• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation videos / YouTubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
We don't seem to have an equivalent thread in here to match the railways ones, despite this being a heavily used part of the forum.

May I present to you this clip of a short helicopter ride around Portsmouth back in 2007?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
Excellent idea for a thread, @Peter Mugridge. :)

For classic airliner videos in the US, RyanBomar is one of the best on YT.

Embedded video is one of his (actually shot by Craig Pilkington) I keep finding myself coming back to: depicting ex-Trans-World Airlines Convair CV-880 N807AJ (formerly registered N810TW) departing Mojave after 11 years of storage on a trans-continental ferry trip to Atlantic City, New Jersey for use as a fire trainer at the latter on 18th September 1991; TWA had retired the airliner in August 1973 after over 12 years of service (entered service in March 1961). Skip to 5:36 for the takeoff roll, subsequent flyover and general reminder of how smoky/loud the early jetliners were!

nlogax

Established Member
Beautiful. Those smokey and noisy airliners of old are a treat. As a kid I used to live close to Heathrow in the 80s and there was a never ending supply of 11-1s, Tridents, 707s and others to keep us awake during school days. Not to mention Concorde a couple of times a day.

As an aside there are few better places to watch vintage aircraft than Mojave and that sparse stretch of land east towards Edwards AFB. The Mojave boneyard is still high on my list of places to visit.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thank you for the comment, @Strathclyder - I do have a few more, which I'll add to the thread over time so that I don't turn it into a big advert for myself, but this one should surely be next:

Strathclyder

Established Member
Beautiful. Those smokey and noisy airliners of old are a treat. As a kid I used to live close to Heathrow in the 80s and there was a never ending supply of 11-1s, Tridents, 707s and others to keep us awake during school days. Not to mention Concorde a couple of times a day.
If I had a TARDIS (that should be my catchphrase at this point lol), this is one of the eras I'd go back to, as much for Concorde as for the 707s/One-Elevens/Tridents/classic 747s/TriStars etc.

Thank you for the comment, @Strathclyder - I do have a few more, which I'll add to the thread over time so that I don't turn it into a big advert for myself, but this one should surely be next:

An excellent choice. Shall defo be giving that one a watch. :)

joncombe

How about an A319 landing at Paro airport, Bhutan. It has quite an interesting approach!

Cloud Strife

Established Member
An oldie, but a goodie: a compilation of landings at the old Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong.

I am always in awe at how they managed to land there. This one is a particular delight: a 747 landing with a strong crosswind!

Strathclyder

Established Member
An oldie, but a goodie: a compilation of landings at the old Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong.

One of the things I was born too late to witness, let alone experience. Few airports, open or closed, have managed to attain the same legendary status that Kai Tak has.

I am always in awe at how they managed to land there. This one is a particular delight: a 747 landing with a strong crosswind!

I strongly suspect the general feeling of those onboard that 747 was distinctly different to those watching from the ground! But yes, Kai Tak's Runway 13 approach over Lantau Island, Victoria Harbour, Kowloon City & past Checkerboard Hill pushed even the best pilots out there to their limit and beyond, even with the specialized training and a modified IG system to back them up. The airport's Wikipedia article goes into a lot more detail than I ever could on it.

This low/heavy takeoff of a Ilyushin Il-86 from Montenegro's Tivat Airport is one I've found myself repeatedly watching. While a graphic illustration of the Il-86's underpowered Kuznetsov NK-86 powerplants, it is nonetheless spectacular.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Here's another one of mine from when I was experimenting with the camcorder to see what it could do:

Cloud Strife

Established Member
One of the things I was born too late to witness, let alone experience. Few airports, open or closed, have managed to attain the same legendary status that Kai Tak has.

I strongly suspect the general feeling of those onboard that 747 was distinctly different to those watching from the ground! But yes, Kai Tak's Runway 13 approach over Lantau Island, Victoria Harbour, Kowloon City & past Checkerboard Hill pushed even the best pilots out there to their limit and beyond, even with the specialized training and a modified IG system to back them up. The airport's Wikipedia article goes into a lot more detail than I ever could on it.

My father-in-law was fortunate enough to experience Runway 13 just before Kai Tak closed, and he was fortunate enough to have a window seat. I'm not jealous anymore, though it's taken nearly 15 years!

This low/heavy takeoff of a Ilyushin Il-86 from Montenegro's Tivat Airport is one I've found myself repeatedly watching. While a graphic illustration of the Il-86's underpowered Kuznetsov NK-86 powerplants, it is nonetheless spectacular.

That was brilliant, thank you for sharing! I know Tivat well, and it surprises me that it was even safe to use the IL-86 there given how underpowered it is and the overall difficulty of flying there. One of my favourite approaches in aviation is runway 14 there, although I prefer runway 18 in Podgorica for the fact that it feels like you skim over the mountains when coming from the north.

For the uninitiated: runway 14 at Tivat.

Strathclyder

Established Member
My father-in-law was fortunate enough to experience Runway 13 just before Kai Tak closed, and he was fortunate enough to have a window seat. I'm not jealous anymore, though it's taken nearly 15 years!
I don't think I'd ever get over the jealousy if I were in your place tbh lol

That was brilliant, thank you for sharing! I know Tivat well, and it surprises me that it was even safe to use the IL-86 there given how underpowered it is and the overall difficulty of flying there. One of my favourite approaches in aviation is runway 14 there, although I prefer runway 18 in Podgorica for the fact that it feels like you skim over the mountains when coming from the north.
Yeah, somewhat surprising the IL-86 was even allowed to operate out of Tivat given it's relative lack of power and the overall difficulties of flying in and out of there. The IL-86 was/is The Era of Stagnation in airliner form despite some noteworthy features, which serve to make it all the more fascinating in my eyes.

For the uninitiated: runway 14 at Tivat.

That was a spectacular approach/landing. Seeing it from the cockpit like that makes the fact that IL-86s operated from there all the more remarkable.

Keeping the IL-86 theme going, this onboard view of a takeoff from Ekaterinburg shows how shallow of a climb rate the type has when fully laden.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Superb video, and strangely reminiscent of my first time aboard an A340-600.
The IL-86 (and IL-96) have always reminded me of the A340 generally (though it's obviously not hard to see why lol). Though I suspect the A340-600 you were on wasn't quite as noisy as that IL-86!

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Yeah, somewhat surprising the IL-86 was even allowed to operate out of Tivat given it's relative lack of power and the overall difficulties of flying in and out of there.

This video is mindblowing: takeoff is from about 2:20, and I'm stunned that this was ever allowed there! It can't be more than 10m off the ground at that point. To show where this was, here's a Google Street View link.

In comparison, a modern airliner will be well above the ground at that point, as seen here with an Easyjet A320.

Keeping the IL-86 theme going, this onboard view of a takeoff from Ekaterinburg shows how shallow of a climb rate the type has when fully laden.

I'm seriously shocked that it even got off the ground with that level of performance. I knew the Kuznetsov NK-86 engines were underpowered, but I didn't realise that they were so drastically underpowered.

Strathclyder

Established Member
This video is mindblowing: takeoff is from about 2:20, and I'm stunned that this was ever allowed there! It can't be more than 10m off the ground at that point. To show where this was, here's a Google Street View link.

Seen that one as well. The different angle (not directly under the flightpath) really does illustrate how the IL-86 is literally having to claw it's way into the air.

In comparison, a modern airliner will be well above the ground at that point, as seen here with an Easyjet A320.

Like chalk and cheese really.

I'm seriously shocked that it even got off the ground with that level of performance. I knew the Kuznetsov NK-86 engines were underpowered, but I didn't realise that they were so drastically underpowered.
Indeed. Like I say, it was/is The Era of Stagnation in airliner form. Despite all that and contray to what the underpowered engines would (rightly) lead you to believe, the IL-86 never had a single passenger fatality during it's career as a passenger-carrying aircraft. Yes, I won't deny that there have been tragic and fatal accidents involving the type, but none of the fatalites there-in involved passengers; much the same applies to the IL-96 as a matter of fact. Something of a miracle, I'd say.

One last IL-86 video (for now! lol) showcasing the views from onboard an Atlant Soyuz-operated example on a flight from Antalya in Turkey to Vnukovo:

nlogax

Established Member
The IL-86 (and IL-96) have always reminded me of the A340 generally (though it's obviously not hard to see why lol). Though I suspect the A340-600 you were on wasn't quite as noisy as that IL-86!

If memory serves correctly I was in the cheap seats and from the back of the plane it felt like it was really struggling! Towards the end of the take-off roll I feared we'd opted to take the M4 instead of the skies.

Strathclyder

Established Member
If memory serves correctly I was in the cheap seats and from the back of the plane it felt like it was really struggling! Towards the end of the take-off roll I feared we'd opted to take the M4 instead of the skies.
Yeah, the feeling that such large airplanes are struggling to get into the air is of course heightened if you're sat at the back. As elegant as I think the A340-600 is overall, it does look from certain angles like it's just a smidge too long. I dunno, maybe that's just me lol

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've just posted this Harrier; it's an extract from my previous very long ( nearly 38 minutes ) video showing the final voyage of the QE2 at Southampton.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Bumping this thread up for a vid of another British jetliner that never really stood a chance on the world stage: the VC-10. Been on something of a classic jetliner kick lately, and the VC-10's howling Rolls-Royce Conways are the perfect antidote. ;)

A (very fast and noisy!) takeoff of a TMA (Trans-Mediterranean Airways) Boeing 707-300 (an ex-Pan Am airframe) freighter at Ostend Airport in June 2001. Skip to 2:20 for the takeoff roll (pin the lugs back for those screaming JT8Ds!) and note the puffs of black smoke/dust when the landing gear is retracted after takeoff at 3:17. Absolutely bloody glorious stuff.

The same user's channel is filled with similar stuff of both classic Western and ex-Soviet jets (with a few pistons & turbo-props thrown in) at Ostend, well worth going through his catalouge imo. @nlogax & @Cloud Strife sounds like something you'd both be interested in. ;)

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have just uploaded my latest YouTube and it's the 2010 Farnborough air show as seen from inside the VIP terminal; Red Arrows, Lancaster, Vulcan - they all star in this one... :)

Cloud Strife

Established Member
@nlogax & @Cloud Strife sounds like something you'd both be interested in. ;)

I missed this completely! Thank you very much for this, I'm going to settle down and go through this now. That 707 takeoff was ridiculous, they just chucked it around the taxiway, lined up and let rip. It even sounds like the engines were spooling up before they even lined up with the runway.

I've had a similar experience to this once in Munich, where the plane was deiced and then taxied for what seemed like an eternity around the airport. Then, the plane trundled along an entrance to the runway (possibly 08L) and they were already accelerating before entering the runway. An absolutely fantastic feeling to not have the usual 90 degree turn, but rather for the plane to just get onto the runway and out of these quickly.

nlogax

Established Member
I missed this completely! Thank you very much for this, I'm going to settle down and go through this now. That 707 takeoff was ridiculous, they just chucked it around the taxiway, lined up and let rip. It even sounds like the engines were spooling up before they even lined up with the runway.
Have to admit.. completely the same! I missed any notifications in the alerts section. Thanks @Strathclyder , you've definitely nailed it re. my airliner preferences with that recommendation :D

Edit: damn, that taxi was more like a Top Gear lap. Full pelt and good handling on the corners..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.