• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti WC down the pan again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprunt

Established Member
I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but how can a passenger on a platform be struck by a train?

Krokodil

Established Member
I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, but how can a passenger on a platform be struck by a train?
Presumably someone who got too close to the edge.

Do I remember a thread a few months back complaining that station staff at Crewe were shouting at people to stand back?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Surprisingly easily if they're the wrong side of the yellow line and unwittingly have items/body parts overhanging the edge!

Typhoon

Established Member
Surprisingly easily if they're the wrong side of the yellow line and unwittingly have items/body parts overhanging the edge!
I would have thought all you would need is a non-stop train going through at speed, someone with luggage (such as wheeled luggage) too near the edge, turbulence blows the luggage over, passenger bends down to retrieve it at the wrong moment.
Plenty of other scenarios, such as late arriving passenger wants to be near the front finds it easier to hurry down the rails-side of the yellow line because everyone else is standing behind it. Even when someone is trying to move down a fairly crowded narrow platform.
I'm an irregular traveller but I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often from what I've seen.

Tenuous connection - there is a platform based staff member with a microphone at Clapham Junction who will brook no encroachment beyond the yellow line. She is absolutely brilliant, and very entertaining.

jfollows

Established Member
Today's incident wasn't a non-stop train, which in any case would not normally go through a platform road at Crewe, it was arriving (I think) in platform 6.
Crewe platform staff have been a lot more "shouty" of late, which - however annoying - would appear to be justified based on what happened today. Last time I was shouted at I was on platform 6.

Last edited:

Established Member
Today's incident wasn't a non-stop train, which in any case would not normally go through a platform road at Crewe, it was arriving (I think) in platform 6.
Crewe platform staff have been a lot more "shouty" of late, which - however annoying - would appear to be justified based on what happened today. Last time I was shouted at I was on platform 6.
They shout too much at that station and in an aggressive manner when there really is no need for it.
If you so much as put a big toe on the line walking down platform you get them shouting via there roving microphone.

I’ve been shouted at for walking from platform 9 off an arriving trains down towards stairs on platform 6, staff stood in the way where platform narrows, so walked over line to get past them, then they have the nerve to shout.

Anyway today’s incident, if correct, was someone attempting to retrieve something from the track, and sadly got a glancing blow by the train.

However, I think we are deviating away from what this post is about.

GordonT

I would have thought all you would need is a non-stop train going through at speed, someone with luggage (such as wheeled luggage) too near the edge, turbulence blows the luggage over, passenger bends down to retrieve it at the wrong moment.
Plenty of other scenarios, such as late arriving passenger wants to be near the front finds it easier to hurry down the rails-side of the yellow line because everyone else is standing behind it. Even when someone is trying to move down a fairly crowded narrow platform.
I'm an irregular traveller but I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often from what I've seen.

Tenuous connection - there is a platform based staff member with a microphone at Clapham Junction who will brook no encroachment beyond the yellow line. She is absolutely brilliant, and very entertaining.
Well done for "will brook no encroachment" a very literary turn of phrase!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Presumably someone who got too close to the edge.

Do I remember a thread a few months back complaining that station staff at Crewe were shouting at people to stand back?
You remember correctly.

Given it was platform 6, and the train was only going 20MPH, what the person may have wanted to happen unfortunately did not. Caused some damage but thankfully non-fatal.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Clearly the shouting isn't working, so its entirely pointless

Dr Hoo

Established Member
This endless series of random cases of disruption and incidents on the WCML over the past seven weeks, not even all involving Avanti WC, doesn't seem to have a point.

Might it be better off in the Trip Planning & Reports Forum (or even ended)?

Peter0124

Established Member
This endless series of random cases of disruption and incidents on the WCML over the past seven weeks, not even all involving Avanti WC, doesn't seem to have a point.

Don't see anything wrong with keeping this thread up

JamieL

Surely the point is the WCML is often a miserable experience for its users?

D6130

Established Member
I'll be making my first Avanti journey of the year tomorrow - hopefully on the 13 49 Carlisle-Glasgow Central - so I'll report back.

JamieL

Yes, and, in other news, bears…

(Don’t worry. I’ll just ignore it from now on.)
Should it just be accepted then, without complaint, when a service is poor? Railways can be run well. There are examples in the UK where the passenger experience is better than on Avanti. So why should Avanti's performance be tolerated if or when it is below standard?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Should it just be accepted then, without complaint, when a service is poor? Railways can be run well. There are examples in the UK where the passenger experience is better than on Avanti. So why should Avanti's performance be tolerated if or when it is below standard?
Don't forget, when it comes to running railways in Britain, the passenger is (if a consideration at all) the very last consideration. Many rail staff have this attitude so engrained in them they find it hard to believe there is another way.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Don't forget, when it comes to running railways in Britain, the passenger is (if a consideration at all) the very last consideration. Many rail staff have this attitude so engrained in them they find it hard to believe there is another way.

Really? That's a sweeping generalisation that doesn't apply to the vast majority of rail staff I know.

Krokodil

Established Member
Nor me.

The government on the other hand - they really couldn't give a stuff about passengers

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Really? That's a sweeping generalisation that doesn't apply to the vast majority of rail staff I know.
There are many posts in these forums about cancelled trains, stranded passengers, no ticket acceptance, charged incorrect fares, not allowed travel with valid tickets, staff making rules up, passengers not being allowed travel, denied being able to leave a station, denied a break of journey.

Typhoon

Established Member
Unfortunately, few people notice those that get on with their job efficiently without (noticeably) doing anything exceptional (often because the job does not give them the opportunity). We do notice those that don't.
I have mentioned this before but I have contacted different TOCs about staff members on a number of occasions, the only time I had a response was when I complained!

Established Member
There are many posts in these forums about cancelled trains, stranded passengers, no ticket acceptance, charged incorrect fares, not allowed travel with valid tickets, staff making rules up, passengers not being allowed travel, denied being able to leave a station, denied a break of journey.

Which aren’t all staff related issues by any means and, when they do occur, only happen to a small minority of passengers, and involve a small minority of staff. I’m not sure what the point of your earlier sweeping generalisation was, other than to provoke.

Unfortunately, few people notice those that get on with their job efficiently without (noticeably) doing anything exceptional (often because the job does not give them the opportunity). We do notice those that don't.
I have mentioned this before but I have contacted different TOCs about staff members on a number of occasions, the only time I had a response was when I complained!

That’s disappointing. I have contacted TfL to complain and compliment staff several times over the last few years, and have received acknowledgements of both. Certainly agree with your first sentence, and for that reason I personally try to praise good service at least as often as I complain about poor. It’s pretty rare for an encounter with staff to fit into either category, to be honest.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
As a sweeping generalisation, guards are normally the best customer focused staff, and rarely do you get a bad one. Most are perfectly acceptable and some are truly excellent.
Ticket barrier staff are the most likely to make rules up and be the most rude and wrong.
Ticket office staff are either excellent and excel in their job, or are diabolical and really couldn't care less, there seems to be no middle ground.
Control staff never seem to take passengers into account and front-line staff just do as they are told and don't question control. On the rare occasions they do, control will stand by the least customer-friendly option. Which is probably why staff so rarely bother.
Defenders will say "control see the bigger picture" but I'd say they don't. They see their picture and really don't care about anyone else's picture. How de-training a load of passengers and leaving them stranded at an unmanned station is ever considered best is never explained.
Once they tried that, but the passengers simply refused to move off the train. Control actually said they'd call the police, quite how many police they thought it would take to get 600 people off a train or the extra delay it would cause, I don't know. But, eventually, common sense prevailed and the train continued on its way as planned and no disaster befell. But still control don't learn and try to cancel at the drop of a hat.

Established Member
As a sweeping generalisation, guards are normally the best customer focused staff, and rarely do you get a bad one. Most are perfectly acceptable and some are truly excellent.
Ticket barrier staff are the most likely to make rules up and be the most rude and wrong.
Ticket office staff are either excellent and excel in their job, or are diabolical and really couldn't care less, there seems to be no middle ground.
Control staff never seem to take passengers into account and front-line staff just do as they are told and don't question control. On the rare occasions they do, control will stand by the least customer-friendly option. Which is probably why staff so rarely bother.
Defenders will say "control see the bigger picture" but I'd say they don't. They see their picture and really don't care about anyone else's picture. How de-training a load of passengers and leaving them stranded at an unmanned station is ever considered best is never explained.
Once they tried that, but the passengers simply refused to move off the train. Control actually said they'd call the police, quite how many police they thought it would take to get 600 people off a train or the extra delay it would cause, I don't know. But, eventually, common sense prevailed and the train continued on its way as planned and no disaster befell. But still control don't learn and try to cancel at the drop of a hat.
What an absolutely ridiculous post!!
As soon as you started to slag all controllers off in the country, your post became, to me, nothing but a personal moan from yourself based on one attempted detraining incident.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
What an absolutely ridiculous post!!
As soon as you started to slag all controllers off in the country, your post became, to me, nothing but a personal moan from yourself based on one attempted detraining incident.
And this single post sums up my point better than I ever could.

Status
Not open for further replies.