• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana D

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not beating myself up to much, just frustrated that I didn't sit the VSE test at the right time in the right conditions...which is partly my fault. To concentrate to that level, I need to make sure that the dog is somewhere else, that my neighbour who is renovating his house doesn't start drilling holes into the wall next door and that I'm sat at a proper desk in a silent room. Very difficult to organise for me during this lockdown but hopefully, I'll make a better go of it next time.

But as I said earlier in the thread, I'm 4 months into my new job as a guard and loving it so far. My TOC is known for encouraging guards to progress to drivers. So for now, get to grips with my current role, keep on enjoying it, try to move up those links so I can do some longer distance work...and see what happens!
That is amazing, train guards always have priority , I know because I’m a train dispatcher, and within my company guards always been prioritised for the trainee train driver job. You will have an amazing insight of the train driver role, because you’re working close with them, you identify and rectify problems as well as customer service relations. Good luck and I’m sure you will do amazing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ana D

In case it is of assistance, I contacted OPC to see if everyone immaterial of when they received their invite to the VSE and M7 assessments would have the same cut off time for completing them. It appears we do. I received my invite this afternoon 4 May but still have to have completed the next stage by 1700 on 7 May. Best of luck.
That’s not fair, at all. Some people got a week and now some only 3 days. That’s disgusting.

Ken Hughes

I guess the 7 May deadline for all is what it is. On one side you could say I should have applied sooner. And on the other I may only have a few days to get up to speed to give it my best shot, but i have had the benefit of everyone's experiences that have been posted. The bottom line is it is time to put my head down and prepare.

Thanks Ana for your reference to the online practice tool you referenced. But it is quite a bit different to the practice material. I wonder which it will be like.

Ana D

I guess the 7 May deadline for all is what it is. On one side you could say I should have applied sooner. And on the other I may only have a few days to get up to speed to give it my best shot, but i have had the benefit of everyone's experiences that have been posted. The bottom line is it is time to put my head down and prepare.

Thanks Ana for your reference to the online practice tool you referenced. But it is quite a bit different to the practice material. I wonder which it will be like.
So instead of those weird symbols you get like triangle, squares , L shapes and circles. But the train track is very similar. It is a very good tool to get yourself trained on it. Even for the future. I just discovered this and I think is amazing. This is more difficult than the actual test.

Ken Hughes

Thanks Ana. I will work at it. The track and symbols test feels a bit like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. Do the symbols light up in the same way?

Best of luck to all those choosing their moment to press the good to test button.

Thanks mate. I’m waiting to start with TFL at the minute as ‘CSA’ so can hopefully work my way up to Driver eventually. But I am slightly confused as I only missed 6 errors I believe in total across all 3 VSE exercises.

Hmmm, I think I scored similar to you, only completed mine just after 4pm. One error through first two vse tests then 4 or 5 in phase 3. In hindsight I should've given more priority to the track part of the test. I'm saying no more out of respect to those who have already done it, and not to give too much of an advantage to those yet to take theirs.

A new level of respect, to all who drive trains for a living, after sampling what you guys had to pass to get to where you are

Ana D

Thanks Ana. I will work at it. The track and symbols test feels a bit like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. Do the symbols light up in the same way?

Best of luck to all those choosing their moment to press the good to test button.
[/ Message me.

Ana D

Hmmm, I think I scored similar to you, only completed mine just after 4pm. One error through first two vse tests then 4 or 5 in phase 3. In hindsight I should've given more priority to the track part of the test. I'm saying no more out of respect to those who have already done it, and not to give too much of an advantage to those yet to take theirs.

A new level of respect, to all who drive trains for a living, after sampling what you guys had to pass to get to where you are
No matter how much you help someone, nobody can take your luck, your great work or achievement. Nothing wrong with helping. If they do better than you because you helped, than that’s fine.

Ana D

I can’t reply to you , you need to change your settings.

Charliew24

I originally sat and passed all my psychometric tests at another TOC before applying for Virgin/Avanti. I received an email from the OPC and it turned out all of my scores reached their benchmark and I only needed to sit the dots test again (something got to do with accessing my previous results). The same email also mentioned that my MMI would not transfer across as a 'pass' for the CBI. When I politely asked the question why, they replied back and basically said there are subtle difference between the MMI and CBI hence why my MMI pass couldn't be used. As I mentioned I couldn't tell a massive difference after having sat and passed both (apart from when you get given the questions in paper format and have to briefly write your answers).
The DMI was separate to all this.

Hi mate,

i have passed the tests for London overground (arriva) at enhanced standard apart from the dot test which i passed at national standard. How did you go about telling them?

Charliew24

Advice please.

I filled out the application and done the first set of questions for OPC which i have passed i got the email today, however, for some reason my actual application didn't submit and its telling me application was cancelled when I log in as they closed the job posting early.

I am a little confused as to what to do. OPC are telling me to do the next part of the question air and on the Avanti West coast page its saying my application has been cancelled?

Charliew24

You couldn't. The application page was broken and no applications were being accepted through it, only through the OPC test that was linked in the job posting. If you applied to both then you are safe, but if you only tried applying via the posting but not the OPC then your application has not been accepted.

Oh thats good news, i literally just posted a question regarding this. if you could have a look and reply on it it would be appreciated.

Erowe

Advice please.

I filled out the application and done the first set of questions for OPC which i have passed i got the email today, however, for some reason my actual application didn't submit and its telling me application was cancelled when I log in as they closed the job posting early.

I am a little confused as to what to do. OPC are telling me to do the next part of the question air and on the Avanti West coast page its saying my application has been cancelled?

You only had to do the questionnaire. The advert said not to submit an application through the portal which is why that part has been cancelled

Dan61

Just completed my tests tonight. The sje for me was the hardest as how answers can be option 1 easily so it's hard to know how you did. Fingers croasws

Erowe

Those that have completed the m7sjt and vse who got the rejection email did you get the we are scoring your tests and will notify within 10 days email first or did you just get rejection email?

FManc

Hi mate,

i have passed the tests for London overground (arriva) at enhanced standard apart from the dot test which i passed at national standard. How did you go about telling them?

I imagine when they email people to invite them to sit the tests they'll ask you to let them know if you've already sat them so they can check.
Just bare in mind that different TOCs have different 'enhanced' standards so you won't know until the OPC check your results.

Octopus28

Those that have completed the m7sjt and vse who got the rejection email did you get the we are scoring your tests and will notify within 10 days email first or did you just get rejection email?
I was thinking this as well :s

FManc

That is amazing, train guards always have priority , I know because I’m a train dispatcher, and within my company guards always been prioritised for the trainee train driver job. You will have an amazing insight of the train driver role, because you’re working close with them, you identify and rectify problems as well as customer service relations. Good luck and I’m sure you will do amazing.

With all due respect guards don't always have priority. They might do at your TOC but certainly not at Avanti. Of course they have many transferable skills which will aid them, but at the end of the day its an equal playing field when it comes to sitting the OPC tests.

ArchangelA

Craigk8163

Is this anything like the REAL test on the OPC VSE test? I've not attempted the real test as I have my three days to mull it over and practice, but the practice material looks nothing like the test in the product you've quoted? ;)
It’s based on the same theory of VSE. This group is helpful on a general basis however I feel having done the tests I’m not sure I’d be as positive as the person advertising it as amazing.

PChapM

In case it is of assistance, I contacted OPC to see if everyone immaterial of when they received their invite to the VSE and M7 assessments would have the same cut off time for completing them. It appears we do. I received my invite this afternoon 4 May but still have to have completed the next stage by 1700 on 7 May. Best of luck.

Thanks for the info. Will get mine going tomorrow. Good luck everyone

Charliew24

I imagine when they email people to invite them to sit the tests they'll ask you to let them know if you've already sat them so they can check.
Just bare in mind that different TOCs have different 'enhanced' standards so you won't know until the OPC check your results.

thanks mate

puffpuffgive

It’s based on the same theory of VSE. This group is helpful on a general basis however I feel having done the tests I’m not sure I’d be as positive as the person advertising it as amazing.

I bought this and practiced with it, I got to getting 100% right on all three tests with it. However, the VSE I did for OPC was different in a couple of important ways. First, there is no pattern to the layout of the symbols on the avanti test, which makes it harder. The button locations are reversed (left for error right for no error on avanti and vice versa on the practice). This really screwed me because it meant I made several mistakes because of muscle memory when having to act very quickly. It might help but it might also make you make silly mistakes.

Good luck to everyone still in, I got the email setting me free.

HLE

Established Member
With all due respect guards don't always have priority. They might do at your TOC but certainly not at Avanti. Of course they have many transferable skills which will aid them, but at the end of the day its an equal playing field when it comes to sitting the OPC tests.

I'm afraid Ana doesn't speak for a TOC up here either.

They don't have priority, that I know for a fact. Pretty much the opposite, due to cost and other reasons. They've actively turned down their own 'conductors' in favour of externals - no vendetta mind despite what the bitter say.
Most trainees are off the street. All hangs on the managers CBI interview, after all OPC tests/MMI are passed, which determines who gets in and who doesn't.

Certainly the last couple of years, the intakes of conductors wouldn't have a hope in hell. The bitter rejected often leave claim they've been stitched up.

Don't become a guard if you want it only to be a driver. It will often take you longer.

I'm afraid Ana doesn't speak for a TOC up here either.

They don't have priority, that I know for a fact. Pretty much the opposite, due to cost and other reasons. They've actively turned down their own 'conductors' in favour of externals - no vendetta mind despite what the bitter say.
Most trainees are off the street. All hangs on the managers CBI interview, after all OPC tests/MMI are passed, which determines who gets in and who doesn't.

Certainly the last couple of years, the intakes of conductors wouldn't have a hope in hell. The bitter rejected often leave claim they've been stitched up.

Don't become a guard if you want it only to be a driver. It will often take you longer.

At my TOC, Guards are actively encouraged to try for driving. Around two thirds of drivers since the last franchise change are ex Guards. Yet, during the previous franchise, they were not keen on promoting Guards at all. So it really does depend on who you work for. Plenty of externals have come in and been successful too as well.

Anyway, lets not have this debate again here, we'll get a polite reminder not to in a bit if we carry on!

Now I'm out of the running for this particular job, I'll be wanting to follow everyone else's progress on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.