway

TootTootToot

Did anyone receive an automated acknowledgment by email? I’ve received nothing since clicking submit. Although it does show up within “Application History” - just thought a bounce back email would have been received