• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

AXC fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

andylloyd

Aye up all,
am trying to book a bash from EDB-Plymouth with AXC for the booked HST service.
I however am having issues with a one way fare for £153. Is there any other way of doing the AXC HST cheaper?

Cheers
Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
XC advance purchase availabilty is atrocious IMO. What dates are you trying to book? Check AP fares have been released.

First class

Established Member
If you're under 26, or over and at university you should get a railcard for £26 which would discount your ticket to £101 or return at £108.

If you're over 60, you can get a Senior railcard for £26 to get the above prices.

mumrar

Established Member
XC advance purchase availabilty is atrocious IMO.

They make available the same quantity of AP fares for each specific day be it a Mon, Tue, Wed etc. excluding bank holidays. The availability problem is purely down to them being purchased. That is just the same complaint as the people who queued for hours outside M&S for the 1p sale and complained when they ran out. Did they expect them to sell their entire stock at 1p for the day?? AXC can't be expected to provide as many AP fares as is demanded otherwise trains would be fully reserved and people with anytime tickets would have to stand.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'm still confused about how VT and even XC in their early days could offer some very decent AP singles on many of there trains (of course subject to availability/quotas), yet this is no longer the case?

mumrar

Established Member
I'm still confused about how VT and even XC in their early days could offer some very decent AP singles on many of there trains (of course subject to availability/quotas), yet this is no longer the case?

You've answered your own question. In their early days passengers were not aware of AP fares as much. Now after years of familiarity and a financial crisis lots look to save money. But rolling stock is not going to have increased in line with AP fare sales. It's the same with cheap flights once they're gone that's it. Now the OP has to answer one question. Do I really need to go then? If the answer is yes you'll need to pay, otherwise look on other dates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.