• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AVI playback software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
Can anyone recommend me a downloadable software to view AVI format files.

I've purchased a dash cam which saves in .AVI but my laptop doesn't have anything that supports playback.

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
AVI is a video format.

As suggested above, VLC should play, DIVX should as well.

GB

Established Member
Can anyone recommend me a downloadable software to view AVI format files.

I've purchased a dash cam which saves in .AVI but my laptop doesn't have anything that supports playback.

thanks

If your on a Windows machine then the default players should play AVI files. However it sounds like you do not have the correct codecs installed.

Either download VLC as above or download the K-lite codec pack....or preferably both.

asylumxl

Established Member
AVI is actually a container format, chances are you probably don't have the correct codec. An AVI could be encoded using anything ranging from MPEG-2 to Xvid.

It's possible to download these online, but as others have suggested it's far easier to just use something like VLC which have the codec support built in.

Edit: GB got there first. Sound advice!

D365

Veteran Member
VLC is pretty much the go-to these days. Used to be some compatibility issues but it's really gotten good.

SS4

Established Member
VLC is pretty much the go-to these days. Used to be some compatibility issues but it's really gotten good.

I find mpv (a fork of Mplayer2) to be better on desktop because of a lighter GUI and better keyboard shortcuts ootb

VLC is excellent on Android though

Status
Not open for further replies.