• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AWS/TPWS integration within ETCS-equipped rolling stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

XAM2175

Established Member
TPWS can't be emulated by the ETCS display.
Is it that it can't, or just hasn't been done so far? As far as I can guess, the TPWS control logic would be contained in the ETCS Specific Transmission Module and thus the TPWS indicators could be shown on the DMI with the release buttons being emulated by the DMI's softkeys.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
Is it that it can't, or just hasn't been done so far? As far as I can guess, the TPWS control logic would be contained in the ETCS Specific Transmission Module and thus the TPWS indicators could be shown on the DMI with the release buttons being emulated by the DMI's softkeys.
As far as I can tell from my datasheets - Unipart TPWSfour specifically - a modern TPWS control unit is capable of being integrated with an ETCS DMI. In this instance, the AWS/TPWS control logic remains within the Unipart FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) box. ”Acknowledge” buttons (AWS/TPWS and ETCS respectively) should remain as physical pushbuttons.

I’m not familiar with Thales kit, so I’m not sure how it integrates with ETCS.

JN114

Established Member
ETCS DMI certainly emulates TPWS 4 / AWS on the Heathrow Express 387s while running in “NTC” mode - at least for the indications and TPWS specific buttons (as soft keys on screen). A proper AWS plunger is still provided; and backup AWS sunflower and TPWS 4 interface are provided in the event of ETCS having to be isolated; located on the driving desk beside the DMI and above the DOO monitors respectively. The backups only function when the ETCS key switch is turned to the ISO position.

Nym

Established Member
ETCS can display "TPWS Four" indications, but this is not supported by several types of the ETCS implementation in the UK.
Each implementation I have seen, as @D365 says, is a retention of the TPWS FPGA with hard inputs or a datastream input either into the EVC (Main computer for ETCS) or directly to the displays. So as much as it's displaying TPWS indications including AWS, it doesn't implement AWS or TPWS.

MarkyT

Established Member
ISTR they also managed to emulate TPWS/AWS properly in NTC mode, using the preferred EVC and STM (Specific Transmission Module) technique on the Siemens Class 700s for Thameslink, and presumably the GN 717s. Don't know whether back-up independent sounder, sunflower, TPWS buttons etc are provided for case of complete ETCS isolation, as described above for the Heathrow 387s.

Fragezeichnen

The Thameslink units have no duplicate indicators so far as I know. Perhaps because these trains were intended to use ETCS in daily service right from the start, the situation is a bit different to something like the IET which were delivered with ETCS, to remain out of use indefinitely.

Strictly speaking, there is to my knowledge no commercially available STM for TPWS. An STM is a unit which communicates with an ETCS computer via a digital PROFIBUS interface according to the protocol defined in UNISIG Subset-035, thus minimising the amount of work needed to integrate additional national safety systems.
The TPWSfour however has simple interface consisting of various input/output pins which are turned on and off to indicate the device state, so anyone wanting to integrate it with an ETCS control unit would have to build their own hardware to interface to it and write their own STM, or integrate it via some other route.

MarkyT

Established Member
The Thameslink units have no duplicate indicators so far as I know. Perhaps because these trains were intended to use ETCS in daily service right from the start, the situation is a bit different to something like the IET which were delivered with ETCS, to remain out of use indefinitely.

Strictly speaking, there is to my knowledge no commercially available STM for TPWS. An STM is a unit which communicates with an ETCS computer via a digital PROFIBUS interface according to the protocol defined in UNISIG Subset-035, thus minimising the amount of work needed to integrate additional national safety systems.
The TPWSfour however has simple interface consisting of various input/output pins which are turned on and off to indicate the device state, so anyone wanting to integrate it with an ETCS control unit would have to build their own hardware to interface to it and write their own STM, or integrate it via some other route.
Mors Smitt have a module that claims to be a STM for TPWS and AWS. If you download the pdf leaflet they cite over a thousand installations in Bombardier and Stadler units, and the ability to interface with ETCS in a number of different ways.

Nym

Established Member
Mors Smitt have a module that claims to be a STM for TPWS and AWS. If you download the pdf leaflet they cite over a thousand installations in Bombardier and Stadler units, and the ability to interface with ETCS in a number of different ways.
That would be the TPWS unit with numerous NIRs (Notifiable Incidents) raised against it because of software configuration issues on the Class 345s, as much as close integration is a good thing, it can also cause problems as the amount of software creeps up, and starts to loose proper version control and testing.

Even for a SIL-2 (Safety Integrity Level 2, higher numbers for more 'integral' systems that can fail less), system like PPOS (Physical Prevention of OverSpeeding) (Croydon Tram) the version control and software access and levels of access available to maintainers on it is very, very limited. For TPWS (SIL-4 I believe) there should be no modification available to operators.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Don't know whether back-up independent sounder, sunflower, TPWS buttons etc are provided for case of complete ETCS isolation, as described above for the Heathrow 387s.

No physical buttons for backup but the DMI does have a built in redundancy so if the DMI failed you can swap over to the backup

XAM2175

Established Member
Thanks all. This was split out of a discussion on the new Stadler units for the Tyne and Wear Metro - it was suggested by @DanNCL that the absence of 'traditional' AWS and TPWS indicators and controls in the mock-up cab was an indication that they had been omitted from the final specification, but I'm gratified that my hunch that it could (in theory at least) all be run through ETCS and the DMI turned out to be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.