• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BA 777 & 787 Short Haul Routes Feb 2023-April 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred43123

BA is planning on utlising Boeing 777s and 787s on several short routes owing to cargo demand between February and April. A good chance to get a widebody on the cheap and a club suite as many flights are planned to be 772s while Dublin is a 777-300 without the club suites.

More here:
According to the latest schedule information from Cirium, British Airways is planning 31 short-haul widebody flights to destinations typically served by the Airbus A320 family between February and April.

One can confirm that the widebody is scheduled for their flight by checking the seating plan or flight details. In the below screenshot from Google Flights, you can see that the 15:20 flight is planned with a Boeing 787, the 17:50 flight has a Boeing 777, and the 20:40 flight has an Airbus A320 planned. As passengers are welcome on these flights, it is an excellent opportunity to experience a premium cabin that may otherwise be out of their price or travel range. Some flights are scheduled to operate with the 1-2-1 club suite product introduced in the summer of 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stuart100100

I booked Berlin on 4th March about 4pm this afternoon and I've just logged in to look at the seating plan again and it's been changed to an A320!

Fred43123

I booked Berlin on 4th March about 4pm this afternoon and I've just logged in to look at the seating plan again and it's been changed to an A320!
If you cancel it now because it’s within 24 hours you should get a full refund, same for the 25th March too, it’s showing as an A320

stuart100100

If you cancel it now because it’s within 24 hours you should get a full refund, same for the 25th March too, it’s showing as an A320
Will that work if I do it online? In the Ts and Cs on the website it says you have to call them if wanting a full refund within 24 hours

Peter0124

Established Member
A 55 minute flight on a 777 will be fun!
I take it the Dublin ones will use the G-STBx aircraft? Could even be the ones that come off that BA16 flight from Sydney

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
A 55 minute flight on a 777 will be fun!
That is, of course, not the shortest 777 flight they operate. That is (almost certainly) Antigua to Saint Kitts. It's typically less than 20 minutes airborne and a couple of minutes less on the way back.

PsychoMouse

Booked myself a short trip next month.

BHX - Stocholm Arlanda (Ryanair)
Arlanda - Oslo (Ethopian 787-9)
Oslo - Cophenhagen (Norwegian)
Billund - BHX (Ryanair)

All for the nice sum of around £90... Can't complain. It'll be my first 787 ride too.

I did consider the Finnair A350 to Helsinki from LHR but couldn't justify the £150.

Interstingly enough on Ethiopian you can bid on empty first class seats starting at around $90. Might be worth a cheeky punt, a lie flat seat on an hour long flight will be fun.

lawried123

Billund - BHX (Ryanair)

All for the nice sum of around £90... Can't complain. It'll be my first 787 ride too.

I did consider the Finnair A350 to Helsinki from LHR but couldn't justify the £150.

Interstingly enough on Ethiopian you can bid on empty first class seats starting at around $90. Might be worth a cheeky punt, a lie flat seat on an hour long flight will be fun.
I've also booked a return to Frankfurt next month, out on a 777 and back to London City airport, neither which I've done before. So far it's still booked as a 777, just hoping it doesn't change. Unfortunately I wasn't available on the 12th of April to do both widebodies's on the one day.

Lawrie

gabrielhj07

Well BAW834 was rather busy today, although I did hear that BA pulled another flight to move pax onto the more capacious 777.

lawried123

The same thing has just happened to me. The flight I booked for 24 March has been shown all this week as being a 777, it's now an Airbus A321 and an email from BA has said it may well be severely delayed. As I had booked a later return flight to London City, I don't want to take the risk of being stuck in Frankfurt. A shame, but that's the chance I took !

nw1

Established Member
Not at all. Short haul wide bodies are common in Europe where the carrier has peak cargo demand. I’ve flown loads. Even got a Swiss A340 back in 2020 over to Zurich.

I realise this is very late but just seen this thread.

Regarding continental carriers, there used to be an Iberia A340 which did Madrid-London and back in the evening, every day IIRC. Probably around 2010-15.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Regarding continental carriers, there used to be an Iberia A340 which did Madrid-London and back in the evening, every day IIRC. Probably around 2010-15.
Iberia still send at least one and often two daily 330s on this route, and sometimes a 350.

ivorytoast28

Air Europa also have a daily BCN-MAD flight with the 787-9. I took it business class a few months ago as flying from Barcelona with a stop halved the price of a direct aeromexico flight from Madrid to Mexico City making it even cheaper than the economy non stop. Must be one of the shortest widebody routes at least in Europe

PsychoMouse

Billund - BHX (Ryanair)

Thought I'd leave some notes on this.

Ryanair out was the standard 737-800, perfectly fine flight.

787 was great, my first ride on one. I got to the gate and i was the ONLY person waiting to board, asked for a cheeky upgrade and they popped me in business class which was fantastic. Plenty of people disembarked at Stockholm so the leg to Oslo was maybe 25% full. Can't moan for £40 :E

Never flown on Norwegian either, no different to Ryanair. snagged an exit row seat which made it more comfortable.

Ryanair from Billund landed me my first 737 Max8 and I have to say I'm impressed. I booked an exit row this time for an extra £10 but the normal seats felt slightly bigger than that on the -800. Plane was exceptionally quiet and the cabin was much better than any Airbus NEO I've flown on.

Status
Not open for further replies.