• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bachmann v Hornby Class 08

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
G'day everyone,

I've just completed the track and electrics on my north London based goods yard / parcels depot and now want to purchase a class 08 as my first loco. Out of the Hornby and Bachmann models which is the best; both for detail and slow running? My layout is set in the mid 60's so I’d be looking for something in green complete with "wasps". I'm not bothered about DCC compatibility or anything that attempts to make a realistic noise.

Thanks for your help,

Richmond Commuter!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

K9-70

I take it that we are talking about the super detailed Hornby 08, and not the Railroad version ?
For detail, the super detailed Hornby 08 wins hands down, especially over the Railroad version.
I have the Hornby and Bachmann 08 models, both Dcc'd and if anything the Hornby runs slower at the same settings as the Bachmann model runs at with no stalling over the crossings either.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I take it that we are talking about the super detailed Hornby 08, and not the Railroad version ?
For detail, the super detailed Hornby 08 wins hands down, especially over the Railroad version.
I have the Hornby and Bachmann 08 models, both Dcc'd and if anything the Hornby runs slower at the same settings as the Bachmann model runs at with no stalling over the crossings either.

Thanks for your reply and advice. Yes definitely the super detailed version! I have electrofrog Peco points so the prospects for slow running look good!

On the basis of what you've said i will go for the Hornby version. However at the moment i'm unable to find a model which doesn't have DCC or sound which is a pity as i was hoping to place an order this week. Any ideas about how i should start looking for a second hand one? Reputable sellers etc.

Roylang

I would agree, I have 08s from both manufacturers and consider the Hornby version to be far superior.

Hope that helps,

Roy

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I would agree, I have 08s from both manufacturers and consider the Hornby version to be far superior.

Hope that helps,

Roy

Yes it does, thanks very much! Any ideas how i can find one in green with wasps but without DCC and sound? Hornby don't appear to produce one at the moment which is a shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.