• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Rolling Stock Updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AirRail

Seen a render of the new interior, not sure if public.

First Class keeps the same seat frame, but the cushions look bigger. They are now in dark blue leather too. Head cushion is white with AWC logo on it, the cushion is very large.

Second class has new seats, first thing I noticed was an armrest at the window seat - let's hope that is present on the final product. Can't recognise the seat design, but it looks okay. Headrest has large wings, armrests seem VERY small though. Material appears to be the same as what the 800 seats where delivered in, a shame. Dark blue overall, with a light grey headest area, and an orange line of stitching along the bottom of this.

Overall looks quite dull and soulless, but smart and understated. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

A shame that it won't be consistent to the Voyager refresh colour palette used in standard. That interior seems well liked, looks modern and would have kept a brand consistency (at least for the couple years they have left in the fleet).

Brissle Girl

Established Member
A shame that it won't be consistent to the Voyager refresh colour palette used in standard. That interior seems well liked, looks modern and would have kept a brand consistency (at least for the couple years they have left in the fleet).
Given the Voyagers will likely be going to a new operator in a couple of years it’s possible that any decisions about the refurbishment were taken with more of a view to the longer term. So for example I would expect the owners to want a colour palette that will be acceptable to any future users.

matt154

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question has been answered before, but does anyone know the current whereabouts of 221142 & 221143?
Thanks in advance.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if this question has been answered before, but does anyone know the current whereabouts of 221142 & 221143?
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum!
221143 is currently out of service and I believe was taken to Central Rivers depot to be evaluated, as it was involved in an accident at Polmadie that severely damaged a carriage.
I believe 221142 was also out of use for flood damage repairs.

Last edited:

matt154

Welcome to the forum!
221143 is currently out of service and I believe was taken to Central Rivers depot to be evaluated, as it was involved in an accident at Polmadie that severely damaged a carriage.
I believe 221142 was also out of use for flood damage repairs.
Thank you for the quick reply and info, much appreciated.

The_Train

Established Member
On top of the fantastic info supplied by @aleandrail I also have 221108 and 221117 has being in Central Rivers for repaint (well vinyls) but this is quite old data now so I suspect both have come out with their shiny new livery - can anyone confirm please?

DBS92042

Established Member
On top of the fantastic info supplied by @aleandrail I also have 221108 and 221117 has being in Central Rivers for repaint (well vinyls) but this is quite old data now so I suspect both have come out with their shiny new livery - can anyone confirm please?
Both are now re-vinyled and back out in service

aleandrail

221101 is having the vinyls applied this week.
221142 is slated for return to traffic early July.
221125 is due out soon.

David Bullock

Seen a render of the new interior, not sure if public.

First Class keeps the same seat frame, but the cushions look bigger. They are now in dark blue leather too. Head cushion is white with AWC logo on it, the cushion is very large.

Second class has new seats, first thing I noticed was an armrest at the window seat - let's hope that is present on the final product. Can't recognise the seat design, but it looks okay. Headrest has large wings, armrests seem VERY small though. Material appears to be the same as what the 800 seats where delivered in, a shame. Dark blue overall, with a light grey headest area, and an orange line of stitching along the bottom of this.

Overall looks quite dull and soulless, but smart and understated. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.
Standard class sounds very similar to the interiors of the 803s. (The linked picture taken from the 803 thread)

superjohn

Travelled on 390045 earlier this evening. Air conditioning failed in coaches J&K. To lose one might be seen as unlucky but to lose two…

I do like those poppadoms…

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Travelled on 390045 earlier this evening. Air conditioning failed in coaches J&K. To lose one might be seen as unlucky but to lose two…

I do like those poppadoms…

At least you could have moved to coach H, he says jokingly, well aware it's now been changed to "Standard Premium." First Class pax now seemingly paying alot for a crowded carriage and lack of air con.

superjohn

The TM “converted“ half of H to full first class. I stayed put in J as it wasn’t too bad and the outside temperature was falling (1755 from Manchester). Others moved and I got the impression there was ample space for all in H though.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
At least you could have moved to coach H, he says jokingly, well aware it's now been changed to "Standard Premium." First Class pax now seemingly paying alot for a crowded carriage and lack of air con.
I sat in Standard premium the other day, it's very nice! Just like first class! ;) But obviously cheaper. I reckon they did it to get bums on those "first class" seats with a more affordable offering, as first class is usually pretty empty as it's rather pricey usually.

Triumph

Just a quick note regarding the list on page 1, 390009 is in the full livery, not 008
390009 is not in the full livery.
390008 has been in the new livery since 13th March 2021.

The following amendments need to be made to list on page 1

All these are now in full livery:
390153 10th 11 car
390148 11th 11 car
390103 12th 11 car
390112 13th 11 car (Not 11th as shown)
390134 14th 11 car
390125 15th 11 car

390135 only carries a name on the East side of it.

Last edited:

221101 Voyager

Established Member
390009 is not in the full livery.
390008 has been in the new livery since 13th March 2021.

The following amendments need to be made to list on page 1

All these are now in full livery:
390153 10th 11 car
390148 11th 11 car
390103 12th 11 car
390112 13th 11 car (Not 11th as shown)
390134 14th 11 car
390125 15th 11 car

390135 only carries a name on the East side of it.
Thanks for those updates and corrections. :D ;)

Do you know if 221143 is vinyled yet?

greatvoyager

Established Member
Thanks for those updates and corrections. :D ;)

Do you know if 221143 is vinyled yet?
2 coaches from 221143 are currently at Central Rivers following the Polmadie derailment. A picture from a Facebook group shows the damaged coach is dented and without its lower skirting and engine.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
If you ever fly domestic in the US, First Class is always always full, because of space-available upgrades being used to coddle frequent flyers and make space in economy. Products like Main Cabin Extra (on AA) with economy service and a bit of extra legroom are always pretty well used by people paying supplements or entitled by their frequent flyer status. I'm pretty sure Standard Premium (and a full First Class) is here to stay.

Last edited:

greatvoyager

Established Member
This may be of interest as an update in general for Avanti repaints and refurbishment.
221143 apparently due back in service in September.

Avanti West Coast has sent RailAdvent an update on the rebranding of their Pendolino and Voyager fleet of trains.

Following a refurbishment programme, the rebranding of the Voyager fleet is progressing well, with all but one, 221143, now sporting the Avanti West Coast branding.

221143 is due back in service in September and will sport the new branding.