• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann - EZ Command DCC Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have pursuaded my other half that it is a good idea to get our wee one a train set for Christmas. The one on my (ahem, I mean his) wishlist is a Bachmann digital starter kit. It come with the EZ Command DCC Controller.

My train set is an old analogue set up. Is the EZ a good controller? It looks simple enough for a seven year old (and a 32 year old) to handle.

Also, how cheap/expensive is it to get my analogue power cars converted over?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
DCC decoders range from about £10 for the more basic ones (Hornby, Bachmann, etc), older models (and those still produced to an old design) will need to have the decoder hardwired (you will need a soldering iron). The ease of fitting varies by locomotive with some being very easy and some, like older Hornby locomotives, being more difficult (because electricity is passed through the motor chassis). You can find model shops that will fit DCC decoders for you, but I doubt they are cheap.

Before commiting a locomotive to DCC control you should test how well the loco runs on analogue (DC) if at all possible. If it doesn't run well on DC, it won't run well on DCC.

The EZ command DCC controller will do what it has to do, but it will be quite basic. For your first step in DCC this will be fine. It can memorize 10 locomotives, however, soon you will amass more models and ten addresses just won't be enough. A bigger better system is enevitable!

Depending on your 'wee one's' interests, you might be able to get a set with a 'Dynamis' controller in it. This is much more useful in the long term with many additional features but the sets tend to be much more expensive (as you might expect), and it's not advisable for small children.

Status
Not open for further replies.